Chris Watton and Vanguard Models news and updates Volume 2

On 7/10/2023 at 5:09 PM, chris watton said:

OK, the updated Speedy is now live:

HMS Speedy – Version 2023 – VANGUARD MODELS

Hi Chris,

Do you have any plans to update the Flirt kit in a similar manner, as they are sister ships?  I’m shopping what I want to do on a model to fully rig and the brigs look much more doable for me.  I really like the color scheme of the Flirt and the fact that it has no coppering.  I know at the end of the day these are aesthetic choices and I could just easily get Speedy and use the Flirt scheme.  But I thought I’d ask about update plans.

Thanks!

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Methinks I see drop-keel slots 🤔

They might be..... 

10 minutes ago, rlwhitt said:

Hi Chris,

Do you have any plans to update the Flirt kit in a similar manner, as they are sister ships?  I’m shopping what I want to do on a model to fully rig and the brigs look much more doable for me.  I really like the color scheme of the Flirt and the fact that it has no coppering.  I know at the end of the day these are aesthetic choices and I could just easily get Speedy and use the Flirt scheme.  But I thought I’d ask about update plans.

Thanks!

No plans to re design Flirt, as I am happy with the kit. The only reason I felt I had to do Speedy is because the kit had changed a lot since 2019, so a complete re doing of the PE sheets was absolutely necessary. At the same time, I removed all 'legacy' parts and updated a load of others.  It now has laser cut pear grating, ladders and a binnacle as standard, rather than optional extras - plus of course the new laser cut and engraved outer and inner bulwarks, plus wale and spirketting.

I believe both Alert and Flirt are a perfect balance between more 'old school' and newer kits.

You do not have to copper Speedy, and can paint her exactly as Flirt if you so wish.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had better post on this thread, Trial Cutter is now available and in stock:

HM Trial Cutter – 1790 – VANGUARD MODELS

There will be a couple of days delay in shipping, due to both being very busy (just finishing a couple of large distributor orders) and packing the kits.

There will be one more kit release this year (making 4 new releases for 2023), and then a much longer break for the 16th kit, Bristol, which will be released next year, all being well.

logo.jpg

Very cool!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 7/22/2023 at 1:29 PM, Morgan said:

Methinks I see drop-keel slots 🤔

Yeah, I'm a bit slow picking up on that and the size of the model on the cutting matt, @chris watton if it's in your favourite 1/64th scale I estimate it makes her under 100ft. long?  

Only thing in the RMG plans I have seen vaguely like this is for an unnamed 75ft Schooner-rigged gun Vessel with sliding keels.  But then in post #93 through's me off the scent when you say it is Bristol! 😖 😆

My 'Future Projects' Folder, what I would very much like to do for main kits before I die. (not included are smaller subjects) - all 64th

Amazon (32 - 1770's)

Amphion (32 - Hoste's command)

Phoebe (36 - 1790's)

Arethusa (38 - 1780's)

Imperieuse (38 - Ex Spanish Medea, Cochrane's command after Speedy)

Bonne Citoyenne (20 - Influential captured French large flush deck corvette)

Royal Oak (70 - 1740's)

Centurion (60 - Anson's)

Bellona (74)

Spartiate (very large 74 captured at the Nile)

Foudroyantt (80)

Royal George (100 - 1750's)

Calendonia (120 - 1800's - if only to see the look on my wife's face when building up the hull on the dining room table...)

Restoration warship (1670-1690)

Constitution (US)

If I live to do even half of that list, I shall be somewhat happy.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

1 minute ago, AJohnson said:

Yeah, I'm a bit slow picking up on that and the size of the model on the cutting matt, @chris watton if it's in your favourite 1/64th scale I estimate it makes her under 100ft. long?  

Only thing in the RMG plans I have seen vaguely like this is for an unnamed 75ft Schooner-rigged gun Vessel with sliding keels.  But then in post #93 through's me off the scent when you say it is Bristol! 😖 😆

It is actually an Acute Class gun brig of 1797, and with a deck length of 75 feet, just a few feet shorter than Speedy. The forward part of the deck actually droops down to accomodate the two large 24 pounder chasers.

logo.jpg

19 minutes ago, chris watton said:

My 'Future Projects' Folder, what I would very much like to do for main kits before I die. (not included are smaller subjects) - all 64th

Oh My!  Chris, if you do your best to live long enough to design them, we shall do our best to live long enough to build them!  🤣 

That list is more than a life times work for many of us "slow coaches"! 👼

On 8/2/2023 at 4:55 AM, chris watton said:

Constitution (US)

I've heard you often say that you prefer to develop models that haven't been produced before by other companies so I'm thrilled to see the Connie on your list. I've always felt that there would be an enthusiastic market for some of the more famous models, like the Connie and others, that have been designed with the kind of modern techniques and instructions that you have developed at Vanguard. I hope you'll place the Connie high on your "to do list" and we'll see her sooner that later especially for those of us who are getting long in the tooth.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 8/2/2023 at 1:55 PM, chris watton said:

Amazon (32 - 1770's)

Amphion (32 - Hoste's command)

Phoebe (36 - 1790's)

Arethusa (38 - 1780's)

Imperieuse (38 - Ex Spanish Medea, Cochrane's command after Speedy)

Bonne Citoyenne (20 - Influential captured French large flush deck corvette)

Royal Oak (70 - 1740's)

Centurion (60 - Anson's)

Bellona (74)

Spartiate (very large 74 captured at the Nile)

Foudroyantt (80)

Royal George (100 - 1750's)

Calendonia (120 - 1800's - if only to see the look on my wife's face when building up the hull on the dining room table...)

Restoration warship (1670-1690)

Constitution (US)

Royal George would be the “flagship” of your productline. I’ll be the first to buy. What a nice alternative to all the HMS Victory buildlogs that would be. It would be a huge ammount of work to design and produce I guess…

a nice list for sure you have!

20 minutes ago, Katsumoto said:

Royal George would be the “flagship” of your productline. I’ll be the first to buy. What a nice alternative to all the HMS Victory buildlogs that would be. It would be a huge ammount of work to design and produce I guess…

a nice list for sure you have!

Yes, Royal George was one of the first I chose when compiling my first 'To Do' list back in 2019, and has always been earmarked for the 'Flagship' of the range. But it will be a 2 year development, and I have to consider where and how to compromise so the end kit cost isn't too crazy. Pointless spending years on development and buying expensive materials if the end result is something people cannot afford....

logo.jpg

11 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Yes, Royal George was one of the first I chose when compiling my first 'To Do' list back in 2019, and has always been earmarked for the 'Flagship' of the range. But it will be a 2 year development, and I have to consider where and how to compromise so the end kit cost isn't too crazy. Pointless spending years on development and buying expensive materials if the end result is something people cannot afford....

You will come up with the knowlegde and wisdom to manage a project like RG and it will be a kit many of us will be patiently waiting in line when it hit the shelves in the store. I guess that @James H would want to build the prototype for sure…

Thanks for your reply! 🙂

Royal George would be really neat!

Calendonia, a 120, would be awesome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 8/2/2023 at 6:55 AM, chris watton said:

My 'Future Projects' Folder,

Very cool list! Good to see the Imperieuse on there, the combination of a Spanish hull and British fittings and arrangements sounds like an interesting combination.

You mentioned that the list didn't include smaller kits. Any plans for more fishing vessels? The Nisha is on my wish list, although it will have to wait until after a move...

4 hours ago, JacquesCousteau said:

Very cool list! Good to see the Imperieuse on there, the combination of a Spanish hull and British fittings and arrangements sounds like an interesting combination.

You mentioned that the list didn't include smaller kits. Any plans for more fishing vessels? The Nisha is on my wish list, although it will have to wait until after a move...

I think that 6 fishing boats is already enough for my range. If I did more, they would need to be very different and perhaps non UK. I would like to do a kit for under £100 at some point, though.

I am wondering if there's be any interest in the colonial merchantman Susan Constant?

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

I am wondering if there's be any interest in the colonial merchantman Susan Constant?

I don't wish to derail this topic and turn it into another endless "everybody's VM wish list" discussion, but I will make the following general observations: (1) While there may not be a kit of Susan Constant available, there is already a decent number of kits for small galleons (or similar) on the market. (2) If you do ever decide to go non-UK, bear in mind that US East Coast types are already well-represented by Model Shipways, BlueJacket, and Wye River Models. (3) On the other hand, there is nearly a complete lack of US West Coast types on the market.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I’ll wait to be surprised by Surprise 😊 I used to check the Jotika website frequently to check for progress on their Surprise until it became clear it had been abandoned, both the website and the model in progress.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I want to build at least one 1st rate ship before I die.  Royal George would be one I would wait for.  If Chris did produce the Royal George, I would abandon the dream to building the Victory.  Chris's model designs and production techniques have spoiled me for quality, and I do not want to go to another manufacturer. 

regards

Malcolm     

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

On 8/1/2023 at 8:24 PM, chris watton said:

Yes :)

Thank goodness!  And on your full list, delighted to see Anson's Centurion.

If you ever tire of 1:64 and 17/18/19th C warships, I'd give a vote for some of the 19th C packets, clippers and windjammers.  I was at a market in Hobart Tas, last Feb, and a fellow, name of Brian Stafford, had a stall selling his self-published The Great Windships - very interesting books on the development of merchant sailing ships.  Prompted me to re-read The Last Grain Race by Eric Newby.  Newby sailed in, and Stafford extols, the windjammers - the last important commercial sailing ships - fantastic vessels.  But they were big.  Up to 7 masts and over 100 m in length (probably excluding  the bowsprit).  So that's 1.5-2 m at 1:64.

But anyway, Suprise and Centurion will do me for a while.  And that's after Alert.  Whose build log I must now start.