How many kits do you have on the go at the moment?

CaptnBirdseye

Guess I’m going to be the only here yet to say “ONE”! 😁 Not to say that after I’m done cutting my teeth on the Lady Nelson I might work on more than 1 build. But right now, every step of my 1st build is a new adventure.  👍

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

39 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Guess I’m going to be the only here yet to say “ONE”! 😁

Nope!  I'm right there with you, Dave.  One at a time.  I have several requests/suggested ideas for SIBs piling up but I won't start on a new one till I finish the one I'm working on.   

On 1/12/2022 at 11:45 AM, ccoyle said:

Once motivation is lost, it's very difficult to get it back -- at least for me.

Interesting note there. As a retailer of kits, I see this on a regular basis. 

Another way to ask this question would be, "why are you building models?" 

Rick Shousha

Montreal

On 1/18/2022 at 10:12 PM, allanyed said:

For the cost of those kits one could have purchased a shop of top quality machines and  materials and build models that would be far and away better than any kit, PLUS, there would be hundreds of choices of vessels that few, if any, have ever built before. 

Please remember that not everyone has the time, inclination or workshop space to produce the parts needed to scratch build. 

I know I don't. That's why I'm happy to work on quality kits. I sometimes feel that there are folks on MSW that look down both on kits, and those that build them. 

• 2 weeks later...

¨Interesting note there. As a retailer of kits, I see this on a regular basis. 

Another view of this, is it really that important that you finish the model?

If you have fun and enjoy building why bother if its not finished, but that was maybe what you wrote. :)

I dont have a problem taking up a build that I have left, if I get the inspiration. My ¨problem¨ is that after a while I feel bored and continue with some other building project, a boat or modelrailroading.

I dont know if its me or the persons around me that have a problem with me not finishing models, something to think about as well.

Edited by ubjs
Missed quoting

I have a delayed HMS Victory prototype by Amati, and I'm currently building Vanguard Models' Ranger fisher. 

Ranger will be done soon, then it's onto Indefatigable. 

There is a Mary Rose lurking in the background, and Panart's 'Posto di combattimento', but those are ancient projects now, so don't really count until I ever decide to resurrect them. MK's AVOS is also there, and that will be done as soon as time permits.

1 hour ago, ubjs said:

¨Interesting note there. As a retailer of kits, I see this on a regular basis. 

Another view of this, is it really that important that you finish the model?

If you have fun and enjoy building why bother if its not finished, but that was maybe what you wrote. :)

I dont have a problem taking up a build that I have left, if I get the inspiration. My ¨problem¨ is that after a while I feel bored and continue with some other building project, a boat or modelrailroading.

I dont know if its me or the persons around me that have a problem with me not finishing models, something to think about as well.

I have to admit, the pleasure, for me, is in the building. However as different things pique my interest at different times, i can tend to stop and start a kit - but for me that's what keeps it fresh and interesting. Just my take....

18 minutes ago, James H said:

I have a delayed HMS Victory prototype by Amati, and I'm currently building Vanguard Models' Ranger fisher. 

There is a Mary Rose lurking in the background, and Panart's 'Posto di combattimento', but those are ancient projects now, so don't really count until I ever decide to resurrect them. MK's AVOS is also there, and that will be done as soon as time permits.

That's a good job with the Amati Victory, as i REALLY want that but will need to make some room first 😱 lol

3 hours ago, James H said:

I bet I speak for many when I say I’m REALLY looking forward to seeing the Indefatigable come to life! I predict that will be a best seller. 👍😀

Dave

I had to look back to the beginning.........could have sworn I posted on a subject like this a while ago :blush:  I am soooooo guilty........I should be locked away and the key thrown away!!!  just an off the cuff guess........I think I have as many as 20 kits in various stages of assembly.  I really should do a roster of them....perhaps I will and post it later.  I could try and come up for an excuse for it,  but it all boils down to whatever is interesting,  or if it has ever been attempted.  kits or scratch build.......makes no difference to me......it all in the eye of the beholder.  a big one for me is looking into the history of kits....it's amazing what you will find.   modeling needs thought.......about your subject and what you've read about it.......molding it into flesh.  tangible to the touch,  and visual to the eye.  the question is........do I act on what I've read?  I put a lot of information on the back burner......my wish list for future modeling........some don't stay hidden for long though.  I have to let some of the monsters out.

for some,  it is good.   when faced with a problem on one project,  switching to another is a good way to stay busy,  while thinking of the solution.  I'm not one to just sit there and ponder.  for others,  it may not be......and that's good too.  it's not a race and folks like to savor their experiences.  it's all in what you expect from the hobby.......whatever rabbit hole you want to go down,  you've found the right place ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well, just finished a Vanguard Fifie, a Teutonic Knight on horseback and working on a WWI German tank with full interior. Also finished a display case for the Fifie. My plans are to complete the WWI tank in a diorama (will include water!) or should I say a vignette. Next will be the Vanguard Nisha and a display case then a 90 mm Ramses II with his chariot and 2 horses. Like to jump from wood to styrene then metal.

Those Vanguard fishing boats are great for a beginner like myself, the Nisha has a couple runs of ratlines, just enough for practice without going crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/1/2022 at 14:21, Papa said:

Solo tengo 3 disponibles en este momento. Charles W Morgan, Gjoa (Model Shipways barco de casco sólido de Amundson), y los Estados Unidos, (papel). Últimamente solo he estado trabajando en el Morgan.

I have the Charles W. Morgan 1:50 but the instructions and plans have deteriorated due to a humidity problem. If anyone has them I would appreciate it if you could send them to me. Thank you.

Having finished my Winchelsea nef, I'm back to a single model - restoring/repairing the Great Harry I built when I was 17, over 50 years ago. I've committed myself to finish that before I start on my next model, though I have spent much of the time working on two models at the same time, moving from one to the other as I lose interest/get overwhelmed/hit problems.

On 3/30/2022 at 7:57 AM, James H said:

Please remember that not everyone has the time, inclination or workshop space to produce the parts needed to scratch build. 

Honestly, there's not all that much sophisticated equipment needed for a scratch build. I've finished two scratch built models (and working on a third) with a very basic set of tools. It would be nice to have a bench saw and a scroll saw, and I do plan to get them in due course, but I can survive without them for the time being (though I have had to get someone else to saw wood into sheets for me).

Steven

On 3/29/2022 at 4:57 PM, James H said:

I know I don't. That's why I'm happy to work on quality kits. I sometimes feel that there are folks on MSW that look down both on kits, and those that build them. 

I can relate to this, the only time I've considered scratch building is to build a subject that doesn't have a decent kit.   I find there's enough scratch building that occurs in building a kit to satisfy that need.   Joshua

• 2 months later...

For myself just finished  the Santa Maria , a kit, waiting for the new one to arrive 😀  soon I hope going though withdrawal lol  But I am sure for me it's going to be " One ship at a time " lol

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 9:32 AM, Dave_E said:

Guess I’m going to be the only here yet to say “ONE”! 😁 Not to say that after I’m done cutting my teeth on the Lady Nelson I might work on more than 1 build. But right now, every step of my 1st build is a new adventure.  👍

Well that lasted a few months. 😆 Since I so boldly stated above, I am working on a wooden ship, a card model airplane, just got done building a plastic model plane with my grandson and am researching scratch building a wooden ship. I guess the old “never say never” might apply. 😆

Dave

• 6 months later...

Well I have 8 models sitting in drydock in various stages of completion, half are kits and others are scratch and two are waiting on the decision to mast and rig or not!

To me it doesn't matter if your a scratch builder or a kit builder as it takes a certain amount of time and effort to build both and have well represented models, so you all keep up the good work! And remember it does not have to be perfect and correct, it just needs to satisfy you the builder.

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Ah resistance was indeed futile.  Plans in the shop for a second scratch build and a kit will be on the way as soon as the weather clears in another part of the country.   I'm not complaining.   Isn't there a rule about having the most models wins at some point? I know I won't win, but that's ok.  LOL.  I just need to screw my head on right and get busy. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I remember  when I joined  20 months ago I was so over whelmed  with all the amazing  logs and thought never going to happen.  One ship at a time lol now that  I have finished one  I have three on the go One just about finished  , one half way, one waiting for parts. 

And too make matters worse  I am thinking of the Pegasus  all the time lol.

This is the funniest, finest  hobby  I every had . My head spins with all the ideas I find here.    :cheers:

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Countless. It is faster to count ongoing kits. 😭

(Pending)

Middle age long house - Stone block - 2 years old

Occre HMS Terror - 1 Year old

Zvezda Kruzenshtern - Plastic kit - 1 year old

Zvezda Atomic powered icebreaker Arktika Project 22220 - Plastic kit - 1 year old

Academy Arleigh Burke - Plastic kit - 1 year old

Academy LCS-2 Independence - Plastic kit - 1 year old

Marisstella Liburnian Monoreme - 6 months old

(Ongoing)

Mantua Sergal HMS Bounty 

(On pins and needles 😭)

16 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

And too make matters worse  I am thinking of the Pegasus  all the time lol.

Go for it!  The Pegasus is an absolutely fantastic kit!  Speaking of which, I need to get back to mine!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Go for it!  The Pegasus is an absolutely fantastic kit!  Speaking of which, I need to get back to mine!

Ohh , only if I could . I am so anxious to get back to the Mayflower.  Then I want to build the Nina, follow  by Viking Long Boat, or the Sea of Galalie boat.  Then I should be ready for the Pegasus  lol. And after that I get to buy any model I want LOL  :cheers: