Mack FK Truck Tractor by FriedClams - FINISHED - Shadowbox Display in 1:87

The Great Great grandchild of the 10 ton Mack AC... And the last of the chain drive trucks with narrow panel cabs....

From this they designed and build the 10 ton Mack NO's of WWII fame... The original haul anything anywhere trucks...

Beautiful rendition my friend... She looks great...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Gary, awesome! 

In this photo the fifth wheel plate looks greased. Did you add the "grease" or did the part come that way? 

image.png.8a1ea35cb7359795aac81f82255c3849.png

Edited by Keith Black

FriedClams:

Up to this point, I have been one of the quiet followers of your fantastic work.

The quality of it has made me reluctant to ask of this:  The tires on your vehicles - Have you considered creating a flat spot on their bottoms' to give the impression they are weighted?

Very well done, Gary. I like the tires in this kill. I have several Sylvan fire truck kits and the have rubber tires with plenty of flash to remove. I like the Gallery Glass idea. Have to look them up to enhance my vehicles.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 2/9/2023 at 3:00 PM, rookie said:

I was intrigued by the powder pigments you use so I googled it

looks like something I will try on plastic models that I have on my shelf 

Hello Colin. I use pigment powders quite often and they work great, but they do have their limitations.  They will not stick to smooth surfaces without some sort of carrier.  Also, the powder is ground very fine, much finer than chalk or pastels and they are crazy messy.  Be sure to check out some of the many great YouTube videos on how to use them and the different ways in which they can be worked before you take the plunge – they are not for everyone and I know people who hate them.  Thanks for stopping and the nice words.

On 2/9/2023 at 3:03 PM, mtaylor said:

An amazing amount of detail and implied detail on the truck, Gary.

The manufacturer was able to get some very smooth and crisp details on the parts, especially considering the medium and scale. Thanks Mark.

23 hours ago, pwog said:

Gary, once again - amazing work! I love the obligatory giant glasses shots. They always remind us of the scale you’re working with. You are the master. 

Thanks for the kind words Paul.  But I'm far from a master, and I I've picked up many tips and techniques from our fellow builders here at MSW. 

Any progress on Mighty Mite?

23 hours ago, Egilman said:

The Great Great grandchild of the 10 ton Mack AC... And the last of the chain drive trucks with narrow panel cabs....

From this they designed and build the 10 ton Mack NO's of WWII fame... The original haul anything anywhere trucks...

Hello EG, and thanks. There is just something about an old Mack truck that's special. 

Here's a gentleman who restored a tandem wheel FK.  In part one he talks about the restoration.  In part two he drives it around town, but it's difficult to make out what he's saying over the engine.  A beast of a truck.

23 hours ago, Keith Black said:

In this photo the fifth wheel plate looks greased. Did you add the "grease" or did the part come that way? 

Hello Keith. Yes, I added the grease and here's a closer look at the plate.  I painted the plate acrylic flat black and added rust-colored pigments while it was still wet.  Once dry I gobbed ivory black oil paint on top.  I've not found anything that looks more like grease than black oil – after all, it is oil paint. Thanks Keith.

MFK6A-Copy.thumb.jpg.62fb88ef1b97869450693e140c8d9c22.jpg

22 hours ago, FlyingFish said:

Lovely stuff - some grease on the tow plate maybe?

Thanks for looking in and for the compliment Andy.  Do you think I need to add more grease?

22 hours ago, Charles Green said:

Up to this point, I have been one of the quiet followers of your fantastic work.

The quality of it has made me reluctant to ask of this:  The tires on your vehicles - Have you considered creating a flat spot on their bottoms' to give the impression they are weighted?

Hello Charles, thanks for following my builds and for the nice comment.  Your question is a good one and I'm glad you asked.  I should have done what you suggested and sanded a slight flat on each tire so (as you stated) it looks like the vehicle has some weight to it.  That's one of those details that is often forgotten about (like I did here) but adds to the model's realism.  I don't know what could be done with resin tires, but I've seen modelers produce very convincing sidewall bulge on injection molded tires by warming up the material and smushing it down a bit.  The wheels on this model are already glued on, but I might try dragging it across a flat piece a sandpaper and see how that goes.

6 hours ago, Canute said:

Very well done, Gary. I like the tires in this kill. I have several Sylvan fire truck kits and the have rubber tires with plenty of flash to remove. I like the Gallery Glass idea. Have to look them up to enhance my vehicles.

Hello Ken.  Yea the tires in this kit are quite good although they did require some clean up.  There was even some mold rubber stuck between the treads.  I've never made a Sylvan kit, but I see they have quite an extensive product line and I find their early/midcentury cab-over tractors tempting.  Gallery Glass is a pretty handy product and I use their Crystal Clear quite often.  What I don't like about the stuff is that it shrinks as it dries so you often have to apply it a second time to fill in where it has sunk.  And it doesn't dry hard like a clear epoxy does, more like rubber.  Useful stuff just the same and I've been using the same 2oz squeeze bottle for about 5 years.  Thanks for the comment.

Thanks to all for looking and the "likes".

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

10 minutes ago, FriedClams said:

Thanks for the kind words Paul.  But I'm far from a master, and I I've picked up many tips and techniques from our fellow builders here at MSW. 

Any progress on Mighty Mite?

Yes, I am making progress on the Mighty Mite, thanks for asking. I just haven't updated my log yet, so I'll go and do that now.

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Fellow Modelers,

After a few weeks of being sidetracked, I finally put in the time to finish this shadowbox display.

Because the main door is partially open, a surface that extends beyond the wall to the “outside” is needed.  I decided that surface would be concrete and is made of hydrocal smeared on a piece of basswood.  This extension is 7/8” wide which is all the space available between the display module and the inside of the case.

MFK7-01-Copy.thumb.jpg.780a26fe3409b852864ba89d7e3d36a5.jpg

The doorway needed two doors that swing out from the center.  I drew up what I thought looked appropriate and made them up.

MFK7-02-Copy.thumb.jpg.5aecf9f842f0d5a13159a0605f6083e9.jpg

MFK7-03-Copy.thumb.jpg.b73be1d2727b5d852e8d4d83b3d08b7e.jpg

The outside lights are white 5050 surface mount LEDs.  I started out thinking four would be enough, but then added two more and then another two.

MFK7-04-Copy.thumb.jpg.db823f61b17b7268c425df4f1a31edfc.jpg

They were mounted to a rectangle of styrene which was then bend downward over the doorway.  I lowered the lights up the point where they could almost be seen by the viewer looking out the doorway.  The two sticks of basswood were glued together at their crossing once the optimum downward bend was found.

MFK7-05-Copy.thumb.jpg.acd9264a754134f1aef387276f6dc490.jpg

The doors were positioned to minimize what could be viewed beyond the doorway. I don't want the inside of the shadowbox to be seen.

MFK7-06-Copy.thumb.jpg.242ec784c6ca8b42c0f50246e94bab54.jpg

The rear window presented some difficulties due to the background image being so close to the window.  In fact, the image is 1/8” (3mm) from the back of the window.  I boxed off the window with 1/8” basswood strips and painted the surrounding area with a silver chrome for added reflectivity.  I then positioned five 5730 LEDs around the perimeter of the window with the side LEDs pointing inward toward the center.  Back when I installed the window, I had placed a grating over it and dirtied up the glazing so the view through it would be obscured.  This didn't work and just looked muddy and grubby, so I removed both and replaced it with clean clear acetate.

MFK7-07-Copy.thumb.jpg.4f076043fcf220cdce43f27c27689e38.jpg

A background image was attached to a piece of styrene and the window box was closed up.

MFK7-08-Copy.thumb.jpg.6fa06c17c7893cdb9478205c43f8342f.jpg

I placed clips inside the box to hold the display in and to make it easier to remove for swapping out the vehicle in the future.  Also, an image was glued to the inside wall of the box outside the doorway.

MFK7-09-Copy.thumb.jpg.66195a4bdba6a0d2856f05f2e100d166.jpg

I spent considerable time balancing the lighting to get the look I was after.  Not a complete success by any stretch, but I'm satisfied with the result just the same.

The first three photos are with both interior and exterior lights on.

MFK7-10-Copy.thumb.jpg.56c3ffc3b498449a846cee34fedd188e.jpg

MFK7-11-Copy.thumb.jpg.43241e1f0396e3b743aadc7fa5fb2a4e.jpg

MFK7-12-Copy.thumb.jpg.ddfaa06d6c621711c9c9641ad0f019cb.jpg

Then the exterior lights only.

MFK7-13-Copy.thumb.jpg.42228aacc158cd38871af583dc37389d.jpg

MFK7-14-Copy.thumb.jpg.35316ffeedd4709009e8e9f54fe4adde.jpg

MFK7-15-Copy.thumb.jpg.6846f6967bac3fa3bdce224426cc15ed.jpg

The problem with having the interior lights only on, is that you can see the shadow cast by the window muntins on the background image. This is because the image is so close.  My other displays don't have this problem because the images are set back much further.

MFK7-16-Copy.thumb.jpg.ffec1b0c17aabd99f869e65cb1941a4e.jpg

MFK7-17-Copy.thumb.jpg.ff7f679247da783240bd87f0d1060371.jpg

And that's it.

MFK7-18-Copy.thumb.jpg.a70e6e4d083de5114bf8544ed7f9e587.jpg

MFK7-19-Copy.thumb.jpg.64656f68cffe3291e390e78836a9e3d8.jpg

Thanks to everyone for taking a look and for all the likes.  And a special thank you to those who left comments of support and encouragement – I appreciate it very much.

Be safe and stay well.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I think this looks very convincing - the work of a stage and lighting director ;)

The problem of shadows on the backdrop occurs also in table-top photography. I have tried to circumvent this with back-lit translucent backdrops. However, this may not work for night scenes either.

I like the character of the mechanic crawling halfway under the lorry, very well animated. Did you do this or is it a commercial figure?

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

True craftsmanship!  A truly outstanding display.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Marvelous work, Gary.  It's just amazing how much detail you pack into a such a small display.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just stunning, nuff said!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Bravo Gary! You’ve done it again. I look forward to your builds so much. So amazing. Your attention to detail makes everything look so real. Thanks for sharing with us. 

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

Superb work, Gary. The mechanic under the truck is spot on. And your backdrop industrial picturs are the frosting on this display. 👍👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Outstanding work Gary ! 👏  very inspiring work!  I am sitting here trying to imagine how I could adapt your technigues to an N scale railroad scene or maybe 1:35 scale armor. Hmmmm? 

Insanely good work, wow!  Could swear I was looking at the real thing.  Great job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

22 hours ago, wefalck said:

The problem of shadows on the backdrop occurs also in table-top photography. I have tried to circumvent this with back-lit translucent backdrops. However, this may not work for night scenes either.

I like the character of the mechanic crawling halfway under the lorry, very well animated. Did you do this or is it a commercial figure?

Thanks for the nice comment Wefalck.  Yes, shadows can be a problem, but it was one that I didn't consider until I saw it.  I too like the "looking under" figure, but no I didn't make it - it is from Preiser #28156.

Thank you CDW, Keith, Kurt, Mark, Edward, Paul and Ken for your wonderful comments.  It is always so truly appreciated.

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I am sitting here trying to imagine how I could adapt your technigues to an N scale railroad scene or maybe 1:35 scale armor. Hmmmm? 

Thank you for the nice words, Jack.  An N scale scene would be very cool I think, maybe a steam locomotive taking on water at a tower/tank or sitting in front of a station.  Limitless possibilities.  You better get started so we can all follow along!

Mike and Andrew - thank you so much.

And thanks to everyone for the "likes" and for taking a look.

Be safe and stay well.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Well brother, another micro masterpiece....

Well done, Very well done...

(in my best Darth Vader voice)   "Your skills are complete, You are POWERFUL.... YOU are the MASTER"

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Andy and EG - Thank you both very much.   And thanks to all for smashing down on the "like" button.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

You are a wizard and your magic is amazing. To me, the illusion of the lights and of a outdoor world works perfectly.

Bravo,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Can't wait to see  the  next  one

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Dan and OC. - Thank you for stopping by and for the kind comments.  It is always appreciated.

Gary 

Completed Scratch Builds

7 hours ago, CDW said:

My poor wife has been inundated with my model building habits over the past decades, but even she was very impressed with this

I'm glad she liked it and it's always good to hear what non-builders think.  My wife is also tolerant and supportive of my interests, as I am of hers.  There's something about model building that just relaxes the mind.  I put my magnifying visor on and push my face into the model and forget about everything else.  Thanks for the comment, Craig.

2 hours ago, Javlin said:

@62 and still do not own one.........cellphone

Oh good, I'm not the only one.  People used to look at me in the most peculiar way when they asked for my mobile number, and I would tell them I didn't have one.  So now I do have one, but I can never remember what the number is because I never turn the phone on.  Heavy sigh.  Thanks for the nice words on the model Javlin.   

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

37 minutes ago, FriedClams said:

So now I do have one, but I can never remember what the number is because I never turn the phone on.  Heavy sigh. 

Yep same here ! Same for my Admiral. Kids complain they can't reach us ! 😈