HMS Indefatigable 1794 (prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64

• 2 weeks later...

For your info, my HMS Indefatigable build will be published as a two-part article in the Model Boats magazine, with the first part available in this month's mag.

It's the Model Boats mag that first drew me into this hobby with Keith Julier's period ship builds. If it wasn't for him, then I doubt MSW would exist, and my interest in this hobby. 

https://www.modelboats.co.uk

Here's the intro pages for Part 1 of my article.

Untitled-1.jpg

22 minutes ago, James H said:

For your info, my HMS Indefatigable build will be published as a two-part article in the Model Boats magazine, with the first part available in this month's mag.

It's the Model Boats mag that first drew me into this hobby with Keith Julier's period ship builds. If it wasn't for him, then I doubt MSW would exist, and my interest in this hobby. 

https://www.modelboats.co.uk

Here's the intro pages for Part 1 of my article.

Untitled-1.jpg

Well deserved!!, congrats @James H

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

That's excellent news, James.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Brilliant news @James H and and more publicity for the fantastic kit

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Congratulations and well done James, very cool!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just for note, Pt.2 of my Indy article is now out in the Model Boats mag. Here's the intro pages. 

My workroom has also had a serious deep clean too. It really needed it. I've reinstated my beck storage station, and stripped down the photo area where you can now see the Indy hull. New cutting mat and this weekend I'll have a new chair so I can work more comfortably.

Ignore the Spitfire kit. That will be started after Indy is complete and I go on a small hiatus from wood.

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Minor update but a massive milestone. 

Indy's masts are now complete except for a few small details like eyelets. Of course, I'll need to use some ochre and black paint on these before fitting to the hull. Eyeing up the alignment shows that NOTHING needs to be adjusted whatsoever, which pleases me totally! Even the bowsprit slots neatly into the bow and locks into the support post on the deck below. 

These masts are LARGE, well, certainly to me as I've never brought a model this size towards completion. After Grecian, this seems gigantic. 

Anyway, here are the pics.

Oh, I'll need a larger white area when it comes to the finals, as you can see here.

DSC_2931.jpg

DSC_2932.jpg

DSC_2934.jpg

DSC_2936.jpg

stunning, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...

Just a question on the upcoming rigging.  Have the conversion to "razee" affected the rigging and masts in some way? Or can we expect everything to basically look the same as on HMS Agememnon?

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

4 hours ago, Vane said:

Just a question on the upcoming rigging.  Have the conversion to "razee" affected the rigging and masts in some way? Or can we expect everything to basically look the same as on HMS Agememnon?

It will have the exact same masts and rig as a 64-gun ship of that period. The only difference being the lower masts are cut a deck shorter to take into account the height difference.

Originally, they gave Indy the mast and yard plan of a 50-gun ship, but that proved almost disastrous, so was changed back to a 64 set up very soon after initial commissioning. 

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

• 2 months later...

Hi Jim,

Sorry to bother you, I have a small puzzlement about the Poop deck beams.

Section 418 shows part PDO attached flush with the top of the forward screen, no issue.

461.thumb.jpg.8a497e39b73243502b66cb272e3a1147.jpg.e9de70afbcf5daa7d8501af9c1cc7dcd.jpg

When the first Poop deck beam PD1 is fitted the screen sits above the beam level as seen on the manual photos in section 454 and as it does on my build.

At the time of fitting I thought the deck pattern would run up to the screen level making the area flush, so thought no more about it.

However, the Poop sub-deck runs across the screen top, so I thought I would check whether you sanded the top of the forward screen level with the first beam or just fitted the Poop sub-deck over it as is.

My feeling is it should be flush, but I didn't want to sand it and then find there is some subtle reason why the screen stands proud.

Regards,

B.E.