HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

The ones that came were damaged in getting them off. 

I'm sure you could get new ones easily enough from Chris if necessary, Mark.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, druxey said:

Unfortunately, in our ship model world re-do's are the rule rather than the exception

Half my life is re-do's.  Just ask my first wife.   🙂

Re-do's are a part of the process to be sure.  All things considered, I'm pretty "ok" with this build.   It could be better but it is what it is.   I have place waiting in the living room for it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm temporarily suspending this log.  The build isn't going the way I'd like it due my eyes.  Apparently, things have changed due to the surgery and the meds and now I need new glasses.  I'll continue to work where I'm comfortable with and post as I go on those areas.  I'm just having a really hard time seeing the small stuff and working with it.  Until I get the new glasses, I just don't feel I can do this kit justice.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry to read of your ocular issues, Mark. Hopefully you can at least enjoy reading others' logs until your new lenses are ready.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Dang, Mark.  Very sorry to hear that.  I hope that you can quickly get new glasses and that they fix things for you.  I look forward to you being able to resume this cool build.

Mark, sorry to hear this. I hope you get it resolved in short order. 

Mark  how about one of those  optovisors  with the  various strenth lenses,   I use one of those  and they are very good for us  with weak eyes.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Mark  how about one of those  optovisors  with the  various strenth lenses,   I use one of those  and they are very good for us  with weak eyes.

OC.

I have one but I need the lenses to have prisms as one eye is weaker than the other.  I think I need less prism now as I'm getting double vision a lot lately.

It'll all be resolved.  I can't get in to eye folks until April.  Seems they suddenly got swamped with appointments as the restrictions from virus are being raised.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Bummer, Mark, I've been enjoying following your build. Will you be able to get your eyes examined and get some new glasses pretty soon?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

3 minutes ago, BobG said:

Bummer, Mark, I've been enjoying following your build. Will you be able to get your eyes examined and get some new glasses pretty soon?

I think we cross posted... April at the earliest.  Meantime I will sort out what I can and can't do.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very sorry to hear this, Mark, but it sounds like you are tackling the problem the right way. 

Take it easy, catch up on Netflix and Master and Commander.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

1 minute ago, bruce d said:

Very sorry to hear this, Mark, but it sounds like you are tackling the problem the right way. 

Take it easy, catch up on Netflix and Master and Commander.

Netflix?   Don't have cable TV by design (mine) but do have Master and Conmander on CD.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hope it resolves soon, a shame you can’t be seen before April. I can get you into a Texas eye doctor next week. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hey Mark - we’re here with you when you’re ready to return.  I get it with the eyes - I just ordered some surgical loupes because I can’t see crap any more these days.  😕 

Good luck friend, and don’t be a stranger despite the pause.  :)

Sorry to hear that Mark. Hope you are able to resolve the vision issues soon. We’ll wait patiently for you in the meantime.

Hang in there Mark, take care of those eyes and get back to building when you can.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

As the other guys have said, and we'll all be here waiting.

Take care!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Eye problems are just the worst, especially if you like building models. I had Vitreous detachment last year and it made a bunch of floaters in my vision. Hard to pay attention when there are dozens of little squiggly lines floating in your eye.  

I'll be here waiting with everyone else!

Thanks everyone.   I'm heading over to the eye office Monday.  I did some research via phone with them and they might have some things that might work temporarily such as some 'mix and match" lenses.  Sort of like the ones you can buy at the drugstore or grocery store but in this case the lenses are "different".   I'll go see what they have.    As for the build.... I'm going to work on the bigger bits and pieces that I can see easily.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, both are positive approaches, I'm hoping your eye doctor visit Monday produces a acceptable solution.  

Best of luck with the eye doctor. It's definitely no fun when the peepers are malfunctioning. I had a long wait for cataract surgery last year. Really got out of sorts with the wait. At least you have an avenue for some work.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The quest for a fix for my eyes was a success.   As for the build, I've been working with the PE friezes and less then happy with my work so I've pulled the few I had installed off and set them aside for now.  Luckily, none have been damaged.  I'll get the hang of this sooner or later.   

While I think this through on the friezes, I'll bypass that step and come back to it.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good news about your eyes Mark.  

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

The "eyes" have it! You're good to go, Mark! 👍

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Mark, wonderful news regarding the successful vision fix. Good to hear you were able to remove the PE friezes without damage.