HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

I've noticed a lot of art prints at exhibitions now have clear acrylic coatings "painted" on, so the piece looks like it was painted rather than printed.  Would that add another layer of authenticity to the friezes, if the clear acrylic was painted over the shapes with a very small, fine brush?

Alan

Yes I agree, I dont think that would work or even look good.  I just spray it with some fixative and it looks good to me.  If you wanted to, you could always use it as a paint by numbers sort of thing and just paint on top of the printed frieze.  But I think the printout looks better than anything I have seen short of just painting it from scratch.

I did finish the roof today...

The roof is laser cut and 1/4" thick.  It has a laser etched reference line to show you where to bevel it to the "sloped" shape needed.

qgallroof.jpg

Then I used some laser cut shingles and added them to the roof.   Three rows as is typical.  After each row starting with the bottom, I sanded the shingles very thin....paper thin almost.  The tops were sanded flush with the roof to accept the next row.  Then I repeated it....until completed.  There are marks on each shingle to help you position the second and third rows.

qgallroof1.jpg

Then the roof and tiles was painted black.  But the tiles are more of a dark slate gray.  So I weathered them a bit so it wasnt a stark black.  Then I added a thin molding on top as you can see.  This is also laser cut but it also needs to be sanded thinner.  1/32" is too thick.  I sanded it to about 1/64" thick.

qgallroof2.jpg

qgallroof3.jpg

At this stage I still havent glued the shingled roof in position.  So resist the urge.  Before finishing up this quarter gallery I want to now start on the one on the port side.  Once that is completed up to this stage I will finish the both of them.  The fancy rail along the roof still needs to be added.  But that is better done after the friezes are glued to the sides of the hull.  So I have to finish those up first.  And finally some inspiration and reference which you can compare to my interpretation.  Although I used the draft to correct any differences with the contemporary model.

qgfriezes.jpg

qgallroof5.jpg

Chuck

On 11/29/2019 at 6:59 PM, Jim Rogers said:

You gonna lose the period?

On 11/29/2019 at 7:03 PM, Chuck said:

Why would i do that?  They used them.  

I too thought the period looked a little odd. However I trust Chuck's knowledge. Then yesterday I was looking at some of the available RMG drawings and saw this:

image.png.da9b3678228a78c6433e3f9215de9c99.png

So I still think it looks weird but it's correct.

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Chuck, your Quartergallery is very impressive. As the gunports are painted red, and the painted freezes are added as well, my question is: will the captains cabin from inside be painted in any kind of color, white for example? That would mean, that the inside of the quarter gallery could be painted white, or light grey, or even red as well. My other Question is: are you going to install toilets in both quarter-galleries? That would be a bit funny for just one person. But on the other Hand, it might make sense, regarding luv and lee. 

Matthias

You could paint the interior but i rather like just leaving it natural wood.  The interior on the contemporary model is just left natural although the paneled walls that sep the cabins are painted off white.

Yes i added facilities in both galleries.

The reason why I havent just completed the quarter gallery is simple.  I want to make a nice clean edge between the quarter gallery roof, rail and the painted frieze.  This means the frieze along the hull needs to go on first.  I am still testing and tweaking that.  But first...the 3/32" wide fancy molding must be scraped and glued on the hull.  This will be our guide for the friezes.  I am just talking about the middle molding.  Once glued in position, you will be able to sit the frieze on top of it as shown.  The thinner frieze can be butt against it along the bottom as well.

Then to finish it off the you will be able to use the friezes as a guide to place the remaining molding in position.  This is the next step for me.  Once this is completed I will then get back to finishing the fancy rail on the roof of the quarter gallery.

Once this is done on both sides of the hull, I will then start finishing the stern transom with all of the carvings and columns.  When that is all done it will complete chapter three.  But there is a lot of work involved with all this stuff so it will take several weeks at least.  I have stop work this weekend though because I am leaving for New Orleans yet again!!!  Second attempt at some fun and relaxation.  Here is a look at the testing so far!!!  The friezes are not glued on yet as I am still tweaking them.  They are just resting on the molding.

hullfrieze2.jpg

hullfrieze3.jpg

hullfrieze4.jpg

Just one note as while working on the friezes I have several photos of Minerva out for inspiration.  Its one of the reason I have decided to go with a lighter toned frieze.  The Cedar is light and anything darker would be too much.   But I wanted to point out a few things.  

Note the unpainted roof shingles of the quarter galleries....

Note the painted interior of the qgalleries...I dont like that its a weird color.  

But I will be making a second roof as a test with the top painted the same blue as the frieze while leaving the shingles natural.    There are plenty of choices out there and looking at the way contemporary builders did this is great for inspiration.  The Minerva model in the Naval Academy is  much more refined and built with more expertise than the Winnie contemporary model.  The Winnie model is a bit crude in its details by comparison.  So examining both makes for good study!!  

Also note how you can see that the contemporary builder painted his frieze on paper and glued it on the model.  There is a bit of lifting in one of the images I posted.

gunportmolding.jpgMinerva model # 55 036.jpgModel No. 55 QDeck Aft Portion of  QGal-1.jpg

I like your version of the friezes and quarter galleries better than the model of the Minerva.  Your design work and craftsmanship constantly amazes me.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Here's another view of that area. Grant Walker gave me a CD of hi-res photos of the model. Note the crazy lime green color of the interior. I also note the molding ends are beautifully shaped to reflect the profile. I wonder if they were left short intentionally or an upper carving might have been lost?

I've seen contemporary models with the blue frieze, slate gray shingles, white fluted columns and red windows (matching the port linings). It's a striking combination! So many choices...213754661_Minervamodel55058.thumb.jpg.302f748beb775d97b1f7880eba83ea7c.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Minerva is one of my favorite models.  It always serves to inspire me.  Here is my version (a little hesitant to place my wok against such a masterful contemporary model) of the shingled roof left natural.  I kind of prefer the natural look.  But I will sleep on it a bit.  What do you guys think.  I think the dark roof is too "in your face".  But I could be wrong.  Note how thin the shingles are sanded after each row is completed.  These are boxwood shingles.

natural roof.jpg

natural roof1.jpg

I like the natural look.  Might the shingles be a use for laser board?  Being thinner to start the might not need sanding.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

But then they would need to be painted.  Most folks find that hard to do neatly and with a decent color.   Everybody can sand!!!!!   You cant beat the look of natural wood vs. painting whenever possible in my opinion.  I would love to hear some more opinions on this...:blink:

Chuck

I like the natural look and the subdued colors.  The darker colors provide too much contrast with the lighter wood of the hull, and draw attention away from the model as a whole.

On the contemporary models with darker wood tones, it is not as much of a distraction..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I really like how Minerva is finished, I’ve seen the model up close many times and it’s very attractive. Dubz, I like the idea of painting the blue and then printing a decal set and maybe finish over the whole thing with a satin polyurethane to blend it all together.

JJ

Edited by scrubbyj427
Misspelling

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

I prefer the dark roof. This is a peace of architecture.  The focus is on the columns and  the moldings and windows. The upper and lower framing ( roof and frieze) have to be darker in order to make a contrast.  Otherwise it might look a bit out of balance in my opinion.

Actually, you could argue that the dark version is too dark, and the unpainted too light.

in both contemporeneous models, there is almost no contrast between the painted friese and the shingled roof: there is a colour difference,but not too much difference in heaviness of the colour. You could try a colour that matches the original model slightly more: a bluish grey slate, in stead of the rather stark black.

And, although I will never try a modl like this myself, it is a joy to see how it should be done. I'm a daily visiting, non-posting admirer :)

Jan

Having seen your dark option and the natural one, my preference would be the natural shingles. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hoping to try everything before deciding.  Here is the dark roof again but I made it much lighter.  I also painted the top blue to match the frieze which is like the minerva model.   Now I cant make up my mind.  I like them both.  I will study these photos and make a decision with your help. Always a lot of fun right....I do appreciate the help and your thoughts on this.  

natural roof.jpg

natural roof2.jpg

natural roof1.jpg

natural roof3.jpg

Natural on port side and painted on starboard, that will take care of this puzzle.😝 

Kidding aside I lean towards painted option. Seems Minerva's maker was not  pursuing  the authentic

colors and look  (use of Ivory).  This is purely matter of each authors vision and taste.

Personally, I like the Minerva look of the natural shingles. The painted version clashes a bit with the background frieze color in my opinion while the natural shingles complement the lower finishing piece. But you know what they say about opinions...

Have a great time in New Orleans. You may more closely resemble that Chuck figurine after a few days of Louisiana cuisine!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752