Chris Watton and Vanguard Models news and updates Volume 2

26 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Our flag wouldn’t have the red sea down the sides, so hopefully the actual installation will provide for removing those. With each new state came a new star, so if the time period is before the 16th state in 1796 the number of stares is correct. The flag had 15 stripes only between 1794 and 1818 then went back to 13, making it unique in our history. 

As the flag needs trimming from its sheet, just trim that red line off.

That takes care of the outer edge as long as the ratio of the blue field to the total width of the flag is accurate. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Chris

Please would you help with this question about Sphinx:

I've just got to where I fix the sheer and waist rails (slow going I know but I'm relishing every minute!) and I cannot find any reference to, or use for, the pre-drilled holes on the rails either side of the gunports.  

I've looked through the Sphinx build logs here, but in the finished models it appears that these holes are not used for anything.

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

1 minute ago, Nipper said:

Chris

Please would you help with this question about Sphinx:

I've just got to where I fix the sheer and waist rails (slow going I know but I'm relishing every minute!) and I cannot find any reference to, or use for, the pre-drilled holes on the rails either side of the gunports.  

I've looked through the Sphinx build logs here, but in the finished models it appears that these holes are not used for anything.

Nipper

They are simply alignment holes, for you to pin in place to help keep all aligned. After the glue has set, you can either remove the pins or cut them so they're flush with the surface. They probably aren't really needed, but there if you want to use them. I have a lot of small holes like that for when I am first developing the prototype, and usually removed for the production version. This time, I decided to leave in place, thinking they may be useful for some modellers.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

5 minutes ago, chris watton said:

They are simply alignment holes, for you to pin in place to help keep all aligned. After the glue has set, you can either remove the pins or cut them so they're flush with the surface. They probably aren't really needed, but there if you want to use them. I have a lot of small holes like that for when I am first developing the prototype, and usually removed for the production version. This time, I decided to leave in place, thinking they may be useful for some modellers.

Thanks Chris

In fact, I did just that when fitting the bow section without realising the cunning plan that you had come up with!

I'll think about filling them, possibly with a bit of sanding dust and dilute glue.

• 2 months later...

OK, Grecian is now fully complete and available for pre order:

The Baltimore privateer schooner Grecian 1812 – VANGUARD MODELS

I also have some extras for the Grecian kit, pearwood blocks:

Grecian Pearwood Block Set – VANGUARD MODELS

US Flag:

Grecian flag for US service – VANGUARD MODELS

PE copper plate set (to replace copper tape that is standard in the kit)

Grecian Copper Plates set – VANGUARD MODELS

And finally, a Grecian paint set:

Grecian paint set – VANGUARD MODELS

A big thank you to Jim for the superb build, pics and text for the manual!

I have attached a pic of the box label. Like the actual model, the box is long and sleek..

Now, I continue to work on Trial Cutter, the 14th kit. Next week, I will receive a truly massive shipment from Italy of photo etched sheets for almost all of my range (Fifie. Zulu, Sphinx, Duchess, Grecian etc.) plus my Trial Cutter sample sheets, so I can continue with this model.

Also included is a new set of Speedy PE. This kit will be out of stock (I think we have one left) until I have completed a little re design and updated the plans and manual, which I shall do once the Trial Cutter is complete. 

Grecian box art.jpg

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Grecian is now available and in stock.

All Grecian printed materials arrived yesterday, and my large photo etch shipment arrived Tuesday (Sphinx, Duchess, Fifie, Zulu, Grecian and new Speedy production PE sheets)

Yesterday I finished all 'woodwork' for the Trial Cutter, leaving only the rigging to do to complete this model. before starting the masts and rig, I always draw the full mast and rig plans, so I can work from them. I think this one should be ready in around 8 weeks. The only power tools I have used during the construction of the Trial Cutter is a small sanding mouse for sanding the first and second planking. The rest has been simple hand tools, David Plane for masts and spars, pin vice for hand drilling (only around 16 holes are required to be drilled, mostly for masts and yards, the rest being pre cut), needle files and my trusty Stanley Knife.

After this, I will sort out the refreshed Speedy designs, and get the new Speedy kit back into stock. Once done, this leaves me free to concentrate on my 15th medium/large kit.

Grecian banner.jpg

Trial cutter 8.jpg

Trial cutter 9.jpg

logo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I completed the manual and box label for the Trial Cutter. These and the 11 plan sets have been sent off to the printers, so I shall receive those in the next 10 days or so.

I am still waiting for the photo etched sheets, though, and as these are produced in Italy, I will not open the kit for sale until I have the PE here with me. I anticipate very early July.

In the meantime, the product page is live, and once I have the PE, the new kit be added to stock:

HM Trial Cutter – 1790 – VANGUARD MODELS

Trial Cutter box label.jpg

222 (1).jpg

223 (1).jpg

224 (1).jpg

225 (1).jpg

226 (1).jpg

228 (1).jpg

230 (1).jpg

231 (1).jpg

logo.jpg

7 minutes ago, druxey said:

Nice to see a more unusual subject as a kit, Chris!

Thank you!

I quite like doing this one, more of a challenge than a standard hull.

Forgot to mention, the drop keels can be displayed down or housed in the hull.

logo.jpg

Just thought I'd do a little update on my future plans, as they have changed somewhat.

Right now, I am working on the 2023 version of Speedy, which will have a few changes from the original kit. This was brought about due to the lack of copper for photo etched copper plating and, at the time of developing Speedy, it was designed for limewood, and not pear. I have re done the photo etched sheets and these new versions are already here with me, ready to go into the revised kits once ready. The new version will have a lot more laser cut pear than the original. I am hoping to have this all done within the next 4-6 weeks.

After this, and after very long deliberations, I decided to hold off on Surprise for two reasons. the first is that I would rather wait until copper for PE becomes available again, so I do not want to develop any ship that had copper plating from launch right now. The second reason is that it would be another frigate, so soon after Indy.

So, looking at my 'Future Developments' folder, I came across one folder that contained the start of the designs I started in 2019. I even have the 3-d print files for figurehead and stern, which are all paid for. This was meant to be my second kit after Alert - before I realised the material quantities needed for such a kit, and at the time, would have been economic suicide for me. Now, however, it makes sense that it could be my 15th kit, introducing a 2-decker into the range. This 15th kit will be HMS Bristol, a 50 gun 2 decker.  I will continue this project as soon as I have completed the Speedy re designs.

logo.jpg

Bristol seems a very interesting choice. Just a question:

Would it perhaps be possible to construct at the same time an additional 'difference-kit' which would allow us to build that other famous ship of the Portland-Class: 'The horrible old Leopard' of Patrick O'Brian/Jack Aubrey?

24 minutes ago, flyer said:

Bristol seems a very interesting choice. Just a question:

Would it perhaps be possible to construct at the same time an additional 'difference-kit' which would allow us to build that other famous ship of the Portland-Class: 'The horrible old Leopard' of Patrick O'Brian/Jack Aubrey?

I would think so. Leopard would have been copper bottomed from launch, though, plus a gangway at the waste with boat beams, and built up quarterdeck bulwarks.

Also Leander would be good one, being at the Nile and although captured after the battle by one of the monster French 74's, Généreux, almost twice Leander's size, put up one hell of a fight before conceding defeat.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Sounds very sensible to me Chris.  You have to have a strategic plan for your business to succeed long term.

As long as Surprise still goes ahead at the appropriate time, because it will be a winner, I'm certain!  Many of us on MSW will have our own personal wishes and wants from you, so I will confess mine - that you will produce some crew figures for Surprise, not just the main characters.  

But above all, I believe we all would be happy to put our personal wishes to one side and support you to the full in ensuring that VM goes from strength to strength.

Nipper

I’m a fan of Chris and fully support what works for his business. 

Hopefully all those that said they wanted Indy have their order in and if not in now order it soon. I’m sure Chris’s investment in such a detailed model is significant  Revenue provides the capital for future models. His kits are such a level above all others. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

11 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I’m a fan of Chris and fully support what works for his business. 

Hopefully all those that said they wanted Indy have their order in and if not in now order it soon. I’m sure Chris’s investment in such a detailed model is significant  Revenue provides the capital for future models. His kits are such a level above all others. 

I seriously would love to see you tackle her sometime. The hull is sat here in front of me, and it's monumental!

5 minutes ago, James H said:

see you tackle her

With Winchelsea underway I’d have to negotiate for space in the house for two such big hulls first 😁🤔

Regards,

Glenn

30 minutes ago, Guyuti said:

With the Speedy upgrade, will people who bought the original set be able to buy an upgrade kit to bring their kits up to this new standard>

Regards

Guy

No, the updated Speedy will be too different.

There is nothing wrong with the Speedy you have. I had to remove from stock and change it due to the copper PE. But at the same time, I decided to bring the kit up to the same standards as the latest in the range, with a 2mm thick keel and 1mm pear outers for the rabbet. Essentially, it will be a new kit, not really compatible with the old one, as it is only the main hull that is being changed. Fittings, etc stay the same.

ETA - It had already been updated incrementally over the past couple of years, replacing the photo etched gratings and yard cleats with laser cut pear, updating the cannon carriages and generally adding more detail to laser cut parts. 

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Am working on Speedy V2023 right now, almost completed the overhaul.

What started as a simple 'Careening' for this 'slight' redesign has somehow turned into  a 'Middling-Large Repair'

Here are the 4 x 1mm laser cut sheets (old kit had half a sheet in total). I just need to do a final check of these parts..

(Still waiting for the photo etched sheets to come from Italy for Trial Cutter)

ETA, as the Speedy model will be only half built, to replace build pics in the new manual, the second planking is Tanganyika - I prefer this as it only took me 6 hours to plank the hull 

Speedy 2023 1mm sheets.jpg

Speedy 2023 Bulwark.jpg

Speedy 2023 planking.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

OK, I have just finished what I need to regarding building up the new Speedy hull.

These pics will show what has changed. The old Speedy required planking all the way to the top of the bulwarks, also the inner bulwarks. 

The new version is completely pre cut from the main wale up, with spirketting added for the inner bulwarks, plus engraved planking and treenail detail for all surfaces. All channels, inner bulwark belaying racks and cleats now slot and glue into place, in pre cut slots, saving the need for pinning and gluing.

Please bear in mind that the model shown has no real finishing, no varnish etc. It was used just to add new pictures to the revised manual.

I will now spend the rest of the week updating the manual, ready to send to printers, and next week, start cutting the new sheets, so I hope to have this re released in around 2 weeks.

Speedy 1.jpg

Speedy 2.jpg

Speedy 3.jpg

Speedy 4.jpg

logo.jpg

On 7/4/2023 at 1:00 PM, chris watton said:

released in around 2 weeks

Now I know what my new build will be.

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

OK, the updated Speedy is now live:

HMS Speedy – Version 2023 – VANGUARD MODELS

These will be ready to ship early next week, as I have the printed stuff arriving at the end of this week. The old manual is still avaialbel to download and the updated manual is now also available to download.

The ladders and gratings option have been deleted, as these are all included with the 2023 version.

Regarding Trial Cutter, it is very frustrating for me, as I am still waiting for a delivery date for the phot etched sheets. These are all I am waiting for, with everything else ready to go.

logo.jpg

For those that may be interested, I have produced a new file for the Indy laser engraved limewood deck set. It will be on 4 separate 1x150x800mm limewood sheets, as seen on the drawing.  The decks have had to be split down the centre, due to width restrictions.

I should have three sets ready for early next week, and have a new batch of limewood arriving in September, so can do more if there is a call for them.

Speedy printed stuff arrived today, so that's all ready and in stock. (Even has a little binnacle now...)

But still waiting for my damn Trial Cutter PE......

1mm Limewood engraved deck[42811].jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

2 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Hi Chris,
What’s the difference with these to the kit supplied version?

B.E.

There is not kit supplied equivilent. I did have a few laser etched decks when first released as an optional extra, but these were on custom sized wood and very expensive, and very costly in the end due to most of the sheets being unsuitable for purpose.

I do however buy large quanties of 1x150x1000mm limewood, which I use for all engraved decks now, so I thought I would again offer the Indy pre made decks, albeiit in more separate parts than before due to width limitations.

logo.jpg

Here is the first Indy deck set off the laser machine.

I will only have a few until I restock my wood sheets in September, as most of my last batch went on re stocking all kit decks..

HMS Indefatigable Engraved Deck Set – VANGUARD MODELS

Indy lime deck 1.jpg

Indy lime deck 2.jpg

Indy lime deck 3.jpg

Indy lime deck 4.jpg

logo.jpg