IJN Hatsuzakura by Landlubber Mike - FINISHED - Pit Road - 1/700 - PLASTIC - with FiveStar PE

17 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Maybe I should tell her I need to find myself a dark-haired girlfriend so I can have a free and endless supply of rigging line?  🤔

Living dangerously I see. What is your favorite flower so I can sent it to your funeral? My wife has red hair so that excuse wouldn't work for me anyway.:( 

I have some 80 micron corona wire I have used several times. It is tungsten and pretty tough. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I have some 80 micron corona wire I have used several times. It is tungsten and pretty tough. 

That's some fairly small stuff as well, Gold plated tungsten 0.00314961 in diameter, smaller than an average human hair also.....

It's used for drawing the toner off cartridges and drums in laser printers...... You never know where your going to source your materials and sometimes it can be surprising....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'm bald  - so thats no good,       Superb finish   everything really pops out at you  on the screen.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I have used it as electrical wiring a couple of times as well. Just glue it to the cabin wall or hull, mast, or whatever, attach one end to an LED and the other to power. Paint over the wires and no one can see them unless you point them out.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

the rigging looked sweet Mike........it was nice to get an idea on the gauge of this wire :)   I'm using electrical cord wire for the rigging on the Arizona.  it can be a bit unforgiving.......having to work kinks out when they occur.  sag isn't a problem...once fashioned,  it keeps it very well.  I've bought a few types of thin beading wire in the past,  that I thought would work......but in application,  I found they they would work better on fishing vessels,  and not on what I was using it for.  I've heard of using human hair.......but I don't think it would last too long

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've picked up some beading wire too.  It works ok in certain applications, but in others I've been less impressed.  It seems very soft and prone to getting kinks, at least the type I picked up.

You can also pick up very thin copper and even lead wire.  If I remember correctly, I used something like 0.25mm and 0.45mm copper wire (maybe even thinner) for the pole and supports at the bow (not sure of what exactly that thing is called).  The automotive modelers use a lot of this kind of wire for obvious reasons.  I probably paid 10x from a model vendor what the cost would be if I knew where to source it from non-modeling applications, but it worked nicely.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

but I don't think it would last too long

They find mummies that are thousands of years old and still have hair. I also think that hair was a common item used in the rigging of prisoner ships hundreds of years ago.:D Just don't start showing up with dark human hair rigging on your builds! I know what color Phyllis's hair is! :ph34r: 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

59 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I probably paid 10x from a model vendor what the cost would be if I knew where to source it from non-modeling applications, but it worked nicely.

Amazon is the source, there are several types but you can get almost any gauge you need direct from the manufacturers...

Here is an online chart of wire sizes expressed as AWG gauge sizes but lists it's english and metric equivalent sizes....

Wire Chart (you can order directly from them if you want)

It's not as expensive as you think, certainly a lot cheaper than buying from hobby suppliers....

The above example, 50 AWG, measures just under a thousandth of an inch and just over .025mm......

I last bought some 44 AWG off amazon, a spool just shy of 10K feet.... For under 20 bucks, at just under 2 thousandths of an inch it will do most rigging for the scales of 1/200 and lower.... and almost two miles of it, most of my general rigging needs are handled....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

Amazon is the source, there are several types but you can get almost any gauge you need direct from the manufacturers...

Here is an online chart of wire sizes expressed as AWG gauge sizes but lists it's english and metric equivalent sizes....

Wire Chart (you can order directly from them if you want)

It's not as expensive as you think, certainly a lot cheaper than buying from hobby suppliers....

The above example, 50 AWG, measures just under a thousandth of an inch and just over .025mm......

I last bought some 44 AWG off amazon, a spool just shy of 10K feet.... For under 20 bucks, at just under 2 thousandths of an inch it will do most rigging for the scales of 1/200 and lower.... and almost two miles of it, most of my general rigging needs are handled....

Wow much more bang for your buck than I got.  Thanks for the tip!  You’ve got enough there to rig all of MSW for years.  Maybe I should just send my 1/700 models for you to rig? 🤔

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

A fine job Mike, well done. 👍

B.E.

Thanks BE, really appreciate the kind words.

Mike

5 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow much more bang for your buck than I got.  Thanks for the tip!  You’ve got enough there to rig all of MSW for years.  Maybe I should just send my 1/700 models for you to rig? 🤔

My pleasure brother, it's what we are here for....

What a chart like that and a ordering source does is allow you to grade your rigging on a 1/350th scale warship the same as they do for the wooden 1/48 scale ships.... Like my Gwin, the mast stays are 2 to 2.5 inch cable layed wire rope, about .008 inch in size, while the antennaes are usually 1/2 inch solid aluminum wire... about .0015 inch in scale...... the running rigging is 1/2 to 3/8th inch manila rope so that is where you use the 50 AGW size wire and just under .001 in size makes a 3/8th rope in 1/350th scale... 

Using wire, you can scale your rigging in 1/200th or 350th scales easy peasy.....

I get fine motor winding coil wire cause it is enameled as insulation to prevent shorts, what this allows is you to use inks or very thin paint to color it without issues of the paint sticking.....

Mucilage is used to glue it, yes mucilage, the same envelope paste used in decoupage when we were kids in school.....

Quote:

50 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Maybe I should just send my 1/700 models for you to rig?

Nah, I would just botch it up...... beside I have to actually see it to rig it....

But thanks for the complement my friend...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Ouch, looking at these closeups I realized that the back railings must have gotten pushed in.  Couldn't see it with the naked eye, but the pics certainly showed the issue.  A little toothpick action and she's back to normal 👍

Mike

• 10 months later...

I'm calling this one officially done.  I originally bought this model as a stepping stone to learning how to build plastic ship models with PE sets so that I could do the Hasegawa Shimakaze kit some Justice.  It was a good model to learn the ropes on.  

Now, I'm just about done with the Shimakaze, but wanted to put it in a water diorama setting.  So, I pulled out the Hatsuzakura and did my first waterline diorama setting.  For the base, I used insulation foam board from Home Depot that I cut using a Proxxon thermocutter.  The frame is basswood that I purchased from National Balsa in the widths and thickness I thought would look ok, which I then cut, sanded, and stained (on my next one, I might reduce the height of the base by a 1/4").  The sea was made using the crinkled aluminum foil technique, coupled with using Liquitex heavy gel gloss acrylic medium, and cotton for the white sea spray/wake.  I'm pretty happy with how it all came out, though would probably do the wake a little differently next time.  

Figures were a combination of resin figures from FiveStar and NorthStar.  The nice thing about them is that they are already fairly three-dimensional, unlike the PE ones you see from places like Eduard.  I saw one model where the builder used Eduard but built up the figures using glued-on cornstarch, but that seemed like a bit too much work for this go around.

Thanks for all the interest and help on this log.  Really appreciate it!

IMG_2700.JPG.fa4cab816ad40855f5c4ab5305f91cfc.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG.f4176ff50ed79719887aa30f42f95471.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG.8811144349e9159236c20601c748de42.JPG

IMG_2702.JPG.6b14ace866c7e6b4e936cbf9254abf4f.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG.a350cc0ea35b60e7f6f76c72547665ac.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG.ed0e1da6338c146f2c1e2a4cac425580.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG.f17c2df14340237066a72ce6b217839a.JPG

IMG_2706.JPG.9522f9a53a285e4d573258a46fd95b0c.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG.8f712eeb174c769d5a9c488b36335ebb.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG.fc158f42306a418eaf33e75e58e5d1a2.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG.c3f53c28b997c9861c5f5722dca7487d.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG.0dc395db6531d289bd9422434e71b985.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG.793febafca4db55319387b09a64af1dd.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG.20dd51889b47e46a8f5d52eab8122070.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG.7ac1103bcbb6868c447e02a099472633.JPG

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

She turned out very nice Mike. Certainly looks like she is in a hurry to be somewhere important. Hope you have a nice place reserved for her.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

14 minutes ago, lmagna said:

She turned out very nice Mike. Certainly looks like she is in a hurry to be somewhere important. Hope you have a nice place reserved for her.

Thanks Lou, really appreciate the kind words.  Was a real learning experience for sure, which the Shimakaze and Yaeyama are benefiting from.  I can already see how the difference in PE work between the Yaeyama and this one.

I'm working on what to do about display/storage.  So far I have a cabinet in the basement where it's sat for the time being, but my Shimakaze is about done and won't be able to fit. :(

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Somehow missed the end of this...looks fantastic Mike.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Outstanding ,Mike. Looks as if my finger would get wet if I touched the base.

Mighty impressive result Mike, I particularly like the dynamic presentation. Great impression of movement. 

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!  

Mike

Fantastic  work Mike   -   Really well done.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

It looks great and the whole diorama sets the mood.   Very well done, Mike.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• The title was changed to IJN Hatsuzakura by Landlubber Mike - FINISHED - Pit Road - 1/700 - PLASTIC - with FiveStar PE