HMS Sphinx 1775 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

33 minutes ago, Neill said:

MDF dust is especially nasty stuff if inhaled

That’s not any less true of plywood dust or any sawdust for that matter. When sanding anything I wear a mask. MDF is a solid reliable frame for any 1:64 ship model. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

4 minutes ago, James H said:

Suffice to say that many wood dusts are classed as carcinogens, and with ply, you can add the bonding resin to that, which isn't water soluble. 

Anyway......we don't have a great track record on MSW for debating MDF, so let's close that subject. 

Thats why i Sand outside mostly

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

2 hours ago, James H said:

Suffice to say that many wood dusts are classed as carcinogens, and with ply, you can add the bonding resin to that, which isn't water soluble. 

Anyway......we don't have a great track record on MSW for debating MDF, so let's close that subject. 

MDF is a great material, all my workshop benching is made of it.  Like all things, it just needs to be used correctly and with care, whether large project or small.🤐🙂

Current build: Lady Nelson

Wow, Chris's website shows the 1st run of the Sphinx is sold out.  Must be some sort of record. Congratulations to Chris and James. Long may the Vanguard line prosper. 

Malcolm   

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

I second that Malcolm, it is a great testament to the hard work that Chris and James have put in to the development of this kit and I'm looking forward to the arrival on my doorstep of a big box from The Forest of Dean in the next week or so.

Long live Vanguard Models.

Chris

Going up to Bahrain on the Caltex Cannonball

I am told I will receive the printed material (plans, manual and box label) on Friday, so all Sphinx orders will start to be shipped from Monday.

This is well over three times the weight of any previous kit!

And thank you, I still cannot believe I sold out of my first batch! I am working on the second batch, but will not get the PE until late next month, as Italy seems to close down in August.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

8 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I am told I will receive the printed material (plans, manual and box label) on Friday, so all Sphinx orders will start to be shipped from Monday.

This is well over three times the weight of any previous kit!

And thank you, I still cannot believe I sold out of my first batch! I am working on the second batch, but will not get the PE until late next month, as Italy seems to close down in August.

Hi, if it should make any difference for others, you can move my order to the second batch, i dont plan to start the Sphinx until i have finished the Lady Nelson and that will still take some time 

Jacek

3 hours ago, AlanDavison said:

Hi James,

just wondering, do you intend to publish any pictures of the model fully rigged?

As soon as it's fully rigged, yes...definitely. 

It's full steam ahead now so Chris can add that stuff to the Rev.2 instruction manual for next batch of kits. 
The rig stuff isn't really needed for the manual as that's usually all done via plans anyway, but it's nice to add some of it to the next updated manual.

3 hours ago, James H said:

As soon as it's fully rigged, yes...definitely. 

It's full steam ahead now so Chris can add that stuff to the Rev.2 instruction manual for next batch of kits. 
The rig stuff isn't really needed for the manual as that's usually all done via plans anyway, but it's nice to add some of it to the next updated manual.

Mine will have to be dockyard style, unrigged, due to size restrictions anyway, so no grumbling from me.  Looking forward to a big heavy box arriving soon.

Current build: Lady Nelson

I, too, am really looking forward to getting this kit.    And I echo a number of members stating this build will be dockyard style with no rigging (or minimal rigging).      There are already 10 fully rigged models around the house and there is just no more room for a fully rigged model.   In fact , I am thinking that all my future builds will be unrigged.

I wonder if there is any market for just a dockyard style model?      I know model shipways has the confederacy this way but I don't know how well that kit has sold.

8 hours ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

I know model shipways has the confederacy this way but I don't know how well that kit has sold.

A quick search turns up a pretty good sized list of builds.   It has been from all accounts a pretty popular model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but just to be clear. Will the Sphinx come with the mast and rigging or is that sold seperately.?Or do you just supply your own and use Vanguard rope,blocks and dead eyes?

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

15 hours ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

I, too, am really looking forward to getting this kit.    And I echo a number of members stating this build will be dockyard style with no rigging (or minimal rigging).      There are already 10 fully rigged models around the house and there is just no more room for a fully rigged model.   In fact , I am thinking that all my future builds will be unrigged.

I wonder if there is any market for just a dockyard style model?      I know model shipways has the confederacy this way but I don't know how well that kit has sold.

Have a look at a company called CAF the Enterprise is a fully open build in 1/48 they are a sponsor of this site and link is in my build logs and also on home page

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

3 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but just to be clear. Will the Sphinx come with the mast and rigging or is that sold seperately.?Or do you just supply your own and use Vanguard rope,blocks and dead eyes?

Yes, it comes with masting and rigging. 

See post #285 above.

And the masting pics in this build log.

2.thumb.jpg.0b07b846f4cd8bbcaa32d754d7d4f69d.jpg

6 minutes ago, James H said:

Yes, it comes with masting and rigging. 

See post #285 above.

And the masting pics in this build log.

2.thumb.jpg.0b07b846f4cd8bbcaa32d754d7d4f69d.jpg

Thank you for that. Looks fantastic.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Looking amazing as always.

Ratlines really are a tedious thing to do on a model. 1270 knots... James man are your eye's still working? 

Edited by BenD

5 minutes ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

James,

When you talk about diluted glue or diluted varnish, what dilution are you talking about.    one to one?   or something else.

Cat say myself for varnish, but for diluted glue i make a Milky consistency

Jacek