WaltB   

Thanks Mark. It's a shame as it appears this was an excellent source of fine modeling wood. Anyone know of one as good?

Walt

mtaylor likes this

dougb   

Asked for some samples of wood (Pear and Cherry) from the thewoodrack in the UK. Decent sized samples arrived quickly so I bit the bullet and ordered some Cherry. I preferred the colour althought it was slightly harder to work than the Pear.

Anyway pleasant enough transaction and the wood arrived promptly (ordered Friday PM, arrived Tuesday AM) and the purchased wood matched the sample. 

Here is a picture

post-16389-0-76700400-1463487721_thumb.jpg

Genarally happy (apart from the cost) but I'll let you make your own mind up about the quality because it's the first time I have used non kit wood.

mtaylor, Rustyj, zoly99sask and 4 others like this

Hello everybody

Did anybody orderd wood from this website an how much did they charge for shipping ,and also it was regular mailing or UPS, DHL or similar?

And if was any custom fee on the shipment into Canada or US,also any length/size restriction?

http://www.massiv-holz-werkstatt.de/

Thanks ,Zoltan

Edited by zoly99sask
mtaylor and Canute like this

For members who live this side of the Atlantic ;) found this supplier on one of the German forums. 

www.modellbau-holzleisten.de

There are several suppliers on the first google page,the one you want is Massiveholzwerkstätten Horschig.

He has a very good selection, eg 5mm x 100mm x 1000mm Birnbaum (pearwood) & Nussbaum (walnut)

plus others at 7 Euros per plank. Well worth a look IMO.

Dave :dancetl6:

Hello David ,did you order from this site  and if so ,how much was the shipping and any custom fees??

Thanks ,Zoltan

Canute and mtaylor like this

davyboy   

Hello Zoltan,

Sorry, but I have not ordered from this supplier yet as I already have a good stock of Pearwood and some European boxwood. But I'll  likely order from there in the future. I only posted the info for the benefit of any members who might have been interested.

Regards,

Canute, mtaylor, zoly99sask and 1 other like this

Hello Zoltan,

Sorry, but I have not ordered from this supplier yet as I already have a good stock of Pearwood and some European boxwood. But I'll  likely order from there in the future. I only posted the info for the benefit of any members who might have been interested.

Regards,

Thanks Dave!!

mtaylor, davyboy and Canute like this

vaddoc   

Hi Zoltan

I just received a bunch of Maple from them.

http://www.massiv-holz-werkstatt.de/

The quality was very good, price was the most competitive I found (better than 30% of some quotes)

Delivery took a while.

This was to the UK.

Nick

How did you order Nick, through email alone or did you have to call as well?

zoly99sask and Canute like this

I would highly recommend people giving Matt at Inlay Banding a look if you are looking for ebony, holly, or other woods:

http://inlaybanding.com

Matt was really great to work with, and did a custom order for me to exact specifications.  He was even able to get ebony sheets down to as little as 0.7mm.  Matt most does work for inlays and veneers, but I think he would make a great resource for ebony and other exotics (along with ebony, he does holly, maple, boxwood, satinwood, maple and others).  Now that Jeff is retired, I would highly recommend Matt is you are looking for ebony or other woods.

Canute, mtaylor, mwb and 1 other like this

vaddoc   

Ok, I would like to share my experience buying wood from Massiveholz on line shop which is based in Germany.

All orders need to be made via email and I must say there is a massive variety available. All wood I received so far has been great quality.

I asked initially for some wood samples, 10 strips of various woods 2 x 10 x 1000 mm. Then I placed a large order, however I received more wood in most dimensions (it seems that round everything to multiples of 10!) and some other dimensions were less or missing. I emailed Frank and I received the missing wood but also some more strips I needed and asked to be added on, free of charge.

Packaging was very good and I received all orders within a few days. I would think prices are competitive .

Overall this is an excellent place to buy your wood if you are this side of the pond.

Canute, mtaylor and zoly99sask like this

sfotinos   

I'm looking for rough pear wood 8/4 in the US.  Don't seem to be having any luck what so ever.

Anyone one have suggestions that are not in this post?

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

mtaylor, Canute and zoly99sask like this

Jaager   

For Pear: 

I found some short split pieces at a local supplier of wood to those who smoke meat.

Another possible source -  local tree removal companies.

Any species of Pear works well,  what is sold as Swiss Pear is actually Pyrus communis

that has been steamed to produce a uniform pink color.  It is  European Common Pear 

and is often used as root stock for fruit bearing varieties.  What you will likely find here

is Bradford or a similar ornamental or a fruit bearing variety.

Canute and mtaylor like this

Chuck   

I mostly see Swiss pear and pear sold as slabs.  It isnt impossible to get 8/4 or even 12/4 stock but its not easy.

Try calling Gilmer.  They have great stuff and if you dont see it on their site they probably still have more on the premises. 

https://www.gilmerwood.com/categories/38-boards-and-blanks/products?utf8=✓&filter=Pearwood&category=

Chuck

Canute and Mike Y like this

mtaylor   

Chuck is right...  My bad.  I would have hoped Dave's billets would be good.  

Canute likes this

davec   

I'm still working off a pear slab that I got from righteous lumber (http://www.righteouswoods.com/) about 10 years ago.  They are still in business.  I bought 4/4, but they had 8/4 and thicker (can remember if it was 10/4 or 12/4)  as well.  When I purchased from them, I lived in MA and picked out my piece and drove home with it.  I think they ship.

I have also been very impressed with Gilmer wood.  I just bought a couple of pieces of boxwood from them.  If you order from them, call them and tell them what you are looking for.  I had planned to buy two pieces that looked good in the pictures on their website.  When I spoke with them and explained I was building model ships, they said the pieces I was interested in weren't good enough, and if I was OK waiting, they would contact me when they had better.  They emailed me about 8 weeks later.  What I ended up getting was really beautiful - great color, tight grained, very uniform.  I was really impressed with the service.

Dave

Ryland Craze, mtaylor and Canute like this