Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

(the Admiral's health) got in the way.  The frame extensions have been removed and she's starting to look more like a frigate

Gee, that's some health problem!

Looking good Mark. Sorry to hear of Janet's health issues - best wishes to you both for improvement there.

Now she looks like a proper frigate! Hope all is well and getting better for your Admiral.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Glad to hear your Admiral is much better and you are now both enjoying life.  A good update too Mark; she really looks good without those extensions.  So what is the verdict; to hahn or not to Hahn again?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

she looks awesome  sitting right side up  :)   well done Mark!   glad to hear Janet's getting better  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking great Mark and all the best for Janet.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello Mark,

I'm glad you got rid of the aircraft carier, a period ship is so much nicer don't you think!? She really does you proud, Mark. The wood looks marvelous and she stands very proud in her cradle.

Give my best wishes to Janet. 2017 should have started a lot better for her!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you for the visits, the "likes" and the comments.   

Not an update, just some feedback on comments and questions..

Gee, that's some health problem!

Uh... rats.   I really need a proofreader I guess before hitting "post".  :D  :D  :D

Glad to hear your Admiral is much better and you are now both enjoying life.  A good update too Mark; she really looks good without those extensions.  So what is the verdict; to hahn or not to Hahn again?

cheers

Pat

Good question on the Hahn style.  I have no answer at this moment.  Both have their disadvantages and advantages.  Getting to the interior is a problem for me with the Hahn method.  Now that the forest is gone, I see some things that need to be fixed on the interior. 

G'day Mark, been awhile since I visited, sorry to hear about Janet but glad to hear things are getting better, pass on our regards to Janet.

Licorne is looking great and congratulations on freeing her from the jig, Did you use one of those new miniature chain saws, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , and the decision to use a cradle is a wise one, much more secure, happy modelling for 2017,

Miniature chain saw? I wish.  I used a combination of jewelers saw and X-Acto saws.  

Hello Mark,

I'm glad you got rid of the aircraft carier, a period ship is so much nicer don't you think!? She really does you proud, Mark. The wood looks marvelous and she stands very proud in her cradle.

Give my best wishes to Janet. 2017 should have started a lot better for her!

Cheers

I'm happy also.  The aircraft carrier look got to me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Vossiewulf, are you British (or Australian)? I work in both British and American English; "notice" would be the more common construction in American English, while "note" would be preferred in British English.

Let's not veer Mark's thread too far into the linguistic abyss, though (I know, I started it).

Catching up Mark, so nice to see the ship without the large building plate. you have done a super job so far and i look forward to the rest.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Just beautiful! It's all I have to say...! Congratulations! She's coming along really fine!

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/15003-royal-louis-by-fmartins-multi-media/ 

... let's see if it survives my poor hands... 

Vossiewulf, are you British (or Australian)? I work in both British and American English; "notice" would be the more common construction in American English, while "note" would be preferred in British English.

Let's not veer Mark's thread too far into the linguistic abyss, though (I know, I started it).

I'm American but have spent so much time reading English authors and watching British TV that my language constructs frequently suggest British rather than American English. Considering the quality of the average American speaker, I generally consider that a compliment :)

Work involves a fair amount of international conference calls, mostly to Singapore and India but Australia/New Zealand and Belfast, and I have to tell you that I've now heard the single worst English that is possible. It's a sound that could make Beethoven deaf. Again. George Bernard Shaw heard two words and died of a ruptured aneurysm. One of my staff gnawed off her own leg to escape the conference room: a Chinese immigrant, with a very heavy Mandarin accent, developing a VERY strong Australian accent.

You know how two normal things can converge to create something so horrifying that Medusa and all of the snake heads scream in unison and run away shrieking like four year olds? Yeah well this is it. The UN really needs to step in to prevent any further immigration either way, one has to assume the Australian learning Mandarin has to be just as bad, if not worse.

Back to the more important discussion of improving Admiral health.. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments and the "likes".

Life and other things continues to take my shipyard time.....   

So.. some replies first, update next.

Mark, don't feel bad: I'm an editor and so tend to notice (and enjoy) quirks of language.

Eric,

I was tech writer for 25 years in a previous life (the one before I went into IT work)...  I still get caught on such stuff.

I'm American but have spent so much time reading English authors and watching British TV that my language constructs frequently suggest British rather than American English. Considering the quality of the average American speaker, I generally consider that a compliment :)

I did some manuals in my previous life for equipment used by the Brits.  I had to learn a whole new language for them.  I believe (and am probably wrong) that it was Winston Churchill who said "We're two countries, separated by a common language".   ;)

After sorting out how the deck was planked by referencing other French frigates as much as I could, used the cross-section drawing as my baseline.  Licorne is definitely an oddball in this regard.  The references show the traditional planking that follows the waterway and tapers.  Some use nibbing at the bow, some use hook scarfs.  Others... nada.  Towards the stern... there's where I ran into headaches.  Some use drop planks, some don't.  Some have parquet floors in the great cabin.  Some don't.  

So.. decision time. I went with the spirit of the beast. No drop planks, no scarfs or nibbing at the bow,  There's two wide planks thicker than the rest at the waterway.. much like binding strakes.  Then theres 3 stakes of "normal planks", a very wide binding strake, and 5 "normal planks.  None of the works showed hook scarfs in the binding strakes like the English used.. So.. I'm going with what I have.

I began by doing a reference drawing (actually reworking what I had done already) with actual dimensions to account for errors in building with respect to width of the area to be planked and beam placement.  I then added tic marks along the centerline of each beam for the plankwidth starting at the 0 station line (dead flat, widest point) and scaled them to both the stern and the bow.  Next came drawing in the planks.   The cutting part was the easy part and am now installing the aft planking first.

The first picture shows the result of this work in the great cabin aft of the mizzen mast.  The drawings and cuttings were tweaked to account for the kerf of the laser.  Also, the planking that showing is actually the bottom side of the sheet.  Given the way the kerf is, this provided a natural beveling.  I lightly sanded the char but didn't remove all of it as a) there's little glue used on the edge of the plank and   B) it gives a nice (to my eye) simulation of caulking. There's also another plank laying on the beams ready for installation.

post-76-0-33906000-1486872461_thumb.jpg

The second photo merely shows the planks cut and still held in place in the sheet stock.  These planks are from where the existing planking is to the waterway.  I left a bit of extra meat on the outside plank goes by the waterway for fitting.

post-76-0-69936100-1486872027_thumb.jpg

I'm having a lot of fun with this once I figure out what needs to be done.  The "how" is just as important as the "what" in this case.  Frustrating at times, but very satisfying when it comes together.

As always, feel free to point out errors, misadventures, etc.  This is pretty much virgin territory for me...

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark -

A very nice example of how to merge modern technology and techniques with traditional building methods.  You are on the laser cutting edge of this and I am looking forward to your future postings of your thoughts on how it all comes together.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mark -

A very nice example of how to merge modern technology and techniques with traditional building methods.  You are on the laser cutting edge of this and I am looking forward to your future postings of your thoughts on how it all comes together.

Dan

Thanks Dan.  I'm looking forward to it also.  Worse case is that rip up the deck and cut the planks using a scroll saw...  a bit tedious to say the least but doable.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: