Ghost Ship Jenny by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - 1/400 - BOTTLE

The Ghost Ship Jenny is complete!  Before I get to the final update, I want to give sincere thanks to everyone that followed along on this short but entertaining journey:  @Keith Black, @Knocklouder, @Ian_Grant, @gsdpic, @gjdale, @Scottish Guy, @FriedClams, @Canute, @Javelin, @mtaylor, @GrandpaPhil, @Thukydides, @Bryan Woods, @JacquesCousteau, @John Fox III, @hollowneck, @Landlubber Mike, @ccoyle, @Coyote_6, @BLACK VIKING, @CiscoH, @Rik Thistle, @Ryland Craze, @Paul Le Wol, @Mike Y.  I can never thank y'all enough for your support, suggestions, critiques, and humor!

Now the final update.  To finish up the Jenny, I wanted to mount the bottle on something that would look a bit spooky, maybe a little eerie - something that would add to the mystique of a ghost ship.  A while back, I found this root ball from a fallen cedar tree that looked cool (actually a juniper tree, but we call them cedars in Austin).  I kept it knowing that I’d eventually find a use for it.  

The bottle and the root ball turned out to be a perfect match.  The root ball rests stable and level on its side, and the bottle fits right in between the “tines” of the roots.   The cedar wood is very hard, weather resistant, and lasts forever.  They are commonly used for barbed wire fence posts around here.  However, they will still flake off strands of thin bark so I decided to seal the surface, trying to keep as much of the natural color as possible.  I ended up doing a 50/50 mix of Minwax semi-gloss poly and thinner.  The mix kept the poly from darkening the wood too much and allowing the natural variations to show through.

Here’s the completed project.

Gallery1.jpg

Gallery2.jpg

Gallery3.jpg

Gallery4.jpg

Gallery5.jpg

Gallery6.jpg

Gallery7.jpg

• The title was changed to Ghost Ship Jenny by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - 1/400 - BOTTLE

Brilliant, Glen.

I also like your branding of "Star M" on the spooky cedar branch. You Texans sure know how to identify your stuff!

🤙

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Posted (edited)

Thank you Glen for letting me be part of it and allow me to follow your build. It looks amazing and I really love the stand. The root piece looks amazing and that the bottle fits in so neat is just great. It was really a pleasure to follow the build and having all this conversations, even the few "heated" ones (I´m joking, I loved every chat in here pretty much).

Thank you guys for allowing me as well being part of your conversations.

Micha

Edited by Scottish Guy

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Another creative SIB build and display Glen!!  Amazing job!  Love the details, especially that little penguin! :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Wow, the cedar root really takes this project up a notch, especially with the branding that Ron pointed out.  Wonderful result, I am sure this will make a treasured gift.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

What a drop dead gorgeous presentation, Glen. The darkness of the root highlights the white of ice and snow and the brand adds to this pest de resistance. 

Up till now I thought the kraken was the pick of the litter but now, move over Kraken, there's a new SIB monster in town. 

Incredible work, Glen!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Fantastic job, the stand is a wonderful touch as well!

Glen, congratulations on completing your Ghost Ship Jenny. Such a wonderful subject and presentation! 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Well done. The root ball really sets off the frozen Jenny. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Fantastic job my friend, you come up with the best ideas, and it's amazing to watch you put it all together. thank you so much for the adventure . Good luck on your next journey, what ever that may be.   :cheers:  

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

That is incredible!  Nicest gift one could imagine!  Great work and artistry sir!

Congratulations on another outstanding SIB Glen. The thought you put into your presentation/stands takes your builds to another level altogether. I’m sure the recipient of this one will be absolutely delighted.

Just an amazing display, Glen.   Literally took my breath away.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There I go and not pay close attention to the forum and you sneak another wonderful build under my nose - how dare you! ;)  I don't know how I missed the log. At least it gave me some interesting reading when I found it today (only a month late but I'll put that down to encroaching 'old fella' symptoms). Great to see that you were able to satisfy all those 'stalkers and their penguins' in this build log :) .

Again you impress with your dioramas providing a very interesting setting and nicely presented SIB.  You should create a 'coffee table' style book of your work mate, it will hold up to any scrutiny.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Another fantastic model, Glen!  Congratulations.  Ditto all the above comments.  A very difficult subject to model but it came out great.  

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 5/3/2024 at 11:15 AM, hollowneck said:

Brilliant, Glen.

I also like your branding of "Star M" on the spooky cedar branch. You Texans sure know how to identify your stuff!

Mahalo, Ron!!  Yes, some folks call it a Texas Tattoo! 
I appreciate you following along.  🤙!!! 

On 5/3/2024 at 11:20 AM, Scottish Guy said:

Thank you guys for allowing me as well being part of your conversations.

Thanks for following along, Micha!  Your comments were greatly appreciated and I sincerely hope that you take part in all my future builds!

On 5/3/2024 at 11:25 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Love the details, especially that little penguin!

Thanks, Mike!  And yes, I finally caved to the pressure and found a way to get a penguin in the bottle.  No doubt they will now want a polar bear or Canadian rat or something in the next one! 😁

On 5/3/2024 at 11:30 AM, gsdpic said:

Wow, the cedar root really takes this project up a notch, especially with the branding that Ron pointed out.  Wonderful result, I am sure this will make a treasured gift.

Thanks, Gary.  As a fellow Austin guy, I'm sure you are way too familiar with those cedars trees!  Hope you don't suffer from the allergies like so many around here do. 

On 5/3/2024 at 11:46 AM, Keith Black said:

The darkness of the root highlights the white of ice and snow

Thanks, Keith.  I was worried about how much the poly darkened the wood, but you make a really good point about the contrast with the white ice and snow.     

23 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Incredible work, Glen!

Thanks you, Phil!  Always appreciate you following along.

23 hours ago, Paul Le Wol said:

Glen, congratulations on completing your Ghost Ship Jenny.

Thank you, Paul!  And many thanks for following along.

23 hours ago, Canute said:

Well done. The root ball really sets off the frozen Jenny. 👍

Thanks, Ken!  I appreciate you being part of this project.

23 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

Good luck on your next journey, what ever that may be. 

Thanks, Bob!  Not sure about the next one yet but hopefully something will come to mind soon.  In the meantime, I'll enjoy checking out you and Captain Marvin on your dual builds!  :cheers:

20 hours ago, Coyote_6 said:

Nicest gift one could imagine!  Great work and artistry sir!

Thank you so much, Steve!  I'm really anxious to see my niece's reaction to it (she knows nothing about it yet).

19 hours ago, gjdale said:

I’m sure the recipient of this one will be absolutely delighted.

Thanks, Grant!  Same comment as above to Steve!!

19 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Literally took my breath away.   

19 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Your Jenny is stunning - in the best sort of way!

Thank you so much, Mark and Johnny!  I'm always grateful to hove y'all following along on these projects.

15 hours ago, BANYAN said:

There I go and not pay close attention to the forum and you sneak another wonderful build under my nose - how dare you! ;)  I don't know how I missed the log. At least it gave me some interesting reading when I found it today (only a month late but I'll put that down to encroaching 'old fella' symptoms). Great to see that you were able to satisfy all those 'stalkers and their penguins' in this build log :) .

Hey Pat!  So glad you found this but I certainly did miss your excellent commentary and suggestions along the way.  I've grown accustomed to them on my build logs!  However, as I mentioned to Landlubber Mike above, I don't think the "stalkers" (LOL!) are going to be satisfied with that one tiny penguin!

1 hour ago, FriedClams said:

A very difficult subject to model but it came out great.  

Thank you so much, Gary!  And thank for following along!

44 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

Thanks for following along, Micha!  Your comments were greatly appreciated and I sincerely hope that you take part in all my future builds!

I surely will do Glen. It was a pleasure to look at and follow :D

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a