How many kits do you have on the go at the moment?

CaptnBirdseye

Am i the only one who has multiple builds on the go at the moment? All at different stages in their build. I do a bit to one, then put it aside while the glue dries or whatever, then pick up another, etc...

I counted them up last night.

1) Hachette 1/200 Bismarck (wooden original) - awaiting hull planking

2) Occre 1/90 Santissima Trinidad - planking again

4) Hachette U96 - unstated as yet

5)Caldercraft 1/64 HM Brig Supply - another awaiting hull planking

6) Vanguard Models Scottish Fifie - ditto

7) Vanguard Models Scottish Fifie ( yes i have 2) - yep, awaiting hull planking

8/ Vanguard Models 1/64 HM Flirt Master Shipwright Edition- second planking

9) Artesania Latia Arab Dhow - planking

Is that enough to be going on with 😂😂😂 Can anyone see a pattern emerging here?

Edited by RockinBudgie

You are not alone.....

Charles P. Notman - Bluejacket Shipcrafters

HMS Bounty - Billings

HMS Endeavour - Billings

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft

HMS Vanguard - Amati

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

I get bored or burned out, so to keep modeling, I start another.  I know others feel differently, but I personally don't care if I finish a model.  In a lot of ways its anticlimactic for me, and I've been more about the journey than the destination anyway.  Plus, I haven't quite figured out where and how I'll store or display my finished models.

For me, I have 3 wooden ships, 3 plastic ships, and another 7 plastic car and plane models in progress.  I'm at the point where almost all the plastic kits are completed, so I'll have to focus on the wooden ships -- or better yet, start another half dozen plastic kits 😬

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Like others, I usually have two very different models going at the same time. 

Right now I have an almost-finished MFH 1/12 scale Ferrari 315S on hold (got bored polishing the paint out) and I'm building the hull of the Model Shipways Fair American.  Once I get to the point where I need to start hull planking I'll finished up the Ferrari.  Back to the FA then with an Italeri 1/12 Fiat Mephistopheles as a relief as needed.

8 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I get bored or burned out, so to keep modeling, I start another.  I know others feel differently, but I personally don't care if I finish a model.  In a lot of ways its anticlimactic for me, and I've been more about the journey than the destination anyway.  Plus, I haven't quite figured out where and how I'll store or display my finished models.

So right! I already have a 16 feet by 30 feet model railroad in the basement, started a few years ago and not touched for quite a while now. And really nowhere to display model ships. A big problem, too, will be what to do with them upon my demise. I have no issue in the US, and one daughter in the UK (who will be getting married on March 19th this year). How do I get all of these models to her, as my sole heir(ess)? But the journey continues, regardless!

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

The model railroad...

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

Technically, I have three models "in progress" in addition to the one I'm currently working on. In reality, there's only a slim chance that I'll actually finish any of them. Once motivation is lost, it's very difficult to get it back -- at least for me.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I have an OcCre model tram that I started on Boxing Day. And a OcCre Xebec ship I started 7 years ago! 😂 The latter has been in storage much of that time though, having been rescued last week. I also have the Dusek Maria yet to start. As the Maria is substantially smaller than the Xebec I have pondered starting that before continuing with the Xebec, but I suspect it’s just an excuse to start another.

Darren

Current Builds:

Berlin Tram by OcCre

Lady Eleanor by Vanguard

I am presently working on Cutty Sark, but Harvey and Blue Nose are awaiting/being renovated. I have received a just started President, so I should count it. 😉

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

I love these types of topics!   I actually have that Bismarck kit you're working on, the Russian version.   Takes up a lot of space!   I want to get started on it just to free up my area!    

Otherwise, 

I'm working on

1/50 Hachette Black Pearl that started on because I got a little burned out on the Prince De Neufchatel -  Pretty focused on getting this done with a scratch built rigging based on the Royal Caroline.   Most of the remaining elements are built, in the process of assembling and running the running rigging, then shrouds, anchors, and some remaining details.   Presenting with Topsails, Driver and Jib set.  Courses, Bowsprit and Topgallants furled.  

1/64 Model Shipways Prince De Neufchatel -  Hull is done, many of the hull related details are done, need to be assembled.   Obtained the plans from the Smithsonian to confirm rigging and spars - will present with bare spars.  

1/350 Tamiya Mogami - Lots of photo etch to work through, hull and portions of the super structure are started. 

1/350 Revell German Submarine TYPE VII C - assembled, waiting for paint and weathering - want to put in a diorama with resin and contact mines.  

I'm diligently avoiding starting anything else until I finish the first 2 items on this list.   

Joshua  

Edited by Azzoun

I’ll be starting the Agora Bismarck soon. Same as the hatchette but hatchette isn’t available in the US. Also signed up for the titanic from agora but that’s not expected to start shipping in the USA until May.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

7 minutes ago, JeffT said:

I’ll be starting the Agora Bismarck soon. Same as the hatchette but hatchette isn’t available in the US. Also signed up for the titanic from agora but that’s not expected to start shipping in the USA until May.

Good job then that you don't suffer from Agora-phobia!

Guilty as charged!  Excluding untouched "stock" those on the crime sheet currently:- 🕵️‍♂️

Caldercraft "HMAV Bounty"

Vanguard "Nisha" - fishing trawler

Aeronaut "Ramborator" - modern RC pusher tug.

Airfix Hawker Typhoon 1b - car door version (1/24)

Along with @Kevin I'm promising not to get/start more in 2022 until the top two at least are done, but as I pre-ordered Airfix's new 1/24 Spitfire IXc, that might be a problem if it arrives too early in 2022, but I should be safe, as Airfix say it's release date is Summer 2022, so therefore Xmas 2022 might be more likely with them! 😂

Just one kit (on the bench) and one scratch build on hold.  Trying not to order any more plans or kits for now.    Yes, I know resistance is futile.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

In the beginning I swore that I would never start a new project until the current one was finished. I was able to complete my first build (Occre Albatros) alright but then things went off the rails in a hurry. Now in progress are Niagara (MSW), Chaperon (MSW) and the gunboat Philadelphia (also from MSW). I can't even begin to look at the various model manufacturers websites out there in fear that another "just have to have" will appear.

Bob

I usually have two scratch builds on the go at once.

Currently I'm restoring my Great Harry model I built when I was a teenager, having just finished my Winchelsea nef.

I'm currently researching two mediaeval ships with the idea of starting one of them in the near future. But as I put the Great Harry on hold while I built the nef, I think I'd be wise to get a fair bit of it done before I start on a new one. 

Steven

I have 3 ships and a miniature game box set going at the moment.

I have a 1/98 Mantua Victory kit bash that is currently on hold, a 1/200 Orel Solferino kit that is being used as a study model for my third build, a scratch built Magenta.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I juggle a few models at a time, but only one is a ship build.  I use the others to distract me long enough (hours or days) to come back with a fresh look when I get frustrated or between steps.

Amos

Current Build: Occre Essex Whaler (1/60)

Past builds: Amati Coca (1/60, 1st static ship) Little Shelley Foss (1/45) * Dumas Jenny Lee (1/32)* Dumas Painted Racer (1/8)* Dumas Ace Sloop

On 1/12/2022 at 11:18 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

I personally don't care if I finish a model.  In a lot of ways its anticlimactic for me, and I've been more about the journey than the destination anyway.

Given that this is a hobby and supposed to be something you enjoy, that makes a lot of sense.

@BikerMart that model railroad looks awesome!  Is it done to the point that you can run trains?

I haven't tried building more than one at a time, but mainly because I'm still captivated by the one I'm working on.  I want to finish mine and have an idea of how I'll display them.  Winnie will get a custom made wall-mounted case.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Eight months ago I had four builds ongoing. Two scratch builds and two kits. Since then I have finished all but one. I found that I actually got a bit stressed of having several projects going in parallel. I do have a couple of kits in the stash, and several ideas for scratch builds I want to do. Maybe I’ll be distracted by one of them, but as many as four in parallel is too many for me.

My work space is also quite small, so it is easier to have a single build active at a time. 

Yes, the railroad is operational. Trains can go around and around. Locomotives are under DCC control and so more than one can be run at the same time. Mostly steam but I do have one diseasel. I think that the railroad being operational now may be the issue. I think: Okay; I've done that, now what do I do? Once more, it's the journey and not necessarily the destination.

In addition to the Phantom and Wanderer listed below I also have a steel model kit of the Game of Thrones Red Keep by Metal Earth.  Of course I still have the U.S.S.  Constitution in dry dock waiting to be repaired. 😢

Edited by BETAQDAVE

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

BikerMart, nice layout. Looks good.

You may want to try operations. Find a club nearby where you can see things live. And participate. We get fellas in our club who say "I'll just watch" (afraid they might break something?) I tell them to get involved. We can pair the newbie with an old head operator. I have fun at the various ops sessions.

You need to dirty up your structures and plant weeds and trees. Its very pristine as it stands.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

It all depends on what you what refer as "Progress" or "on-the-go".  At one end of the spectrum I presently have  100s of kits and scratch builds of one type or another that COULD be built. At the other end I have two RC tugs that are presently actually being worked on. Somewhere in between I have several that I take down and pet now and again.

Yeah I know, pretty pathetic.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 1/12/2022 at 8:18 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

I personally don't care if I finish a model.  In a lot of ways its anticlimactic for me, and I've been more about the journey than the destination anyway.

You need to get into RC ships Mike.

Unlike RC aircraft that have a tendency to "Re-kit" themselves after a short time and one needs to start allover. Scale boats are a hardier breed. They only get wear and tear and things keep getting broken for one reason or another. You are still making new and improved parts and upgrading the running gear 20 or more years down the road! Also the detailing never ends! Most of my RC ships have only two "Display" locations in my house. The REALLY old inactive models are in the basement on a shelf. The more active models are either sitting on an obscure bookshelf I have or on the workbench, (Read "table") being worked on! The real "Display" happens once a month or so at the local pond where I gather with others and do boat things with them. Lots of fun,     

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Rockinbudgie,

For the cost of those kits one could have purchased a shop of top quality machines and  materials and build models that would be far and away better than any kit, PLUS, there would be hundreds of choices of vessels that few, if any, have ever built before. 

Then again, why do many of us insist on buying more and more books when we usually use no more than a half dozen to a dozen of them even for scratch building?  I guess we all have be a little nuts to be in this great hobby of ours.

To each his own, and God bless us everyone.😀

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 months later...

You make a good point there Allan! I have done a lot of research into quality tools to have a go at scratch building, but there are 3 areas of concern:

1) Price...... given the chance/choice it would be a full workshop of Byrnes Model Machines, but living in the UK, the shipping alone is prohibative :(

2) Available space.....i would need my own workshop, not a spare room that i'm 'allowed' to convert.

3) Skill level.... and this is probably the biggest barrier. That and having the nerve to give it a go in the first place 😱