HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks muchly Christian, Greg, John, Carl and David :) .

Jeer Tyes

The jeer tyes support the lower yards. These would have been a fair bit easier to fit before raising the Topmasts  :huh:  .

Two 20" single blocks, one each side, are double stropped with very long strops :

Jeer Tyes 004.jpg

A cleat each side of the mast supports the strops. TFFM suggested the following method of making the cleats to allow the lashings for the strops to be fitted more easily, but after I'd done them this way I think it would have been easier to make them in one piece. The small "feet" at the top were a real pain to fit afterward, and a needle treader can be used to pass the line through one-piece cleats with a minimum of fuss :

Jeer Tyes 001.jpg

Jeer Tyes 002.jpg

The lashings take a little while to fit, as there are six turns around the mast for each (there are supposed to be seven, but I made the lashing line a bit too short  :(  ).

Jeer Tyes 006.jpg

Jeer Tyes 007.jpg

Jeer Tyes 009.jpg

The strops should be long enough for the blocks to sit beneath the tops by about half their length. The yard will sit at the level of the futtock shrouds when they are rigged :

Jeer Tyes 010.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Super work Danny,

one can think its the actual ship, beautiful rigging

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

beautiful!!! work on the rigging Danny....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Absolutely beautiful work Danny! Looking pretty busy up under those mast tops now. Truly a lesson in precision. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nice clean work Danny.  One of the advantages to come out of my  recent 'error' of incorrect scaling and having to replace my top masts and rigging was the realisation that it was easier to fit the jeer/tye blocks early as you have pointed out.  Still would have preferred not having to remake the masts though :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you too Nils, Frank, George and Pat.

Topsail Sheet Blocks

These are a Shoulder Block. The Lift blocks are seized to them as well. Here are a few pics of a carved sheet block :

Topsail Sheet Blocks 001.jpg

Topsail Sheet Blocks 002.jpg

My method of seizing the two blocks together. Note the gap in the strops to allow the lashing to pass through :

Topsail Sheet Blocks 006.jpg

Topsail Sheet Blocks 007.jpg

Topsail Sheet Blocks 008.jpg

Topsail Sheet Blocks 009.jpg

Topsail Sheet Blocks 010.jpg

Topsail Sheet Blocks 012.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Bravo!......skill at both craftsmanship as well as the images provided.......please don't stop!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Blocks fitted to the Lower Yards

An overview of most of the main yard. There are 23 blocks in total. The Fore yard is virtually identical except for it's length and diameter :

Blocks 001.jpg

The central portion showing the Jeer Block (top), the Quarter Blocks (lower inner) and the Clueline blocks (lower outer) :

Blocks 002.jpg

One of the four Stirrups (not yet adjusted and stiffened). Note the three turns around the yard :

Blocks 003.jpg

The Leechline block (inner) and one of the four small Tricing Line blocks. The Yard Cleats have also been fitted :

Blocks 004.jpg

The Topsail Sheet/Lift blocks fitted :

Blocks 005.jpg

And the Yard Tackle block (inner violin block) and the Brace block :

Blocks 006.jpg

Here is a list of all the blocks for the main yard (the fore yard is the same) :

Jeer Blocks - 1 x 20" single plus 2 x 20" single Jeer Tye Blocks fitted to the mast. These blocks are double stropped.

Quarter Blocks - 2 x 14" single

Topsail Sheet Blocks - 2 x 12" Shoulder

Yard Tackle Blocks - 2 x 15" Violin

Clueline Blocks - 2 x 9" single

Lift Blocks - 2 x 9" single

Buntline Blocks - 4 x 8" single

Brace Blocks - 2 x 8" single

Leechline Blocks - 2 x 7" single

Tricing Line Blocks - 4 x 6" single

Cheers, Danny

Dan.... Having spent the last two hours on this amazing log, I am completely blown away. This should be a virtual Modelers Handbook in advanced building technique. Can't remember learning so much in only a couple of hours....and that is only your first ten pages! This is not a build to be rushed through. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your work.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

After going back into your log Danny, P.100 +, I was admiring your shrouds and I have to ask if you wormed the lines before serving, to smooth out the wavy look of rope when served, or does the difference lie between using 3 or 4 strands around a core when making the shroud? I'm planning on learning how eventually myself, and it seems like a necessary skill.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you too Nils, Frank, George and Pat.

Topsail Sheet Blocks

These are a Shoulder Block. The Lift blocks are seized to them as well. Here are a few pics of a carved sheet block :

attachicon.gifTopsail Sheet Blocks 001.jpg

attachicon.gifTopsail Sheet Blocks 002.jpg

My method of seizing the two blocks together. Note the gap in the strops to allow the lashing to pass through :

attachicon.gifTopsail Sheet Blocks 006.jpg

attachicon.gifTopsail Sheet Blocks 007.jpg

attachicon.gifTopsail Sheet Blocks 008.jpg

attachicon.gifTopsail Sheet Blocks 009.jpg

attachicon.gifTopsail Sheet Blocks 010.jpg

attachicon.gifTopsail Sheet Blocks 012.jpg

Danny,

your arrangement shoulderblock / liftblock looks great.

Just a question : are you securing the block stropping (with glue or so) into the block`s groove, so it wo`nt snap out at the point later on where you do`nt have much access to tackle it once more ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Danny

OUTSTANDING! What more can I say. Your step by step instructions will help me a lot when I'm doing my rigging. ..

Bravo for being an EXCELLENT TEACHER or your craft.

Thanks a million million.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thank you for the comments John, Dave, John, Kees and Greg. Much appreciated :) .

are you securing the block stropping (with glue or so) into the block`s groove, so it wo`nt snap out at the point later on where you do`nt have much access to tackle it once more ?

I sure did Nils. I use a LOT of diluted PVA when I'm doing strops and siezings. It's very easy to clean up while still wet with a Q-tip. The PVA helps to keep the line in shape while I'm tying it.

I have to ask if you wormed the lines before serving

No I didn't George. At this scale, and with Chuck's rigging line, it wasn't necessary. The Quilting Cotton I used for the serving was sufficiently stiff to "smooth out the bumps" in the line.

Cheers, Danny

Stunsail Irons

The stunsail irons support the Stunsail (or Studding Sail) Booms on the yards. The booms can be retracted inboard along the yard when not in use.

The iron work for these turned out to be fairly easy to make. I started by cutting the larger inner rings from some tubing of the correct size (which I had in stock) using the parting tool in my lathe. The outer rings are smaller in diameter and width, and as I didn't have any tubing of that size I turned and bored some round stock to the correct size.

Next I drilled a 0.7mm hole into each ring for the legs.

Not having any 0.6mm square bar for the legs I made my own from 0.7mm wire. I bent one end of the wire so I could control which face I had on top, and then simply hammered the wire flat on all four sides. Again, this is a lot easier than it seems at first :) :

Stunsail Irons 001.jpg

Stunsail Irons 002.jpg

I pushed the end of the squared wire into the rings and silver soldered them together. Note that I left the square stock at full length whilst soldering so that I could control the direction of the squared section. I trimmed these to length after soldering :

Stunsail Irons 003.jpg

Stunsail Irons 004.jpg

Stunsail Irons 005.jpg

I made the straps and reinforcing rings from thin card which I dyed with black wood stain. These are glued on with PVA :

Stunsail Irons 006.jpg

Stunsail Irons 007.jpg

The irons fit to the fore upper section of the yard at a 45 degree angle from the vertical :

Stunsail Irons 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Carl, David and George.

Figurehead

My figurehead arrived the other day :) . This was carved by Janos - a brilliant job as usual, and something I don't have much talent at :D .

The only thing I really had to do was fit it - this took the best part of 2 hours, as I had to CAREFULLY cut the slot between it's wings to fit around the stem :

Figurehead 001.jpg

Figurehead 002.jpg

Figurehead 003.jpg

Figurehead 005.jpg

All done :) .

Figurehead 006.jpg

Figurehead 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Your build is one of the gold standards and Janos is one of the gold standards for carving. The WOW factor just went to 11.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great "how to" on the iron work Danny. And I guess a great "how to" on carving figureheads as well - ask Janos to do it! ;):P

Seriously though, the figurehead looks great and is another example of this great community helping each other out. Kudos to Janos.

Wonderful figurehead, Dan.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

beautiful work Danny,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Danny

GREAT job again! Your eye for details is amazing. Your ship is now the best. Having two masters, you and Janos, this vessel is have gone pass the out most planet in our solar system in the level of human's endeavour.

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks once again Carl, George, Mark, Grant, Janos, Crackers, Christian, Nils, Greg and Mhegazi and also for all the "likes" :) .

Truss Pendant Tackles

The Truss Pendants prevent the yards from pulling away from the masts in a forward direction. There is one on each side of the mast.

Work begins by stropping a thimble in each one. The line turns around the yard and is seized back to itself :

Truss Pendant Tackles 001.jpg

Then each line is passed around the mast and through the thimble in it's opposite number. I've only temporarily tied the yard through the jeer blocks to prevent it from dropping - I'm awaiting some more suitable size rigging thread from Chuck :

Truss Pendant Tackles 002.jpg

The falls for each tackle have a double block at their ends. The tackle passes through this block and through a single block with a hook stropped to it. The strop is long enough to clear the bitts. This hooks into an eyebolt at the foot of the mast. This is the fore tackle :

Truss Pendant Tackles.jpg

Truss Pendant Tackles 004.jpg

And the main tackle :

Truss Pendant Tackles 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny