Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Hi Mark,

Whichever way you look at your hull planking mate there's an awful lot of work there, it's no wonder you been a while on it,  none of that time has been wasted.

She's looking real good.

Whilst looking after Janet mate and I sincerely hope her pain is under control please don't forget to look after yourself.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mark - 

That planking is coming along very nicely, and that is not easy with the odd shape of French hulls from that period.

Well done

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mobbsie coined it pretty good.........there's a lot of very nice planking there.   you've done a super job.   finger's are crossed for the admiral.......I hope there's a solution  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark. My thoughts and prayers for Janet.

French planking is a system unto itself. It has ‘rules’. Often these are honored in the breach in many cases, and they change once one gets into a ‘ship’, as opposed to a ‘frigate’ or ‘corvette’.

Drawings by modelers are very nice, but often don’t capture the essence of le système de bordages. This is not a criticism, because you are far beyond that. It’s just an observation for, perhaps, “next time”.

The French counted strakes from the garboard to the wale. They had a rule for ‘thinning’. In my model of a frigate, it’s about 30+ strakes, top to bottom, and thinning is from 30 to about 22.

Wales are thick and 12” on the profile. There may be a second ‘wale’ strake below the first, having a ‘thick’ strake there between. The ‘thick’ strake might be 12” or 8” (yard dog choice, but mostly wale size). Below the bottom ‘wale’ strake, each successive plank is shaved down, on the bottom, by ¼ pouce, until it gets to the nominal hull plank thickness (hopefully in region of the nominal hull strake).

That’s how the French did it.

This is just a fyi kinda thing. Don’t expect you will be tweaking and wouldn’t want you to. We’re talking scale millimeters here and it just don’t matter.

John

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments. 

6 planks left to go... Hopefully, life will let up and let me get them done this week.

Hi John,

Yeah.. the more I got into the planking, the more I learned.  Maybe next time although the planking on this one has been a bit of a snot,  so to speak.  I back up the Hahn plans with the NMM and the Belle Poule monograph.  I'm not spot on... maybe close, I hope.  After sanding and gap filling it should look pretty good, but as always.. it's a case of "we'll see".   The planking does go from "thick to thin" with the only "break" being the top wale does stand proud at its upper edge per the drawings.  But even the narrowing of the width of each strake as it goes down the side has been problematic due to the small dimension a model. 

Still on the learning curve...  but the next model will be glorious!  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I remember at Manitowoc one year a guy brought in a French frigate with a great looking hull that confounded me a bit.  I struck up a conversation with him and he said that he followed French practice and rules for both planking and framing and showed the manuscripts that he used for reference.  I was used to American and English practice.  It was really different.  And the judges later told me that was a good point for his knowledge and skill.  I admire your tenacity and skill in your planking you are doing a fantastic job.

David B

Hope you get some workshop time Mark to finish those strokes off, I'm still in workshop building mode but hope to have a small workspace ready by the new year so I can get back to Pegasus.

Best wishes to the Admiral.

Ben

Time to splice the main brace, methinks.:cheers:   Or maybe just a happy dance...post-76-0-33401900-1449969291.gif

Major milestone today... external hull planking (except for the transom is finished.   Still needs a serious sanding and some gap filling which I'll start on after a bit of cleanup in shop.

post-76-0-84195900-1449968350_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-97232600-1449968360_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-59912200-1449968369_thumb.jpg

Next job (after the sanding is fitting the stern post, fashion pieces and doing the transom..  planking, windows, carvings, and the molding strips.

Time to splice the main brace, methinks. :cheers:   Or maybe just a happy dance...post-76-0-33401900-1449969291.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

While I'm updating the log...  a couple of side projects ongoing.  I've not done much with the longboat other than some sanding to the mold. 

I did redo the laser cut out for the stern carving in Euro Boxwood and a more appropriate thickness after a discussion the other sub-forum.  This one does look better in my opinion and won't be removing so much wood.

post-76-0-29369400-1449969434_thumb.jpg

Another one while waiting for glue to dry on the planks was to prepare the drawings for guns and carriages.  I made two dummy guns to check the height once the deck is in and planked and couple of pieces for checking the guns after I turn them.   I'm puzzling over a duplicator for the lathe.  It'll have to self-made as there's nothing commercial that will work on mine. :(

post-76-0-60963300-1449969415_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-94507100-1449969423_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Yee Haa !!!!   Mark congrats, That is a big achievement.

Just sit back for a moment to admire, and feel good about it.

Cheers Chris

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:   Definitely the happy dance is in order after reaching a project milestone.  Especially when it comes out that good.   :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Congrats on hitting this milestone Mark. :cheers: I know you've been waiting patiently for the (hull-planking) finish-line. :)   

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

A major milestone desreves a major celebration - just don't use any powertools until the hangover is gone ;) Well done mate, looks good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Congratulations on achieving such a major milestone Mark! Definitely time for the happy dance. Then down tools while you do some serious celebrating with the adult beverage of your choice. No more power tools until the room stops spinning okay?!!!

Nicely done!!

Congratulations in reaching this milestone.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Mark congratulations on completion of this step only ....... more to go, you must be pleased! your step to start over seems like it was years ago now and was well worth the decision.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the likes and the comments...  no hangovers but then, I haven't raised by glass yet.  Later tonight. :D

Michael,

That was the best decision I could have made.  Thanks for reminding me.

And thanks to the members of this forum for the help and encouragement.  I've learned a few lessons on this part of the trip. :rolleyes:   Ok.. many lessons, not a few.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well done Mark on a great achievement, the hull looks fantastic even without sanding.

Lessens well learned and implemented mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Major milestone today... external hull planking (except for the transom is finished.   Still needs a serious sanding and some gap filling which I'll start on after a bit of cleanup in shop.

G'day Mark

I think I might need new glasses!  I can't see anywhere you will need any filler!

Great job and congratulations on this mild stone. My feet are dancing for you over here in Oz.

All the best mate.

Havagooday

Greg :cheers:

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Greg,

At stand off distance... maybe 5000 miles... yep... no filling needed. :D  :D :D  

It does need some serious sanding and filling with sawdust and poly.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Congratulations Mark, that's a serious milestone.

Regarding the duplicator, take a good look at the commercial ones and you're probably able to make one of your own. I did once a long time ago, but never really tested it, so I can't tell mine works. If al fails you may opt to procure a set of guns.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Congratulations Mark, that's a serious milestone.

Regarding the duplicator, take a good look at the commercial ones and you're probably able to make one of your own. I did once a long time ago, but never really tested it, so I can't tell mine works. If al fails you may opt to procure a set of guns.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Le hull ... she looks, 'ow you say, Magnifique !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Very very very nice !!!! I like it !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic