Cheap and effective tools

Not my idea but one I am using to great success...using dental picks (toothpick shaped plastic with a little tuft of "hair"on one end..very cheap....use once and toss...as they have a small head they are very easy to position in really tight spots.

I mentioned in my own log that Japanese saws are Xacto saws on steroids...they are very fine toothed but cut through hard woods much faster.

I also have cut manicurist's files into pointed  wedges....find them handy to sand narrow spaces like when cutting/shaping the rabbet on keel.

Nothing terribly original but thought I'd share.

Ron

Ron, now you've done it - Pandora's box has been opened :)

Let me add:  clothes pegs, hair clips and  bulldog clips as clamps

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Shouldn't this be "Inexpensive and effective tools"?  The cheap tool is the one that breaks first time one uses it.  :default_wallbash:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I wouldn’t be without my cheap fly tying vice. Excellent for many jobs where a third hand is essential. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

3 hours ago, Harvey Golden said:

Though we call them clothes pins up Oregon way

Funny. To me these are clothes pins.

image.png.07bebf410e29781a5d8c9bc9a26a5085.png

The Vikings and Anglo-Saxons used them to hold their clothes together.

But whatever you call them, I find clothes pegs very useful, and you can get miniature ones from stationery or art suppliers, which are great in tight spaces. You can get some idea of scale from the glue bottle on the right.

20190601_175322.thumb.jpg.2aebf4dd2ab1a0771ac4c3f74a4d3a8b.jpg

And plastic-headed push pins. Wonderful things.

post-1425-0-61264100-1464434338_thumb.jpg

Though it's occurred to me that I may have overdone it a little on occasion  . . . :P

post-1425-0-88665700-1479026448_thumb.jpg

PS: What do you use the dental picks for?

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Nah!

“If a little is good, more is better and too much is just enough”

certainly applies to Clamps, clothes pegs, and pins of all sorts!

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

Here's another cheap tool: "Pizza savers." Yes, that's what they are called in the trade. They are those white plastic things that look like round tables with three legs that they put in pizza boxes to keep the top of the box from contacting the melted cheese on the pizza and making a mess when it's delivered. 

Image result for white plastic three legged things in pizza boxes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_saver

These make great "painter's points." A painter's point, which are often pyramid-shaped, but can have other suitable shapes, are used to hold a piece of work that needs painting up above the level of a table so it's top and edges can be painted without coming into contact with the bench top that it's being painted on. These "pizza savers" work great for this purpose. Just turn them upside down so they are standing on the round part and you'll have three pegs sticking up to support whatever you need to paint. Use three or four or more to support your work, of course. So, grab 'em when the pizza comes. In short order you'll have a box of them in the shop to use whenever they're needed. 

Store-bought painter's points: No need to waste the money on them anymore.

Anvil Painter's Tripods (10-Pack)

19 minutes ago, FlyingFish said:

Aluminium 12 mm & 19mm channel and thumb screw head bolts. Cheap 'n cheerful.IMG_7350_1280.thumb.jpg.4848889df948e43c821a6b5fa3ad957f.jpg

? Where did you obtain them

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Most metal suppliers will sell the channel, for example:  https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/aluminium/aluminium-channel/100719-p which yu cut and tap to size, these are 3mm.

and the thumb screws https://www.accu.co.uk/en/plastic-thumb-screws/427329-SFTR-M3-30-N

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

The Marine Corps recently changed their standard issue sewing kit which is to bad because I swear they made the previous version just for modelers. There was a pair of scissors, which was essentially 2 #11 blades with a handle, it was incredibly sharp and lasted for ever, they were specifically made to remove IPs, little strings on your uniform. There was strong Black and Tan line in there of different sizes, it had a few cloths pins and some needles, it had all sorts of stuff in a nice green plastic bag lol. The best part is they only cost a dollar! They were cheap because they were pretty much disposable. As soon as you unraveled the string you were done with the kit, but the scissors were  crazy sharp and are perfect for rigging. They used the price to $5, which isn’t bad still for a pair of scissors that is super sharp, very small and light weight. 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

10 hours ago, Ron B said:

2. In Montreal where I grew up we also called them clothes pins

In Toronto, where I grew up we also called them clothes pins and the ones without the spring, clothes pegs.

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King

On 2/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, Keithbrad80 said:

..., they were specifically made to remove IPs, little strings on your uniform.

That brings back memories. Haven’t heard anyone talk about an IP in like 35 years...

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

IP ?

... and I always tried to find a use idea for those 'pizza-savers' - thanks for the tip, Bob. Tha'ts a modeller's mind: whenever he comes across 'something', he thinks, how it could be used in the workshop.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Don’t forget to use empty plastic prescription bottles to store small parts. Thanx to all for some great ideas...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

During my first build I was frustrated using toothpicks to apply glue.  I was at Rockler's and discovered mini glue brushes and a glue keeper for my next built - I really like these silicone tools (I use larger ones in my garage).  When the glue drys it is easy to remove from the keeper and brushes.  I typically just put a small dollop of glue for the task (much smaller than the picture), wipe any glue from a brush (wet/semi dry/dry), and repeat.  The keeper shown is the top of a larger container. 

glue-10.jpg.387ee17ec1e3dc5cc5d4fcb3d0346e52.jpg

Completed Build:   King of the Mississippi by Cleat

The silicone 'brushes' can be bought in most art-shops and through the usual auction Web-sites. They are meant to be used instead of palette-knives in painting with pastose acrylics and for sculpting in soft materials.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Not to wish anybody bad luck, BUT:  two times when I have visited the Emergency Room, a table saw accident for me (I still have all 10 fingers) and once when my wife cut her finger, the doctor asked if I was a fly fisherman.  When I responded that I built ship models he gave me the tweezers and forceps that he had used.  He said, “we just throw them out.”

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere on the internet (I think it was on somebody's thread here on MSW), I saw a picture of someone holding a mini rafter square.  It was small enough to be useful in squaring bulkheads, etc.  Anyone use such a tool? Where did you get it?  

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

14 hours ago, GGibson said:

Somewhere on the internet (I think it was on somebody's thread here on MSW), I saw a picture of someone holding a mini rafter square.  It was small enough to be useful in squaring bulkheads, etc.  Anyone use such a tool? Where did you get it?  

Do you mean this one ?  I got it from Lee Valley . It is their pocket layout square, about 1.5 inches 

20210205_115143.thumb.jpg.3cfed8111a7fb8b0c4c4509aae7903fb.jpg

Edited by Jack12477