HMS Victory by James H - Amati - 1:64

Judging by the size, when you add the bowsprit etc. you will need a building "island"to work from, as well as a high chair, long arms and nerves of steel. Sincerely, the best of luck.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Some people have asked me what the weight of this kit is.

Ok, remember that this isn't a final product, and the Lady Nelson was also in the box. But, offset that against the lack of cast cannon and the plans sent separately, plus the shortage of lime plank, then I think we can take a semi-educated guess. 

The weight of this box was listed with DHL as 20kg. I think that is roughly the weight....maybe minus 2 or 3 kg for proper boxing etc. 

3 minutes ago, James H said:

The weight of this box was listed with DHL as 20kg.

Holy cow! 😲

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

25 minutes ago, James H said:

Some people have asked me what the weight of this kit is.

Ok, remember that this isn't a final product, and the Lady Nelson was also in the box. But, offset that against the lack of cast cannon and the plans sent separately, plus the shortage of lime plank, then I think we can take a semi-educated guess. 

The weight of this box was listed with DHL as 20kg. I think that is roughly the weight....maybe minus 2 or 3 kg for proper boxing etc. 

Going to need a bigger bench!

Ok, time for some studio photos for the eventual instructions. 

I'd already jumped the gun a little when I posted a dry-fit of everything, but these pictures are far clearer. Work started on the LARGE hull cradle as that's the order I'm doing this for Amati. This is constructed of 6mm MDF, as per the bulkheads and keel of Victory. This thing pushes together and is locked together with small keys. I use Titebond for glue. Before work started, I spent a day numbering the parts on the various sheets in the kit. Many parts look the same, but are definitely not. This isn't a kit where you want to get stuff mixed up.

By the way, all photos will be properly annotated with parts numbers in the manuals.

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.30.58.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.31.15.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.31.35.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.31.59.jpg

The size of the model calls for the keel to be supplied in halves. Instead of just gluing the keel together, everything is also reinforced. A lock and key mechanism is also supplied for this. I glued the keel halves together first and left them to throughly dry. After this, a reinforcement plate was glued to one side and then two lock pieces slotted through this, followed by a reinforcement plate on the other side. Two keys were then slotted through the locks and glued into position.

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.32.27.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.32.43.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.32.58.jpg

The original instructions say to drop the bulkheads into position, followed by the orlop, and then apply (paint) glue around the joints. Now, that would normally be my own way of working too, but my glues set very quickly. I didn't want to screw this up, so I've ordered some Titebond Extend to help. This aliphatic resin glue takes up to 24hrs to fully cure and lets the modeller work for quite a while before it starts to set. In the absence of that at the moment, I'll show you the basic assembly.

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.33.14.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.33.26.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.33.38.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.33.50.jpg

With the glue (when it gets here) on the bulkheads, the two-piece orlop is then dropped into place. these sizeable chunks add a lot to the hull rigidity and will allow me to move things later when I start to fair the hull.

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.34.06.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.34.19.jpg

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-15.34.32.jpg

Next time, I'll partially plank the orlop, add a few barrels and get ready to fit the grating frames. The sheets I got from Italy were cut in the wrong material, so I'm now waiting for the replacements to be sent. 

love the locking of the pieces, would that interfere with a rabbit rebate

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

39 minutes ago, James H said:

The original instructions say to drop the bulkheads into position, followed by the orlop, and then apply (paint) glue around the joints. Now, that would normally be my own way of working too, but my glues set very quickly. I didn't want to screw this up, so I've ordered some Titebond Extend to help. This aliphatic resin glue takes up to 24hrs to fully cure and lets the modeller work for quite a while before it starts to set.

Once I get a bulkhead perfectly squared up and set I'd like use a glue that gives me a little wiggle room but sets up quickly enough that nothing moves. I can then move on to the next bulkhead without waiting a long time. Is there something about the size of this model that makes getting the bulkheads set properly that requires you to use Titebond Extend instead of regular Titebond or a similar PVA glue? 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

5 minutes ago, BobG said:

Once I get a bulkhead perfectly squared up and set I'd like use a glue that gives me a little wiggle room but sets up quickly enough that nothing moves. I can then move on to the next bulkhead without waiting a long time. Is there something about the size of this model that makes getting the bulkheads set properly that requires you to use Titebond Extend instead of regular Titebond or a similar PVA glue? 

Just that my regular glue sets very quickly...minutes. That stuff is Titebond Original and Evo-Stik PVA.

The orlop is good enough to line everything up properly, but with so many bulkheads and large glue faces, I want the glue to be workable when I drop those deck sections into place. I didn't want to lift the whole lot up with 17 loose bulkheads and heavy orlop, to try and paint glue into the joint areas. This is a very large hull.

2 minutes ago, mugje said:

I had that glueing issue...that it dry's so fast already with the Pegasus, so I used also a wood glue that takes longer to dry. I can imagine with this model, you want indeed a slow drying glue. A lot of bulkheads in this design again, looks really good!

I'm also not a very disciplined builder, so the extra time helps with my approach. 

That false deck does look very  well fitted   - should make a huge difference  keeping everything in lign   - looking good.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

10 minutes ago, Strata said:

That joint between two halves of false keel looks really nice. Does it still leave some room for error or is it so good that you can't get a bent frame?

What I did was lay the keel halves out on my bench, which is kitchen worktop stuff and perfectly flat (you could use a glass sheet if you weren't sure about the bench being flat). I then glued the parts together with a straight edge to absolutely make sure they were even, and sat a weight on top of joint for extra insurance. Also remember that the MDF is perfectly straight too. When that glue set, I added the reinforcement plates, locking parts and keys.

You're extremely unlikely to get a bent frame or create any error. Those parts slot together very nicely and the whole joint was absolutely rigid when done.

I noticed very little - if any- char removal. Are the bulkheads fitting well and square without intervention?   I can never figure out if char removal is a rule-of-thumb or just a common, though perhaps unnecessary, step.   

Thanks for sharing, as usual your photography is unmatched. 

43 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

char removal

He hasn’t faired the hull yet, I imagine most of it will disappear then. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

What about at the false keel / bulkhead junctions?  I've read arguments both for and against cleaning the char but it all seems down to individual preference.  I wonder if the material makes a difference (wood v. MDF)?

4 minutes ago, ouizel said:

What about at the false keel / bulkhead junctions

I'm sure there are lots of opinions. Personally I've never cleaned the char from those. The glue will hold with the char there, it's somewhat a myth that it won't. I'd be more concerned about altering the fit if I sanded the bulkheads where they fit to the frame. You really want a tight fit. Sometimes you might have to sand a little to get that fit, but not to remove the char.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

13 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

The glue will hold with the char there, it's somewhat a myth that it won't.

I ran a small test once using PVA on two pieces of wood with and without char. After letting the glue dry, I tried to break the joints apart by hand and they were both very strong. I don't worry about gluing joints with char on them anymore. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

4 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Yes, I actually meant at the joints.  

3 hours ago, ouizel said:

What about at the false keel / bulkhead junctions?  I've read arguments both for and against cleaning the char but it all seems down to individual preference.  I wonder if the material makes a difference (wood v. MDF)?

This is what I meant, and should have been more specific.   I, too, have read the arguments and ultimately decided it comes down to the precision of the laser cutting and the fit. 

3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I'm sure there are lots of opinions. Personally I've never cleaned the char from those. The glue will hold with the char there, it's somewhat a myth that it won't. I'd be more concerned about altering the fit if I sanded the bulkheads where they fit to the frame. You really want a tight fit. Sometimes you might have to sand a little to get that fit, but not to remove the char.

Ive never worried about the glue personally, more about that slight misalignment from recto/verso which might have an ill effect on squaring of the bulkheads.   I certainly had builds where sanding was required otherwise the bulkhead absolutely would not square.   Of course, Ive had some that were cut far wide and needed shimming to get a tight fit.   So I guess you do what you need, when you need to...  

Ultimately my question was more about James' approach (which he answered).   I see some folks go through and sand every last bit of char before assembly and turn out wonderful models and I'm always hunting down those steps which separate their wonderful models and my middling attempts :).     Was just curious how serious people are about that char, har har!   

Thanks James, Ill stop hijacking your build log now!