Fantastic, I guess the sky is the limit now you have nailed the 3d printer.  I struggle to get my ink printer synced to my computer!! 

I'm not suggesting for a minute that you consider a Sovereign of the Seas type model, but would 3d printer technology make such an undertaking possible (or practical)?   

Looking forward to the release of the two new fishing boats. They both look particularly attractive.  

regards

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

I would like to do a Restoration warship at some point, but the castings isn't the problem, it's getting the carvings done that is, and they would be very expensive to commission. But one day, I will, I have one in mind. (not Sovereign, though, that's a little too OTT for my mellowing taste)

In the meantime, I have just booked the pick up for the Nisha and Erycina printed colour boxes, so should receive these Wednesday or Thursday, and kits go on sale Friday.

I wasn't sure these boxes would be ready in time, so I was very pleased to learn they are just awaiting picking up!

Erycina Box Art.jpg

Nisha Box Art.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Busy day! New laser machine arrived earlier (LaserPro Laser Engraving Machine Spirit GLS), and it's quite a bit larger than my trusty workhorse. I ordered it from the same company, as the software is identical. But the bed size is a lot larger. My Mercury 3 laser bed is 635x459mm, this one is 960x610mm. It is a big investment, but very necessary if I want to grow the business. 

The workshop is still a work in progress, as I am waiting for the wiring to be added for the electrics (lighting and plug sockets), and the doors will be changed to insulated roller doors. But it has had a brand new roof, floor levelled and a partition wall added, so this room is narrower than the other side.

Bigger kits can now be developed!

Laser room 1.jpg

Laser room 2.jpg

Laser room 3.jpg

Laser room 4.jpg

logo.jpg

Chris,

Nice set-up! Is the orange flash drive sending prototype files at 18.02 to the BIG GCC for the HMS Bristol?🤫

Inquiring minds need to know!

Cheers,

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Nice looking shop! Don’t even want to know what that set you back... nice machine though. So will it cut up to 960x610 or is that just the box size?

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Are you teasing with the plans pinned to the wall? Is that a three decker on the far left?

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

6 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

Chris,

Nice set-up! Is the orange flash drive sending prototype files at 18.02 to the BIG GCC for the HMS Bristol?🤫

Inquiring minds need to know!

Cheers,

Ron

Hey Ron :) Sadly no, the little flash drive contained all the drivers and software for the new machine - but the external HDD also attached has all my files!

1 minute ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Nice looking shop! Don’t even want to know what that set you back... nice machine though. So will it cut up to 960x610 or is that just the box size?

That is the bed size (actual machine a lot larger), so it could cut up to 960 x610. However, more realistically, I will be cutting materials that are 800x600mm in size. Up until now, I have been restricted to a max material size of 600x400mm, which is fine for all kits I have done thus far.

logo.jpg

5 minutes ago, Craigie65 said:

Are you teasing with the plans pinned to the wall? Is that a three decker on the far left?

That is Royal George. I have a lot of plan sets I bought from the NMM, for future development purposes. Once scanned, they are often just left in their tubes forever. The Royal George plan is there because it is gorgeous, and I like to look at it :)

The other two plans are future developments, with the one being very near future..

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

That is Royal George. I have a lot of plan sets I bought from the NMM, for future development purposes. Once scanned, they are often just left in their tubes forever. The Royal George plan is there because it is gorgeous, and I like to look at it :)

The other two plans are future developments, with the one being very near future..

One of the other sets of prints, the frigates, looks sort of Indefatigable style to me if I’m not mistaken.

Gary

If you were nearer i would come and complete the electrical install for you.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

One of the other sets of prints, the frigates, looks sort of Indefatigable style to me if I’m not mistaken.

Gary

It sort of is! Development starts soon.

4 minutes ago, Thunder said:

If you were nearer i would come and complete the electrical install for you.

Trying to get electricians has been a complete nightmare, no one seems to want the work!

logo.jpg

11 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Well that’s 2022 planned: build two fishing boats and save for a big frigate.  Now how to tell the Admiral that DIANA is going in the stash……

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

Trying to get electricians has been a complete nightmare, no one seems to want the work!

Strange looks like an easy, straight forward job, as was your garage assume consumer unit is handy. I've had the same problem with roofers and plumbers. My best friend, who was a plumber and we worked together, died early during the first lock down, finding someone since has been a nightmare.

Current Build(s):

Completed Builds:

Finding trades people the last year or so has been a nightmare.   One of my local friends is pulling his hair out over it.   We've talked about the both of us doing what he wants but then getting it inspected and approved is a big problem as the inspectors and codes insist on licenses for doing any plumbing or electrical.  It's not that there's a shortage of them but that they are all so busy re-working houses that been bought by new owners.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Chris,

I’m super keen on building the Nisha and would like to do it with sails.

As I am on the opposite side of the planet and shipping is niggly am I better off to wait till they are in stock?

Or do I just buy one on Friday and get the sails sent out at a later date?

Been following all your builds with great interest and am looking forward to building one of you ships. 

Thanks

Be careful of that heater plugged into the power strip! My friends had the cord to their's catch fire 2 weeks ago! Thankfully they caught it in time.

7 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Finding trades people the last year or so has been a nightmare.   One of my local friends is pulling his hair out over it.   We've talked about the both of us doing what he wants but then getting it inspected and approved is a big problem as the inspectors and codes insist on licenses for doing any plumbing or electrical.  It's not that there's a shortage of them but that they are all so busy re-working houses that been bought by new owners.  

I only gave my part P up recently as too busy as Electrical Engineer for Nestle. Had my own business on days off. You can get signed off by local council, need to inform before start and they will inspect at first fix and then at end of works. The trouble is electricians are getting big money for contracts so don't want the smaller jobs.

Current Build(s):

Completed Builds:

5 hours ago, Jonny 007 said:

Hi Chris,

I’m super keen on building the Nisha and would like to do it with sails.

As I am on the opposite side of the planet and shipping is niggly am I better off to wait till they are in stock?

Or do I just buy one on Friday and get the sails sent out at a later date?

Been following all your builds with great interest and am looking forward to building one of you ships. 

Thanks

All sail sets ordered with the new kits will be sent as soon as I receive. I did think I ordered them far enough ahead that I would have them by now, but alas....

logo.jpg

On 11/30/2021 at 12:19 AM, mtaylor said:

There is an influx of trades People in other parts of Europe now tho, a lot of those who were working in the UK and Now cant get a work permit are getting back to the mainland 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

The main reason there is no trades in the UK, other than those due to retire, is that no one has been going into apprenticeships. For the last three generations parents have pushed everyone to have a degree. To make it worse they made the apprenticeships easier so that those who could not get it at uni could do it. Most of our young trades persons are lacking in knowledge. The colleges can't train them so us, older Engineers, are having to do it in house.

Current Build(s):

Completed Builds:

Nisha and Erycina are now in stock:

Nisha – Brixham ‘Mumble Bee’ – VANGUARD MODELS

Erycina – Plymouth Trawler – VANGUARD MODELS

I waited until I have all the kit ingredients for the kits here with me, but optional pre made sail sets are still to come.

logo.jpg

I know Billings do a sailing Thames barge, that was my first ever wooden kit purchase!

I will have another two fishing related kits out after these, and that will be it for this line for a very good while.

Here are the new boxes, fully printed box tops for these.

new boxes 2.jpg

logo.jpg