HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thank you again for the very kind comments Nils, Greg, David, Christian, Allan, Russell, Carl, John and Robin. They are all appreciated :) .

Russell, I get my rigging line from Syren Ship Models.

John, when I bought the rigging line Chuck hadn't started making right-handed line (I believe he does now). Besides, small ships such as Vulture were sometimes rigged left-handed so I took a bit of licence here :D .

Fore Topgallant Stay

Before the fore topgallant stay can be fitted the treble block for the stay and the topgallant Bowlines needs to be slipped over the end of the jibboom. I've used a treble block rather than a triple thimble collar, first because this setup was used on some ships of the period and second because it's easier :D .

I did however make a two thimble collar for the spritsail yard lifts :

Spritsail Yard Lift Collar.jpg

Spritsail Yard Lift Collar 001.jpg

The topgallant stay is fitted to the topgallant mast in similar fashion to those on the main and mizzen masts. It passes through the middle hole in the treble block at the end of the jibboom and finishes with a thimble which is lashed to the starboard side of the fore preventer stay heart block using a collar :

Jib Stay 001.jpg

Jib Stay 004.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Jib Stay

The jib stay starts on the Traveller. It's seized to the ring between the starboard side of the shackle and the hook :

Jib Stay 007.jpg

Then it passes through the upper sheave on the starboard side cheek block on the topmast head :

Jib Stay 006.jpg

It finishes by being tied to the starboard topmast backstay above the deadeye :

Jib Stay 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Mast Trucks

I'd previously turned the mast trucks, now I've drilled four 0.3mm holes in each to simulate the sheaves for the flag halliards :

Mast Trucks 001.jpg

A couple of pics of the trucks fitted :

Mast Trucks 002.jpg

Mast Trucks 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I've also fitted the fore topgallant shrouds and backstays. These were done in similar fashion to those on the main mast.

This concludes all the standing rigging apart from the Guy Pendants Falls. These have been partially rigged and will be finished off when the Spritsail Yard is fitted.

Here are a couple of pics of the completed standing rigging :

Completed Standing Rigging 001.jpg

Completed Standing Rigging 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

super looking rigging Danny....very nice detail!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A master-piece, Dan !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Just beautiful, Danny.  I hope you'll celebrate this milestone because it's a big one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Outstanding Danny, as we've become accustomed to with this build. Congratulations on reaching another significant milestone too!

I had no intention of masting and rigging my Swan but looking at how sweet Vulture looks I am tempted.  Marvelous work, Danny.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Danny, your log is an inspiration for those who wish to build a Swan Class. If I did not have a model waiting for when I return to Chicago I would probably tackle one myself . Great job.

David B

G'day Danny

What can I say, that hasn't been said a million times before. Great work, great teacher, great log etc.

Are you going to do the running rigging and sails? Hope so, because I don't want this log to stop....... being selfish, I guess

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks for the comments John, George, Greg, Popeye, Steve, David, Mark, Grant, Carl, Toni, John, David and Greg. As always they are much appreciated :) .

I pray that you do not have any rambunctious cats or little ones under foot.

We have a small dog which behaves itself very well in the workshop, but we are also getting a kitten tomorrow to keep him company. THIS could be a problem  :huh:  .

I hope you'll celebrate this milestone because it's a big one.

I'm doing that as we speak Mark :D .

I had no intention of masting and rigging my Swan but looking at how sweet Vulture looks I am tempted.

Oh dear, I hope I haven't created a monster Toni :D .

Are you going to do the running rigging and sails?

I'm about to start making the Yards Greg, which will be followed by complete running rigging. I'm still very undecided about adding sails - I don't want to hide too many of the details of the masts and hull.

And don't worry about this log ending - once I'm finished with Vulture I'll start something else :) .

Cheers, Danny

Billboard

With the standing rigging completed I can now finish off the Billboard. As you can see from the pics below it covers the first three chains on the foremast. The billboard protects these from damage when the anchor is stowed.

The first thing to fit is the previously made Bolster :

Billboard 002.jpg

Next come two stanchions to which are bolted the planks :

Billboard 003.jpg

Billboard 004.jpg

Finally the planks are fitted and "bolted" with 0.7mm headed round head rivets :

Billboard 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

Wow! I marvel at your execution of detail. You could easily publish your log as a practicum on how to do a ship well, including the bumps along the way. Showing us your rework is pure encouragement. I've a Pegasus kit awaiting completion of my current pinnace so I am trolling if you don't mind. Your log is a gold mine for information to all of us.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Danny,

Just got a chance to catch up on your build. Still settling into our new home - not without some major problems.

Looks like all my shop equipment made it all right! Yea! I want to tell you how impressive your VULTURE looks!

You must be very happy with your results. Cannot imagine you would have any regrets. She is beautiful.

Congratulations on your continued accomplishments.

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much Dave and Bryan. 

I've a Pegasus kit awaiting completion of my current pinnace so I am trolling if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all Dave :D . I look forward to seeing the start of Pegasus.

Spritsail Yard

I've started making the Yards. The basic method of making them is pretty much the same for all of them, so I won't detail each step for all of them. Where there are differences in the construction I'll show those details.

Construction starts by marking out the tapers using the 7-10-7 method. Two opposing tapers are sanded into each end using the disc sander - this is easier than it may seem with a bit of practice. Then the other two tapers are done in similar fashion.

Next I marked out the octagons :

Spritsail Yard 001.jpg

and cut them in with a very sharp chisel using my "V" block rest :

Spritsail Yard 003.jpg

The central portion of some of the yards are octagonal in shape with only the outer parts rounded off. The rounded sections were done with a sanding block. I used the lathe to cut a sharp neat transition on each end of the octagon before sanding the round sections.

Spritsail Yard 015.jpg

Cheers, Danny

All the blocks and fittings are much easier to fit BEFORE the yard is fitted to the mast. I didn't do these in the right sequence for this yard, but I learned my lesson :D .

First things to make and fit are the Sling Cleats. These were made from English Box.

I also made the Spritsail Halyard Strop. This has an eye in each end, with a thimble seized into it's "centre" - it's actually a bit off centre with a long and short leg. A lanyard fixes the two eyes around the yard :

Spritsail Yard 006.jpg

Spritsail Yard 007.jpg

Next I made and fitted the Stop Cleats near the ends of the yard. This was the mistake I mentioned earlier - they should have gone on AFTER the other blocks had been fitted as I couldn't slip the block strops over them. It would have been a lot easier if I'd left them until later in the piece.

A strop with a thimble seized into it is fitted at the 3rd quarter of each end of the yard for the Jib Guys :

Spritsail Yard 005.jpg

Spritsail Yard 009.jpg

An overall view of the yard to this stage :

Spritsail Yard 004.jpg

The Clueline blocks are fitted 3 feet from the slings :

Spritsail Yard 010.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Next pieces are the Stirrups and Horses. I've made these from "tarred" line as they get a lot wetter than the horses on the other yards.

The Stirrups have an eye in their lower ends. I made the eyes by passing the line back through itself using a needle threader :

Spritsail Yard 011.jpg

The upper ends of the stirrups turn three times around the yard. On the real ship they were nailed to the yard, but PVA does the job on the model :

Spritsail Yard 013.jpg

Finally the Standing Lifts are fitted. These also have a thimble seized into their outer ends :

Spritsail Yard 012.jpg

I haven't glued the stirrups to the horses yet - I'll do that after the yard has been slung to get them to "hang" neatly.

Cheers, Danny

Dan,

it's a pleasure to follow your log. As allways very nice details

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Danny

Marvellous work is all I can say. Great lesson for the not so experience model maker. Indeed a lesson I'm very interested in.

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Dan,

It;s so nice to have someone build and explain things in such a superb way, that you can fall back on his log for both kit and scratch builds You're build is a true inspiration. Thanks

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...