DKM Graf Zeppelin by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Greg, just got thru with the first page of this build only to find you already have 10 pages posted! Its amazing how much ground you cover in just 3 months.

Interesting choice for a build. I've read a ton of naval history but never gave this ship much attention since she was never completed. I had no idea she was so big, I just assumed as Germany's first carrier that they would have started off with something small to learn the tricks of naval aviation. Guess they must have thought "Ach, how hard can it be?" Given Germany's huge problems with inter service squabbling its interesting to think what problems they would have run into if she had become operational. I'm sure they would have made the RN's problems with RAF control of carrier plane design and acquisition seem minor by comparison.

Your scratch building and weathering are, as always, the top of the game. 

Now, back to page 2 of your build!

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

On 7/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, mtdoramike said:

I'm curious since you are about done with her, would this model be a decent candidate for Radio control conversion? Is there enough room for the motors, servos, batteries and would it float high enough in the water to keep from getting soaked?

mike 

Not wanting to jump in but there's a kinda low quality video example of an RC converted Graf at 1/350 on you tube, 

The issue with carriers is always stability but where there's will there's a way, stripping out any bit of plastic that can't be seen helps but often there isn't much you can save, but have seen a 1/350 Kaga conversion as well which was a bit unstable but okay if it was a very still bit  of water,

The build by the way is phenomenal, I'm just getting back into the hobby after ten odd years and experimenting with photo etch, yet to brave weathering but this is certainly a motivating example of what can be achieved,

The planes will definitely be a challenge.  It will also take a lot of time to install the appropriate RC gear so they can all be individually flown and landed on the flight deck..

Alan

14 hours ago, amateur said:

You can ask @Dan Vadas to build some out of paper  :) 

JSC has a german catapult-ship that includes the B&V 138 at scale 1:400. Some rescaling at the photocopier, and you're done :)

certainly cheaper than that kit

Jan

Yeah, no worries. As long as you can afford my rates of $150 per hour (kidding ;) :D ). Fenten's in Brisbane have the Bussard/Falke kit with 5 B&V 138's (in 1/250 scale) for $AU16.00 plus postage (about $8.00). Just a thought, the ship itself looks interesting. Hmmmm.......

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Is that price for just one airplane?  :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

......an ungodly bird........I've never seen one before

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

2 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

Yeah, no worries. As long as you can afford my rates of $150 per hour (kidding ;) :D ). Fenten's in Brisbane have the Bussard/Falke kit with 5 B&V 138's (in 1/250 scale) for $AU16.00 plus postage (about $8.00). Just a thought, the ship itself looks interesting. Hmmmm.......

Danny

A new challenge Dan ... Wood .. paper .. plastic ...?

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Is that price for just one airplane?  :o

No, you re missing shipping ... about the same price, you could build it at the shop and fly it over to your own place, but you need something to shrink :P 

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

......an ungodly bird........I've never seen one before

That's as far as the likeness with birds go

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi danny,

Yeah, that'svthe one I meant. You wouldn't like the kit, though. 

It is JSC design, with all its problems. The 1:250 B&V looks convincing, though.

Bussard was an interesting ship: it was the German answer to the fact the after WW-I treaties didn't germany allow for a carrier. (Shen ended a bit out of her original purpose after the war, as a dredger in Rotterdam....)

Jan

Would filling the bottom with lead weights for ballast help?

The other thought is that since you can’t see below the waterline, what about using a keel plate hung below the model?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

You'll need the rescaled paper version :)

cut, glue, ready ;)

or cut glue, spray, filler, spray again, base colour, oil canning, spray again, chipping. Done.

You can do it, and the bv 138 was a sea plane. Not designed for carries: it had no landinggear, it was mainly in use on those catapult ships: in the water, until loaded onto the launch platform, shot into the air. No need for wheels.

IMG_0688.thumb.JPG.577b1b3426bd22ec3bc922f9bdd81fc7.JPG

Don't envy you Greg, think the monotonous tasks just vary by ship and modeling medium 😞  Question though, would the plans have been painted with a land or naval camo?  Thinking greens/browns for the former, and greens/blues for the latter?  I could see it being either consider the GZ's situation.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Perhaps no naval colours, but for a number ofaircraft, they used a winter/ summer scheme, and they also had night/day schemes for thier bombers.

Those little planes look good. (And why is there a special place in hell foryou? Perhaps it will be heaven, as a reward for doing a great job)

Jan

Some of the German bombers were used over water. See the FW200 Condor and JU188 paint schemes. True most fighters didn't spend much time over water.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Nah, you'll go straight to heaven Greg - you have done your penance already doing the cammo.  My vote would be a naval cammo if it is not too late.  This ship was intended for sea operations; the only reason we see their planes over land all the time is that they rarely went to sea.  The exceptions being the seaplanes and maritime patrol aircraft  (especially the 'Condor'); the latter had a grey colour scheme if I remember back from my youth making plastic planes - the memory cells just ain't what they used to be :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The man is mad  - weathering a 1/350 scale plane  - amazing work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

The man is mad  - weathering a 1/350 scale plane  - amazing work.

OC.

Well see how mad he is if he does such things as "oil leaks".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And the scribing of the various parts of the fuselage :)

I tried to turn a piece of ,5 mm copper wire round a piece of evergreen this weekend, and my eyes went cross. I cant even think how just plain painting can be done on these flysize thingies.....

Jan

Edited by amateur

7 minutes ago, amateur said:

And the aciving of the various parts of the fuslage :)

I tried to turn a piece of ,5 mm copper wire round a piece of evergreen this eeekend, and my eyes went cross. I cant even think how just plain painting can be done on these flysize thingies.....

Jan

with a very small brush!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...