IJN Amatsukaze by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:200 scale - CARD and Brass - WW2 Japanese Destroyer -

No he's not ;):D.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Very nice work Danny! She looks fantastic!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

the turrets look super Danny........great progress ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks guys :) ,

I've been really crook the last week or so - the worst case of Flu I've ever had the misfortune of having :(. Fortunately the symptoms are on the way out, and I can continue building. Only the runny eyes are a bit of a handicap, but hopefully they'll clear up shortly :).

I've managed to finish the three Gun Turrets, despite my woes. The instructions were rather vague about how the turret Pivots went together, and I'm not sure if they are meant to actually pivot or not, but I worked out a way of doing so. Here's the diagram - I've fitted part 100b BETWEEN 100d and 100e :

Turret Pivots (2).JPG

And here are the parts cut out for one pivot. I've already glued on the edging bands to the two larger discs :

Turret Pivots (1).JPG

The main "working" parts of the pivot. The disc 100b needed a lot of dry-fitting before establishing how far "up" the axle 100a it needed to go to get the right clearances :

Turret Pivots (3).JPG

Turret Pivots (4).JPG

Top and bottom views of the assembly fitted together. Discs 100d and 100e are glued together. Care had to be taken not to get any glue on 100b/100a :

Turret Pivots (5).JPG

Turret Pivots (6).JPG

The pivot glued to the base of the turret, along with four gussets. Not shown in the pics is a small stub of 1.0mm brass wire in the centre of the pivot. This will locate into a corresponding hole in the deck to make later fitting much easier and more accurate :

Turret Pivots (8).JPG

Turret Pivots (7).JPG

The last of the wire work on the turrets is what I assume to be a small antenna :

Turret Antenna.JPG

And finally I've fitted the gun barrels. Note the working barrel elevators :

Barrels (1).JPG

Barrels (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Very impressive wire work on those turrets, Dan. Glued joints or what for that "antenna"? Sort of looks soldered.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 minute ago, Canute said:

Glued joints or what for that "antenna"? Sort of looks soldered.

Thank you both :). I used CA glue - my soldering torch has decided to stop working :(.

Cheers, Danny

Nice Danny ... Real NICE!!!!!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather Danny - there's been some really nasty flu bugs going around this year. Glad to hear you're on the mend though. And the build is looking outstanding!

The turrets look great Danny, well done.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Always known you were the sensitive kind ;) As long as you don't drip on the card it doesn't matter to much ...

Love those turrets,  very detailed with the PE parts/brass wire.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

guess it doesn't matter what the definition of 'DNA' gets on the parts.......we all seem to leave our 'Dinty Moore' somewhere or another ;):D   glad to hear it wasn't anything serious Danny.   do the barrels move up and down?   always hated it with plastic modeling.....darn things usually ended up loose.   I'm sure paper would tend to offer some sort of resistance.   they look really good....wonderful job on them!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks all for the kind comments :).

On 25/08/2017 at 1:03 AM, popeye the sailor said:

do the barrels move up and down?

Yes indeed popeye, they will also swivel. Both "directions" seem to work very well indeed :).

Moving along to one of the last major sub-assemblies - the Torpedo Tubes. These are made in a similar fashion to the gun turrets, except for the tubes themselves. The pics should be fairly self-explanatory. I used my new large hole punch to make the 3.4mm holes for the tubes in the turrets :

Torpedo Tubes (6).JPG

Torpedo Tubes (5).JPG

Torpedo Tubes (4).JPG

Torpedo Tubes (3).JPG

I tried two "methods" of doing the railings, one using 0.2mm hard brass rod for the rails, the other using the same size in soft wire. The soft wire was far easier, and there was very little difference in the outcome :

Torpedo Tubes (2).JPG

Torpedo Tubes (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Nice work Danny, she is coming together very nicely.

Do you finish these card models off with a coat of lacquer? I ask as paper/card does not have the longevity of wood and wonder how long they will last without some preservation.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

Do you finish these card models off with a coat of lacquer?

Thanks Pat. Yes, two or three coats of Testor's Dullcote usually does the trick as a finish. I also give the card two coats of Mohawk Nitrocellulose Lacquer before I start cutting anything.

Cheers, Danny

Apart from painting the rails the Torpedoes and their Turrets are finished.

The torpedoes are rolled as a solid tube so the ends can be rounded. To make it easier to sand the round end I used a French Curve to cut the warhead end :

Torpedos (1).JPG

Torpedos (2).JPG

Torpedos (3).JPG

Torpedos (4).JPG

The tail ends are a cone. I bought a Forming Tool from RP Toolz which did the job very well :

Torpedos (6).JPG

Torpedos (7).JPG

I dipped the warhead ends in CA to stiffen the paper, and then filled and sanded them to shape :

Torpedos (9).JPG

Although they can't be seen I fitted the fins to the torpedoes. This made them easier to slide into the tubes :

Torpedos (8).JPG

The Air Pipes are made from 0.5mm tubing and 0.3mm wire :

Torpedo Tubes (9).JPG

The finished Turrets ready for final painting. The Swivel Mounts were made in similar fashion to those on the Gun Turrets :

Torpedo Tubes (8).JPG

Torpedo Tubes (7).JPG

Cheers, Danny

nicely done!   they will look super with the finish work done on them ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks John, Clare and Popeye.

The Torpedo Turrets are painted and finished :

Torpedo Tubes.JPG

There are two Ships Boats. These proved a little difficult to make, and I'm not 100% happy with them, but they'll have to do. Apart from one picture of a finished boat there were no instructions at all.

I started by gluing the bow together, then adding the forward platform :

Boats (1).JPG

Next I glued the keel together, and also added the transom :

Boats (2).JPG

The flooring pushed the skins out to the correct shape :

Boats (3).JPG

Then I glued the last of the cuts in the skins together, glued in the aft platform and thwarts, and finished by attaching the keel/rudder unit and the storage chocks :

Boats (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thanks for the kind words Carl, Bob and Jan :).

The two Motor Launches were a little easier to make, mostly because they have "steel" hulls instead of "clinker" ones and could be touched-up. The design was also a bit easier to work with. Here's a series of pics that follow the construction :

Motor Launches.JPG

Motor Launches (7).JPG

Motor Launches (6).JPG

Motor Launches (5).JPG

Motor Launches (4).JPG

Motor Launches (3).JPG

Motor Launches (2).JPG

The launches completed :

Motor Launches (1).JPG

I've also made the Depth Charge Launcher. This had a few rather small pieces, the largest tubes (the depth charges) are only 1.6mm diameter :) :

Depth Charge Launcher.JPG

Cheers, Danny

More progress. I've made and fitted the Anchors. These required quite a bit of delicate cutting :

Anchors.JPG

Anchors (2).JPG

The Depth Charge Rack was fairly straight-forward apart from the two small cranes :

Depth Charge Rack.JPG

The Searchlight took me a full day to make, mostly due to the Bracket - gluing it together could only be done one section at a time. The first pic is of the parts needed for it :

Searchlights (5).JPG

Searchlights (4).JPG

Searchlights (3).JPG

Searchlights (2).JPG

Searchlights (1).JPG

I also fitted a ladder, the RDF antenna and three railings around the searchlight :

Aft Railings.JPG

RDF Loop.JPG

The AA Guns and the forward Torpedo Tubes were fitted next :

AA Guns Fitted (2).JPG

AA Guns Fitted (1).JPG

Last I fitted two inclined Ladders and the railing to the aft end of the foredeck. It would have been a lot easier if I had painted the ladders before fitting them :

Ladders (2).JPG

Ladders (1).JPG

And here's a Progress pic of where I'm up to. The funnel assembly has been permanently fitted :

Progresss Sep 4.JPG

Cheers, Danny