Fiat 806 Grand Prix by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Italeri - 1:12

Thanks Mike! 
Finished hacking away at the vent openings, assembled the three main pieces of the body and gave it all a coat of primer. Looks fine I think, I can deal with a few imperfections.

BB687EB7-94CE-47A1-91A9-1EE683DF2945.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Fantastic work, Tim!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

A few shots of this more or less finished rendition of the Italeri Fiat 806 Grand Prix, which is approaching the chequered flag. Bit of a change from wooden ship-building. First car model I’ve ever done now I think of it. Pretty satisfied with the result - the look I was going for was something 100 years old with some long gritty racing under its belt, with lots of oil and petrol flying about. It all went together pretty well. The only kit related issues were some body panel struggles at the front end - the engine cover plastic was pretty bad and hinging apparatus is dodgy, needs to be re engineered. I may redo so it opens to see the engine more easily.

8EE50E6A-39DA-40BE-BB56-0B37CDC3A4D9.jpeg

A43F6332-95D6-4450-9F06-14631074A163.jpeg

839754CD-9EFA-4AC8-92E0-704CD33E7FBF.jpeg

FC9E2004-A780-4BE9-9368-0B6AE6C438DF.jpeg

72961824-E69F-4F71-9DDE-3B79C1D2698F.jpeg

87966FC3-56D7-4FB9-B4B2-796ED661598D.jpeg

8624CB09-28CD-4885-9F55-30B2229E362B.jpeg

D9F80991-597E-42E1-B39D-B715E4BB3F17.jpeg

0D629DDE-153B-406F-A50B-5087EC9DBA69.jpeg

E99CDE32-967A-4E1B-9652-CCABF760DF45.jpeg

7792D242-4FEE-4CBE-A3EE-76CD18F9FBFA.jpeg

C2C296E3-F2A8-4290-B175-8694CF4C91DF.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Deleted repeat pics

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Stunningly beautiful, Tim! The aging effect is amazing. Congratulations!

I know relatively nothing about how modelers create such realistic aging like you have done on this model. I wouldn't know where to start. This may be too broad a question but how did you go about painting your model to look like that?

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Looks just right for a car that a few hours earlier was bright and pristine, but has spent the day being pushed to the limit through the competing pack of cars and weather. GP racing at it's best.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Agree with Lou - really fantastic work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, BobG said:

Stunningly beautiful, Tim! The aging effect is amazing. Congratulations!

I know relatively nothing about how modelers create such realistic aging like you have done on this model. I wouldn't know where to start. This may be too broad a question but how did you go about painting your model to look like that?

Thanks Bob. A bit of aging and colour variation really does give life to a model. The basics I used here were: 

1. I used an airbrush for most of the base colour on major elements. Brush for bits and pieces.

2. I applied a black wash over the base colour using a brush. I varied the amount of paint to water to give more black density to some edges, bolts etc. I also dabbed a bit of rust colour on some mechanicals and springs. It’s a bit of an organic process.

3. For the numbers, I sprayed them on (before the back wash) using a sticker mask provided in the kit. I added a bit of yellow to white in the airbrush cup to give a more aged appearance. I actually cocked this up badly as the mask leaked at the edges horribly, so I had to go back and hand paint them, which surprisingly ended up looking better and more vintage anyway.
4. to give depth on body panels before weathering in this case, I airbrushed a grey primer, then a light orange red, then the final brick red colour. That allowed me to burnish some areas using 400 paper as a final step after the black wash, providing some highlights by exposing the undercoat where paint might have been lightened by the sun, or abraded away from use. I’m still working on this.
I was doing a bit of experimenting with this model, thinking I might want to tackle something more substantial in plastic like an old battleship or something similar. 

Edited by Tim Moore

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain your techniques, Tim, it's fascinating and I love the realism it imparts to the model. It really brings it to life!

1 hour ago, Tim Moore said:

I was doing a bit of experimenting with this model, thinking I might want to tackle something more substantial in plastic like an old battleship or something similar. 

A Pocher model would be more "substantial" and, with your skills, it would be spectacular!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Beautiful work.  However, being a Fiat, it needs a drip pan under it.  I've never seen a Fiat that didn't leak oil. :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It looks so real   - Fantastic work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hey thanks Yves, Bob, OC, Druxey, Mark, Mike and Lou, and all the likes I appreciate the comments, very much. Still doing a bit of finishing then will post one final calendar pic. Ok Yves challenge accepted I will do another in due course, like the look of that Mefistofele and Bugatti, maybe also look around to see if any other 1:12s from other manufacturers look interesting. 
I’m from the polymath sect when it comes to modeling I now realize; the car world was a really nice break I want to get back to, but think I need to find another ship for my next major victim. A good old dreadnaught type vessel maybe if there’s something substantial available?

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Inspiring, very inspiring.... A work of art...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Ok Yves challenge accepted I will do another in due course, like the look of that Mefistofele and Bugatti, maybe also look around to see if any other 1:12s from other manufacturers look interesting. 

From what I recall, the Mefistofele has a complete and working engine with moving pistons and a real crankshaft. I saw a model finished once, in a European show and was amazed by what these artists (like you...) can do. These PROTAR kits are almost like assembling the real car, from a mechanical perspective.

Yves

The Mephistopheles is a sweet looking kit.  Can do it up as the black version.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Your car looks terrific. I have never done car models, but your built it is making me thinking. I am sure that if you take a B/W picture of it, you can disguise your model for the real thing.

Congrats,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Thanks Bill, Egilman & Dan!
Yves, Mike: The Mefistofele engine looks incredible, just looked it up. Kind of an interesting story too. I showed the admiral pics of it and the Bugatti; she decreed the big M as interesting, but fundamentally an ugly car and voted enthusiastically for the Bugatti so I’ll have to take that into consideration.

Heres a shot of what the 806 kit looks like, out of the box more or less as opposed to my grubby edition, so you can see the range of end products you can produce with this kit. Here is mine rendered in b&w as per Dan’s comment.

Cheers all.

Tim

90EBE5D1-8949-4255-ACEC-3E2ECA90C545.jpeg

6A482E75-9828-40A3-9DBD-97383439DB79.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Spelling

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Heres a shot of what the 806 kit is supposed to look like, out of the box more or less as opposed to my grubby edition, here rendered in b&w as per Dan’s comment.

It looks fantastic, it really looks like a period picture.

👏

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

On 1/29/2022 at 10:06 AM, Tim Moore said:

Heres a shot of what the 806 kit looks like, out of the box more or less as opposed to my grubby edition,

Just a matter of a few hours. Pre race vs post race! I also like your rendition better.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Dan, Druxy and Lou - yes I’m pleased with how this turned out - going back to shipbuilding next but plan on doing another car after that. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

To conclude this beautiful thread about some Fiat legendary cars: 

Yves

Fabulous! I’m gonna have to do this at some point. Definitely Mark is quite right - seems to be burning a little oil. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

5 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

To conclude this beautiful thread about some Fiat legendary cars: 

These legendary cars certainly didn't idle or run quietly...rumbling, choking and and belching fire!

I could smell the Mefistofele burning oil just watching the video! I wonder if this is just the way these engines ran even when they were new or if the car in the video was in serious need of a ring job?

Thanks for posting these videos, Yves...great fun to watch! 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 3 weeks later...

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 year later...

don't feel bad Craig.........I feel even worse for not commenting before now,  and I followed the build! :blush:  the paint is so good,  one would never know this was a plastic kit!  .....and I agree with everyone else.........your rendition is better ;)   great job on the model........hope to see another one!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch