La Belle Poule 1765 by MTaylor - Scale 1:64 - POB- French Frigate from ANCRE plans

Thanks for the comments and the likes.

I'm plugging away at the stern still.  I took a look at what needs to be done to the bow and that's simple.  This back end is bit of a problem as instead of looking ahead maybe 10 steps, I need to think backwards from the final look to "how do I get there".   I hope to have it resolved in a week and then start making sawdust and hull planks.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice to see an update on La Belle Poule Mark.  Look forward to seeing some planks being hung.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 3 weeks later...

After pounding my head against the wall with the stern, I'm ready to start cutting planks and getting the hull planked.  I've decided to just build the "guts" to take the planking and window and line the inside with blackened wood.  Following the plans at this scale meant all the supports and ribbing were so flimsy, they'd break just looking at them.

Now get the saw adjusted and start cutting swiss pear.

1-33.JPG.2e62878f660d1879dfcc5181604981d5.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks  good Mark, be nice to see you get some planking  on her, but don't they make you tear your hair out!!, I'll admit I'm still trying to get the Triton stern sorted.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

In this case, it probably was my doing.  The other monographs I have are for full framing but this one is bulkheads and the stern is show framed.  Confused the h*** out of me.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looks like you have achieved a good form for your planking to go onto Mark; happy sawdust making.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the likes and comments.

I've started sorting out the planking requirements and tomorrow is wood ripping day.

4 hours ago, KentM said:

So, why didn't you do a plank on frame?  Just wondering.

Kent

The plans are for this one are plank on bulkhead and I think they're the only ANCRE plans that are.  I don't have the skill set to loft frames and I'm just trying to use my time as best I can.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The build looks good, Mark. Nice sweet lines.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I feel reassured by all the posts indicating people having trouble with their models' transoms/sterns...

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

she looks great, i am starting to understand a lot more how these vessels were put together and as a result  im so happy i have taken the chicken route, and got a kit, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 8/17/2020 at 8:39 PM, mtaylor said:

After pounding my head against the wall with the stern, I'm ready to start cutting planks and getting the hull planked.  I've decided to just build the "guts" to take the planking and window and line the inside with blackened wood.  Following the plans at this scale meant all the supports and ribbing were so flimsy, they'd break just looking at them.

Very nice building. Place the strut in the stern, remove it after gluing the boards. Good luck!!:) Ondras.

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

Finally, an update.   After several tries, I finally got the garboard strakes like I want them.  Here's photos of side fore and aft.  On to the wales area.  I'll touch of the sanding and possibly need to add a bit filler up there.  Things got bunged about while doing the garboards.

2-1a.JPG.9104ef820ee0ac4cfa4f4efd5e4afbfa.JPG2-1b.JPG.2492b1fb9c56c7eaa5300faead6f018c.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the comments.  I appreciate it.

I have cut some planks and still sorting out the top of the main wale.   Unlike other ships, the French practice (on frigates at least) from the upper "wale" the planks taper down in thickness.  I'm figuring out things including wood cutting at the current time.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 8/27/2020 at 12:16 AM, mtaylor said:

Finally, an update.   After several tries, I finally got the garboard strakes like I want them.  Here's photos of side fore and aft.  On to the wales area.  I'll touch of the sanding and possibly need to add a bit filler up there.  Things got bunged about while doing the garboards.

2-1a.JPG.9104ef820ee0ac4cfa4f4efd5e4afbfa.JPG2-1b.JPG.2492b1fb9c56c7eaa5300faead6f018c.JPG

perfect sanding on gunwales shapes Mark. like . that must have been tough. Vlad

8 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

perfect sanding on gunwales shapes Mark. like . that must have been tough. Vlad

Thanks.  Not to bad actually.  I have couple of cut off pieces of plastic pipe in various dimensions. Wrap the paper around it and it does curves nicely.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Vladamir, I think we all have those moments when our brains go mushy.  I"m lucky I haven't forgotten my name yet.

Gary, thank you.  I"m not sure about the 'real shipbuilder' part though.  :)  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ah, the joys of getting older.   I heard the cell phone about week and ago and couldn't find it.   It was in my pocket.  I'm just about ready for the home.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

These thing happen so our children can laugh at us😁, like when I'm looking for my glasses only to realise I'm wearing them🙄🙄

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

What a joy it is to watch people work their magic. So entertaining and educational too.  Can't wait to see the planking 🙂 

Tom.

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

• 1 month later...

This ship isn't dead, I've just been busy.  Seems real life is in the way and also some reworks of things I've found I'm not happy with.  But, I think the ship problems resolved and once I've laid down some hull planks, I'll update things.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Completely understand Mark!  We'll be hear to share the next steps with you.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)