IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

That looks fabulous Greg; I wonder if they could have got any more guns on her!!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The final part, the black deck. It looks brand new and the rest of the ship is filthy. So, using some Tamiya makeup in the guise of Rust, soot and snow, I have commenced using the "snow" as salt near the areas I believe the salt would have accumulated at sea and "rust" for scuffmarks where the deck hatches and equipment are.  

Bugger me, it works, it does not have to be extreme just enough to break up the uniform black and it brings out the planks. 

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

Greg

AND BANG, finished.

Thanks for the likes and support, to the followers who suffered the 8 month build. 20K views on a plastic model is flattering to say the least.

The next build will not be so complex, there is so much detail it just gets lost. You can see from my previous builds, it is a magnitude more involved, but I have learnt to use an airbrush (thanks Banyan) and that Dutch people have a very similar sense of humor to Aussies (Cog).

Off to the digital graveyard.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Greg

Thanks folks, I have a new kit! 

But, 

I'm going to practice some new techniques on a spare hull first....

its a pretty basic kit which needs a bit of a makeover and there is very little reference material to....

all the aftermarket is amost bought

watch this space

Greg

Congratulations Greg on finishing another magnificent and inspiring build.

Look forward to seeing what you do next.

Cheers

Slog 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

2 hours ago, RGL said:

AND BANG, finished.

Thanks for the likes and support, to the followers who suffered the 8 month build. 20K views on a plastic model is flattering to say the least.

The next build will not be so complex, there is so much detail it just gets lost. You can see from my previous builds, it is a magnitude more involved, but I have learnt to use an airbrush (thanks Banyan) and that Dutch people have a very similar sense of humor to Aussies (Cog).

Off to the digital graveyard.

Hi Greg,

excellent work and super details  :)..... also nice color giving...

Though it has something threatening for me, the close up shots remind (gunslinging midships section) me somehow of a fighting unit out of "Star Wars thrillogie"...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Greg, very well done, mate. Love the detail work. I'll try to sit quietly waiting your next build.:cheers:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Greg,

When it comes to realistic super-detailing you are without equal. Stunning work.  Your always entertaining comments are a real plus.

Thanks for taking the time to share all this.

Tim

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Great job well done Greg.

Loads of great detail. Can't pick any one area that stands out. If I had to it would be the rigging, the planes, the boats and especially the great weathering job.

Paul

PS

Forgot to add to the standouts all the photo tech you have patently added to add to the realism of the finished kit.

Still have to do a double take each time i look back through this unbelievable build to believe that a plastic kit could look so good. Looking forward to whichever kit you decide on next and will follow avidly.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Yeah right, a similar kind a humor ... you shouldn't look up from downunder mate. Let me look up to that marvelous result. I like that weathered deck. The black was indeed a bit to black, nearly like freshly painted, and untrodden. If you say eight months, it sure as h*ll didn't feel that way. I have enjoyed your posts trememdously, and really did look forward to the next update. You got my interest rekindled with the build of the Dreadnought, and I was pleasantly surprised you started the Yamato as I had the Musashi waiting on ... yupz PE. I found a new respect for plastic modelling with the after market update sets. It really is a challenge.

Very well done on the weathering too, I'll skip that step in my build! I'll advance one step at the time ...

She really looks the magnificent ship she was in all her splendour, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

congratz Greg!     such a super looking build :)    very well done.........flight deck ....the guns......weathered to perfection ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow.  I've loved watching all of your builds, but what really set this one apart for me was the artistry of value modulation and weathering that makes the close-up views reminiscent of the atmosphere of some of the best anime renderings:

Ghost-in-shell BG1.jpg

Yamoto-RGL-close.jpg

This is a model and effort you should rightly be proud of Greg; you have created a mini-masterpiece!  Considering you learned air-brushing and weathering along the way, you have surpassed many an experienced exponent.

A pleasure to have seen this build evolve through your log.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Wonderful!!

It's been great watching this come together. 

All the best,

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Well done she looks brilliant

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

SUPERB Work Greg  so so real life.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1