1930 BENTLEY 4.5 LITRE by MadDogMcQ - AIRFIX 1:12th Scale

hey.....I heard that there wuz a guy with no talent build'in a Bentley.  I see they were blow'in smoke up my whazoo!  :D   sweet look'in model so far MD..........I see your brushing up on alternating detail {metal & canvas}.  good to see you dove in with both feet......hope you enjoy your newfound past time :)    look'in forward in seeing the finished model ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hahaha thanks Popeye 😄 😄 😄 

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

Good buy on the manual, Tom.   Can't have too many books for car models, aircraft manuals, or ships.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I made the kit back in the 70's and like all my models, not very well either, but saw a on another site recently, doing wire wheels

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

......saw a on another site recently, doing wire wheels

That was amazing!!! What a great idea, thanks Kevin.

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

As much as I would have liked to carry on with this kit, unfortunately I had to put it away for a few days because 'real life' got in the way. My wife bought me a much bigger kit in the form of two double wardrobes 😂

New wardrobes does, of course, mean new bedroom. Stripping everything out, painting (two coats), new fittings, and then finally building these huge, heavy parts. No fun at all - just four days of blood (literally loads of finger-cuts), sweat and some tears 😂

Anyway, once I'd completed that little task, it's time to declutter the spare room which has become a bit of a rubbish tip these last few months. The 'plus side' of all this is that  I will be laying claim to a corner of the spare room as a corner for model-building!

bedroom1.jpg

bedroom2.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

I'm calling this finished!  To be honest, I just wanted to rattle it off in the end so that I can start my Vaporetto build. This kit has made me realise that I'm not really a plastic kit modeller. I nearly ordered a couple of 1:24 scale aircraft the other day - I'm glad I didn't now. I made quite a few mistakes throughout the build and even forgot how damaging the glue itself can be. And let's not even talk about those damned front fenders!!!! 🤬

Anyway, here she is...

12092020-01.jpg

12092020-02.jpg

12092020-03.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

well done, she looks fantastic, on what is a old kit, im surprised there is not a retooled version by now

Congratulations 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Congratulations on getting the car, (and the bedroom) done. I wish you could come over here a do a few of my "Honey Does" as well. Have you picked out a place to display this racing marvel?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, MadDogMcQ said:

This kit has made me realise that I'm not really a plastic kit modeller

Yeah cos you made such a poor job of it...🙄😋

Just kidding superb job! Would like to see what you think you are good at!

Cheers, Nick

You have done a fine job of her  - remember its a very old kit and it takes talent to do what you did.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

She looks right smart Tom, you should be proper proud 😁😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

now let me get this straight..............you lead us into the bedroom........so you can finish the kit and spring it on us?!?!?!  my friend......with as long as you took,  you'd have done better to show us to the refrigerator!  ......a fella gets hungry waiting for you whippersnappers ta git your butt in gear  ;) 

but really........you did a splendid job!!   I don't see anything wrong with the fenders.........must have been your imagination  ;)   the only thing I see,  is that you didn't rough up the tread on the tires.   the finish looks awesome.......better than what I can do ;) ........I hope one day,  I can get it right!  now.......don't go and put it in that bedroom of yours...........this one deserves to be put out in a proper place........where it can be seen!  there is no doubt that you couldn't turn out another beauty, no matter what medium you chose..........I'll have to look up what that V thing is your talk'in about,  so I'll know where your next log will be  ;)    great looking Bentley...congratz and very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

What Denis said about the bedroom versus kitchen... I'm still rolling on the floor with laughter.  

From where I sit, it quite well done.  Like many things, we sometimes need a few under our belts to be comfortable doing them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everyone, you're very generous with your comments. I've put this on a bookshelf in the conservatory and I've put the new boat kit on the build table 🙂 

Popeye - If you thought that was slow, don't bother following my "V" boat build 😂🤣😂. Seriously though, thanks for your comments 🙂

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:17 AM, MadDogMcQ said:

This kit has made me realise that I'm not really a plastic kit modeller.

I'll give you a clue to what it tells us looking on....

Forget the qualifier, you ARE a modeler is what it tells me, whatever medium you work in you produce quality..... that is what we all strive for and you have it....

Beautiful Job.....

Well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

That's incredibly kind of you EG. Thank you!

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

as anyone will attest..........it is not a race  ;)     to rush through a build like this would have been disastrous.  the level of detail you've put into this model would have suffered greatly.  I found your Venice passenger ship log........very nice subject!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really nice job!  If you don't think you're a plastic modeler after turning out that beauty, there's no hope for me.  All kidding aside, excellent build!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

second that one Mike  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I posted pix of this model on Facebook and got over 500 likes  in one day!!! It's now over 600. Beggars belief!!

bentleylikes.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

I'm not surprised - looks professional, and a testament to your skills.  Very nice!  You're setting the bar awfully high for me when I get to mine. 😐

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

7 hours ago, MadDogMcQ said:

Beggars belief!!

Don’t know why you’d say that Tom. You did an excellent job on this model - what’s not to like! 😊

• 2 weeks later...

With all the positive comments and encouragement that I received, I was thinking that it might be worth doing another one of these at some point in the future and use the knowledge of the model to do something much more detailed (and not make as many cock-ups, LOL). I've now got a lot more in terms of resource-materials and have seen other people's builds.

Can't wait to  see Landlubber Mike start his - I just KNOW it's going to be amazing!

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

I've just found this and I have to agree it looks great. I always loved this car and wanted to build the model but never did.

On a side note, I was driving home from Sydney to Orange years ago in my Defender and there was a big hill infront of me, the west bound climb out of Hartley for the locals, there is a side road that comes in at the foot of the hill and being infront in the Defender I really didn't want anyone to pull out of the side road and slow me down or I'd have been lucky to crest the hill at 70kmh in 3rd. I saw a vintage car about to pull out and thought NOOOOOOOOOOOO, then I recognised the profile. It was one of these Bentleys, well he pulled out and headed up the hill and I never saw him again. He left me for dead! I got over the hill at 90kmh in 4th.

Kind of like the "Little Nash Rambler" song.:D 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I think you should Tom.........obviously,  you have untapped talent ;)    flaunt it!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: