Sloop Speedwell 1752 by Chuck - Ketch Rigged Sloop - POF - prototype build

Beautifully done Chuck. It might be interesting to show folks why using the sheer plan without expansion does not work due to curvature of the hull.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

1 hour ago, dvm27 said:

Chuck. It might be interesting to show folks why using the sheer plan without expansion does not work

Yes that wont work at all.  I will absolutely do so.  Once I put the final touches on the template I will print both and show them.

I have somehow missed this delightful build Chuck; looks great and up to your usual very high standard.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Your attention to the run of plank at the bow is so important; so many models have the planking rise too high at the extreme bow with the result looking less than graceful. I hope your kit builders take the same care!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Work continues.   Started on the aft cant frames.

The first thing that needed to be done was to add the aft cant frame jig.  This is added the exact same way as the fore cant frame jig.  Glue the small laser cut square under the last cross beam.   Then add the jig.  The jig like all the cross bars are not glued.  They are just taped together.  That works very well.

Make sure to line up the jig with your center line thread.  You have the etched reference lines on the cross jigs to do so.   But you will notice I also added the small cant frame strip for our first cant frame.   That is aft cant frame 24. It is the last slot in the jig.  You will need to line up the forward edge with the same mark on your base board plan.  Lining up this jig so your cant frames are even on both sides is very important.  As is making sure all your square frames were perpendicular to the keel and the same height etc, and all follow the center line.  

If for any reason you need to tweak this jig or any of the others, I have left some wiggle room.  Do that before taping.  In fact,  if I didnt mention this little tip before,  you can just add a toothpick as a shim on one side to adjust the aft jig until l you are back on the center line and your cant frames all line up with the base board plan.  This is a neat trick you can use with any of the cross bar spacers for the square frames as well.  It works really well to keep you on that center line.  I exaggerated in this photo so you can see how to adjust any of them.

aftcantjig.jpg

Lining up the strip with the baseboard plan below...

aftcantjig1.jpg

Then just like the fore cant frames are started working my forward after assembling each cant frame.  They are made in two pieces.  I have added six working my way forward.  But now I will switch directions and start working from the other end of the jig for the next six. More pictures will follow when I get that done.

Note how two laser etched lines on that last cant frame 24 face aft.   Shown in red. That is important because we will need those to line up our some pieces later.

Also not how the first aft cant frame on the jig I added,  that same number 24...you have to make sure you place it in the correct deadwood slot. 

aftcantjig3.jpg

This is what the hull looks like at the moment.  I will work on the remaining aft cant frames this weekend.  Im getting close to completing all the hull framing.  It wont be long now.

aftcantjig2.jpg

Beautiful work and a great explanation!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

2 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

Would you say that this is your most challenging kit to design?

Not really…I have been contemplating different POF design concepts for a while.  So this is just a great subject to test those concepts out on.  In fact, now that the hull framing is almost complete, it is pretty much just like any other project.

Although I have some new ideas for certain features I want to try as well as some new materials I may test on the Speedwell.  Its all about having fun with the design.  

The biggest challenge for this project will be later…when it comes time to mfg it.  There are so many parts to make.

Chuck, I get the sense that you REALLY enjoy doing this.  It's a major accomplishment to design and prove out these projects.  Kudos.

Maury

1 minute ago, Maury S said:

Chuck, I get the sense that you REALLY enjoy doing this.

Actually I do very much.   Problem solving a design concept is just as much fun for me.  Its like solving any puzzle game.   Although I dont know if folks building my designs would agree.  I think they might be uttering some words as they try and build some of it, but hopefully the results speak for themselves once its all put together.  Some of the solutions can be quite challenging.  But I think they are also great teaching tools when it comes to other projects folks might work on when similar puzzles present themselves.

We shall see when Mike and Rusty start getting into the framing of this if it all works out like it did in my head.  LOL

I find that although I probably won't build this model, your log IS an excellent instruction source.

Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Your design process is interesting to watch. It’s really cool to be part of it even if just by watching. There are so many modeling tricks coming out of your projects. You need someone to index them all. A one stop shop of tricks. If it could even be consolidated!
Steve

Just a quick update...all of the aft cant cant frames in this step have been completed.  This includes framing the sill for the aft-most port and the frames there.  Then I just completed the remaining few.  Fairing was done on both sides as well.  But I still have to add the treenails to those aft cant frames.  I will do that first before moving forward to the next step.

aftcantframes1.jpg

aftcantframes.jpg

There are still a few cant frames left but that will be done in the next step...

That will require a new jig along the top of the model for alignment and I must make the wing transom as well.

More updates to follow soon.   But its getting there.

aftcantframes2.jpg

Tune is Summertime by Louis Armstrong

Summertime

And ship building is easy

Speedwell Frames are jumpin'

And the jig, the jig is high

Oh, your Speedy’s rich

And she's good lookin'

The Winnie is now done little baby

But Don't you cry

One of these mornings

We gonna rise up singing

We gonna spread our wings

Cause Chuck is cuttin Cedar and we can take to the sky

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Next up is the Wing Transom....

This is pretty straight forward.  Especially after shaping all of those frames.  This is laser cut but still requires some shaping because of the many angles.

I removed the char from the top and bottom first before adding the provided templates.  You can see the untouched wing transom in the photo as well.  

The top template is glued on with rubber cement.  The top has the notches in it for the stern frames and quarter piece.

wingtransom.jpg

Then the bottom template.. pretty easy so far.

wingtransom1.jpg

Then use a sanding stick to sand the bevels on each side using the templates for a guide.  This will create the desired parallelogram shape. 

wingtransom2.jpg

Then the wing transom is glued into position.  Make sure your hull is vertical on the build board.  Especially the stern post.  Then use your squares to line it up with the build board plan.  Make sure the height is the same port and starboard.   Use titebond here so you have more open time to level this and get it all squared up.

wingtransom3.jpg

Then it is time to add the last "top jig".

But before doing so, I must mention that the forked bracket will be removed that holds the stern post vertical.  I know...its important.  But seriously we wont be needing it any more.  We will add the last top jig first and then remove the bracket immediately after.  This way you can still use that string to check that this last jig is aligned and centered. 

The last jig is added just like the previous two others.   Make sure its aligned down the center.   Make sure its the same height port and starboard. You can use a string like before and a square.   Once satisfied and taped in position along the puzzle piece connection, you can remove that forked bracket as shown in the photo below.

This last top jig actually comes with two rectangular holes on top.  There are two keys that slide into them which will now hold the stern post perfectly vertical.  They are "T" shaped.  Dont glue the keys in position.  They are snug tight fit.  Just push them into the holes.  See how they holds the stern post vertical?  You will want to remove the keys if you decide to turn the hull upside down to fair the hull later.   It wont sit flat with the keys in position.  But we only need to use them for a short time.

wingtransom4.jpg

Then the quarter pieces are added.  Here is the one on the starboard side completed.   I will detail how its shaped when I do the other side.  I know this may look a bit odd to some folks but its all going to workout in the end.   

There are some laser etched bevel lines etc on these pieces and I will explain how they need to be handled and in what order.

But basically,  this quarter piece sits on the end of the wing transom (a notch is there so no quess-work) and the top is angled inboard to match the sloping sides of the hull.  It sits against the edge of the "top jig"   The forward end is glued to the aft face of the last cant frame.

Note how it extends over the wing transom a bit further aft by about 5/64".   That is correct on done on purpose.   It will be important later when we do the square tuck.

Having this all done and laser cut in one piece makes it a lot easier.  The framing as you can see in the photo would have been tricky.  Just read through Greg's log to see how tricky it is.  I was initially  going to just leave this part solid but then I decided to have a little fun.  I made it look like the framing was actually there even though we are planking from the wales up anyway.

We will add the remaining cant frames (really only half frames) soon.  They fill in the bottom below this quarter piece.

When faired and planked nobody will ever know.  The hull framing is getting there!!!  Nearly complete.

wingtransom5.jpg

wingtransom6.jpg

And a snapshot of the working plan....just for clarification.

wingplan.jpg

Wow I never expected that to be one piece. Very creative!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

On 3/22/2023 at 4:19 PM, Chuck said:

Having this all done and laser cut in one piece makes it a lot easier.  The framing as you can see in the photo would have been tricky.  Just read through Greg's log to see how tricky it is.  I was initially  going to just leave this part solid but then I decided to have a little fun.  I made it look like the framing was actually there even though we are planking from the wales up anyway.

Greg is unhappy with you for turning an extremely difficult area of the model into a "fun" diversion. A lot of innocent boxwood pieces sacrificed their lives in order for me to successfully frame that area. And then there was the errant elbow strike elbow...

Seriously, brilliant work Chuck!

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

35 minutes ago, dvm27 said:

Greg is unhappy with you for turning an extremely difficult area of the model into a "fun" diversion. A lot of innocent boxwood pieces sacrificed their lives in order for me to successfully frame that area. And then there was the errant elbow strike elbow...

LOL!  I've been waiting all day for this comment!

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Chuck,

I think you are a genius.  Between you and Chris Watton, kits are light years ahead of where they were ten years ago.  Not to mention your ropewalk, innovations in the capstan kits, barrels, lanterns, etc.  If ship modeling had mass appeal, you'd be a millionaire.  (But maybe you are, with all of your blocks that all of us buy!)

Ron

Nobody is getting rich selling this stuff unfortunately...but its a living!!!

Beats sitting behind a desk though....I prefer sitting in front of a workbench,  LOL.

So the quarter pieces are not that easy Greg!!!  Ok yes they are...

Basically there are two really not so hard things you must do to this piece before you glue it on the model.

First....sand a bevel onto the inboard side.   Not the outboard side with the laser etched reference lines.....the inboard side.   If you bevel the outboard side side the piece will be ruined.

quarterpiecetaper.jpg

Then step 2.....on the outboard side you have to bevel a few parts.   The two tabs that sit against the last aft cant frame.   And then the aft side of the piece.   As shown below.

quarterpiece.jpg

Also note the reference marks for your fixed block and where the other aft cant frames will fall along the bottom edge.

Then glue it on...thats it.   The two tabs are flush with the outboard face of the cant frames.  This means you will need to fair the outboard side of the hull before you add these.  It wont work if you dont.  At least not as well.

Here are photos of both quarter pieces on the model.  They have been faired on the outboard side as well although not completely.   I will wait for those last few aft cant frames.

quarterpiece1.jpg

quarterpiece2.jpg

And I couldnt resist just test fitting the transom piece.  We wont need this for a while but if my design skills and concept didnt work for the hull framing and this didnt fit....then it would be firewood.   But lucky me it fit just perfectly.   The hull has ended up the perfect width and shape.

I can finish up the framing with confidence.  

quarterpiece3.jpg

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

But lucky me it fit just perfectly. 

I don’t think luck had much to do with it Chuck! More like a testament to your design (and build) skills.

And if you would indulge me...I forgot that I should test the fit of the transom carvings as well.   There were so many angles to hopefully get correct when developing them.   Doing the transom as one piece was the only way to do it for Speedwell as the carvings are so intertwined.   I was really nervous how everything would fit as it was very expensive to develop these.  But I am relieved to say that the master fits perfectly.  That is such a relief.  I was so stressed about that.  The curved transom as developed sits perfectly in place.  No bending needed.  The shape above the windows and their position also match really well.   

transomtest.jpg

transomtest.1.jpg

That looks Great Chuck and a huge relief as well, I’m sure. She’s coming together very nicely.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship