La Belle Poule 1765 by MTaylor - Scale 1:64 - POB- French Frigate from ANCRE plans

Sorry to enter late Mark, but gad to see you back in the workshop and making great progress - an interesting subject and your previous experience with Licorne will help greatly.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I was getting bored waiting for the wood (be here next week) so besides doing more drawings, I found some "old" 3 ply wood.  I don't think it's the "lite" though as I bought probably 10 years ago.  Minor warping but figured it would work as a test.    I'm glad I did....  Seems when I did the drawings I didn't account properly for the kerf(s).:blush: There's a a total of 8 and all together they added up to ... drum roll.....  about 1/8" (or 3mm if you prefer).  So it's back to the drawing board.  

Anyway, here's a picture where all the joints except the middle one are pressed tight and the extreme ends (not shown) are at the proper place on the drawing.  I have to rework 4 drawings to hopefully get the false keel right and then there's the bow part of the boxwood keel to re-work and check (again with scrap wood).  But it does keep me off the street and out of trouble... mostly.

She's going to be probably the biggest model I've made as all mine (including this one) are 1:64.  Looks to be about just less than 28" (71 cm) long from stem to the end of the stern.

DSCF3088.thumb.JPG.818b3a2fd4c7046841716daa0d7b0689.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What did you expect, when you are burning wood!?

It will probably be the image, but A & B have the right side from the slot nearer the vertical line, and C & D the left, shouldn't the vertical line be in the middle? That way it seems both sides would have an equal size (maybe stil oversized, but at the proper location)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Permission requested to find a seat, i have the popcorn

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Welcome aboard Kevin and Carl.    Popcorn is good.   :)

I re-considered some issues... like having a false keel in 4 parts. Too much room for idiocy on my part.  So... redrew it a single unit.  Looks better now.  I'm happy the wood order hasn't arrived yet.  It should work out better now.  I did move some bulkheads a very small bit and reworked them to not alter the ship's lines.  

Here's the false keel drawing (note that dimensions have been altered because "reasons").  

Test.thumb.jpg.68037e1cec6a567f33ad2b18a5c1815f.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

How did I miss this  - late to the show   - never mind I'll take a seat  next to the popcorn muncher.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Ah-Ha!  Good news. 

Glad I found this. Will be following. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Plenty of chairs and the popcorn is fresh. :)   I'm just about done doing drawings and have actually cut a few piece of boxwood for the keel.  But really on hold until the plywood gets here later this week.  Seems the holiday got in the way of the delivery truck.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark are you going to laser cut the bulkheads?  If so, might I suggest a few minor tweaks.  Mostly on the bulkheads that have really thin points on the bottom where they get very narrow.  If you laser cut this the bulkhead will end up being about 1/2" short on the bottom.

Bulkhead #1.jpg

It is better to shape the bottom like this so the laser kerf doesnt burn the bottom points away.  Kit companies really need to do this because all of their bulkheads are too short when the ends come to a sharp point.  You will fair the hull anyway....and they will end up being correct after you are done sanding.

bhead.jpg

I like chuck's thinking mark  - would certainly help those delicate bottom areas, I had the same problem with my Greyhound  where I found the burning from the laser cutting had made them too short  and even some had chipped away.

I would even be tempted to paint the extreme edges in some CA  (just thinly)  to give them a bit of strength.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks Chuck.  That sounds like good idea. 

The white inside is what is supposed to be left...  but hasn't happened so some rework is required.  I'm going to follow your advice anyway, no matter how I cut themb and I'll still do a test cut using the laser but 1/4" ply which might not be doable.  I like your idea no matter what method.  I'll include this in my testing for both the scroll saw and the laser.

When I test the laser to mark the wood for cutting, I add double the blade kerf thickness, print out the cut sheet and cut just at the outside edge of the marks.  So far, so good on that.   

With the long weekend, wood is not expected until Weds. or Thurs. <sigh>

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark

Please allow me to slightly hijack your log to ask OC about his suggestion in the post above. 

Can you ( OC) expand on your technique of painting CA onto wood to strengthen it?  Does that help only with minor surface chipping, or does it penetrate enough to actually reinforce, say, a timberhead, or, say, a small spar thru which you want to drill a hole near the end?

Again, Mark, sorry for the digression. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

6 hours ago, Srodbro said:

Mark

Please allow me to slightly hijack your log to ask OC about his suggestion in the post above. 

Can you ( OC) expand on your technique of painting CA onto wood to strengthen it?  Does that help only with minor surface chipping, or does it penetrate enough to actually reinforce, say, a timberhead, or, say, a small spar thru which you want to drill a hole near the end?

Again, Mark, sorry for the digression. 

Hi steve,   (hope  you dont mind me discussing this on your log mark)     my thinking was/is that the CA glue would harden and even with just a smear from a fine brush, would add a small amount of protection  to a fine delicate part,   I have never tried it but in hindsight it might work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I've tried the brush and thin CA.  Be prepared to have a supply of brushes on hand as the CA sets up fast.  Anything other than "thin" won't soak in a bit into the wood.   I have used diluted white glue (water to dilute to "milky" consistency).  Put it on, let it dry, and bit of sanding to take of any highspots.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello Mark, Piet is back with you on the LBP build.  Nice going so far.  I'll try to keep up, have many other things going on in my life.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

On 8/30/2019 at 9:06 PM, mtaylor said:

Welcome aboard Kevin and Carl.    Popcorn is good.   :)

I re-considered some issues... like having a false keel in 4 parts. Too much room for idiocy on my part.  So... redrew it a single unit.  Looks better now.  I'm happy the wood order hasn't arrived yet.  It should work out better now.  I did move some bulkheads a very small bit and reworked them to not alter the ship's lines.  

Here's the false keel drawing (note that dimensions have been altered because "reasons").  

Test.thumb.jpg.68037e1cec6a567f33ad2b18a5c1815f.jpg

I like moving to a single piece if the Death Star can handle it.  Only issue might be that if you are using plywood, finding a piece that long that is perfectly flat might be a challenge.  

Nice to see you back in the workshop!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Piet.

Mike,

It's too big for the Death Star.  The main backbone (false keel) is about 29" long.  I've ordered "Lite" plywood which I'll let settle in before using it. I'm also planning on putting in spacers between the bulkheads to help. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, you could always laminate thinner lengths of the backbone using locating holes for pins to align them - resulting in a thicker ply?

cheers

Pat

Pat,

The backbone (false keel) is 1/8" (3.175 mm) thick 3-ply plywood.  My bulkheads are 1/4" 3-ply plywood and are 1-1/2" (41 mm) on center.  I intend to put some wood braces between the bulkheads and along the false keel to make it rigid.

On the local news front... my plywood is being delivered tomorrow.   Yippee....  woohoo-1298.gif.902d940ded9a55611f54e9651c92e732.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The wood arrived and is currently laying flat on my bench with some heavy weights on it.   I guess spending a week in the back of truck in this heat and humidity did it.   I'm also going to have to rework my drawings a tad as, for example, the quarter inch thick wood isn't.  It's about 1/32 shy of 1/4 inch so I'll need to close up the tolerance on the slots in the false keel.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Update, finally.  I've managed to do the false keel in one piece.  Thank heavens for small favors on that one.  I've also cut out the all bulkheads, managed to make the keel, stem, and sternpost.   In the photos, are the false keel with the bulkheads simply fitted.  I'm having a few "minor" issues with the framing bits breaking off but I'm working on a solution.  As it is, 6 maybe 7 need to come off anyway due to being in the way of the gunports.  I will say that I'm glad I'm doing her in 1:48 but 1:64.  She's still a big girl.  

As for the framing bits breaking, I think I had too much "heat" with the laser and I've have some ideas which is the next couple of days project.   I do need to cut "false" frame ends because like pointed out, many will get off for the ports especially the forward 6 bulkheads.  I'll either cut new bulkheads (after modifying the framing bits or fix what I have.  I'm hoping fixing works better rather than having to order more wood.

Anyway, here's photos.  So until next time... 

1-2.thumb.JPG.9c8f31aac67ef27cfbd64e817c33b8cc.JPG

1-1.thumb.JPG.bee93df8896f74a1c70f7b54355f6fbd.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice work with the death star Mark.  Do you have plans t put a temporary riband on those extensions to help brace and protect them?

cheers

Pat

Thanks for the likes.   

Pat, ribands are on the menu of "must do".

Luckily, I had ordered more plywood last week as I suspected that if I didn't, Murphy would run amok and he did.  Somehow, I had two sets of CAD drawings instead of one original and one copy to be transferred to the laptop running the cutter. <double facepalm time). Which means that many of frames were cut with the wrong CAD drawings.   Steps have been taken to ensure this doesn't happen again: a good self flogging and a temporary reduction in the rum ration. 

Any way, when the wood gets here, I'll recut the frames that need cutting, make extra ribs (especially for the bow) and also sort out adding new ones to replace the 6-7 I have to remove for the gunports.   I'm probably going to use a mixture if filler woods below the deck line such as balsa and basswood and possibly some much of scrap plywood to align the bulkheads and also strengthen and straighten the false keel.   Now to be patient waiting for the plywood to arrive from Maine.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

those are delicate posts Mark........very prone to breakage.    would it have been a benefit to make them a bit thicker to allow for sanding and faring?   great job on the frame so far!  this coming from one that is still chained to his scroll saw  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Don't feel bad about the scroll saw, Denis.  I use one also for when I don't want to use laser or for work that is too big for the laser.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: