Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat by ccoyle - FINISHED - WAK - 1/33 - CARD

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Now we're getting down to details that are difficult for a cellphone camera to capture. Cylinders #3 and #13 have hoses that connect to the distribution ring. In addition to these, I did a test run of the spark plug 'wires', which are simply black thread. The hoses and wires have couplings that I believe were probably brass on the original or some other brown-toned metal; these I have simulated with dark tan paint. Overall, I like the effect and think we're good to go for the remaining thirteen sets of wires.

f4f42.jpg.6bc4e3f5c4931aea24eb3b185b6de9b2.jpg

BTW, the kit provided a template for making the distribution ring from wire, but since the original is rectangular in cross-section, not round, I chose to  make one from scratch from scrap 'beer mat'. This was a good move, because it is infinitely easier to glue the thread ends to card rather than to metal.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Pure genius  Chris  -  Superb Work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

All done! I'd tell you what all the extra added doohickeys are, but I don't know what they are myself -- I just followed the reference photo. As a matter of curiosity, there are, of course, multiple variants of the Twin Wasp. I didn't find any sources that could tell me which variant(s) was(were) used in the dash-four, so if you know, don't tell me now, cuz it's too late! 😅

f4f43.jpg.c961d27e839c0fa5a702ed32a26087d4.jpg f4f44.jpg.abbc83eed12585bfddb441c42e1e436c.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That is so hard to believe it's card... it's that real looking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Last night I finished the cowling and mounted both it and the engine to the fuselage. When it comes to cowlings, card model designers have two options. By far the more common option is to make the cowling from a series of rings, like those seen here for my earlier F6F build:

typicalcowl.jpg.99047dae5f7336323f37a66ed6633017.jpg

The other and thankfully less common option is to design the cowling as what's called a "petal structure" in the hobby, i.e., the cowling is a single strip (or two strips in this case -- an inner one plus an outer one) from which a series of tapered darts is removed, creating a row of 'petals'. The petals are then rolled to bring their tips together, creating the rounded cowling.

f4fcowl.jpg.02b1554fe43258a97b34f0d5ce4db27a.jpg

I absolutely, positively despise petal structures. In the first place, they are an absolute nightmare to shape properly. I don't know how the Poles do it, but I'm far from mastering the technique. In addition, and for obvious reasons, a petal structure has a large number of seams -- sixteen in this instance. Lastly, it is very difficult, for me at least, to judge whether I have achieved the correct amount of 'roll'. The roll is largely determined by the petal shape -- you simply roll them until the edges come together -- but there's still a certain amount of leeway between getting it just right and almost right. Happily, the whole thing does not look as bad in real life as this unflattering close-up makes it appear.

Still to be added is the air scoop that sits atop the cowling. The dash-four had two additional scoops inside the cowling at roughly the four and eight o'clock positions, as you can see in this photo:

f4fcloseup(3).jpg.3b2dac5598d5921dd1220fc4cf72f754.jpg

The kit makes no provision for the inside scoops, so I'll have to give some thought to whether to add them. Anyways, that's where we're at for now.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I tried to find images to compare, all I found were some ones from an Australian hobby shop:

https://au.super-hobby.com/products/F4F-4-Wildcat-53784814.html

Although it’s a different paint scheme, it doesn’t look too far different from your own. I’d say you’re doing very well (amazingly well) with what you’ve got. 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

17 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

I tried to find images to compare, all I found were some ones from an Australian hobby shop:

Super-Hobby is actually an internet store with its home base in Poland.

18 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Although it’s a different paint scheme

It's the same kit (see post #1 in this topic).

18 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

I’d say you’re doing very well (amazingly well) with what you’ve got. 

Well, thank you, I'm flattered! But I'm also realistic -- I'm no match for the kit's beta builder. I'd like to get there someday, but I don't know that I ever will. It's difficult to learn the secrets of the masters when all of them live in Poland and are mainly active on the various Polish-language forums.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

34 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

it absolutely distracts from your amazing engine build! 🫤

I'll build another one and put it on an engine stand next to the finished bird. Ha ha -- not! 😂

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

So, if you remember your F4Fs well, then you'll recall that the Wildcat had a shockingly complicated (and manually retractable!) landing gear. Here's where we get to see that a 'card' model typically includes media other than card -- wire and styrene rod in this case. First we have the bits that go inside the gear bay, twelve pieces in all.

f4f46.jpg.566a303ee6902d3f4d657f6b1d6814cc.jpg

And then we have to start building the complex struts themselves. Like most all card kits, this one includes templates for making the various wire or styrene pieces -- they're just not usually this labor-intensive. So far I'm pleased with how these are turning out.

f4f47.jpg.683ca60849e72d0bf82323a1e66774f7.jpg

BTW, I'm not showing you the finished cowling scoop. The poor Wildcat's nose really is a weakness in this kit. 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Yep the petal cowling and scoops are always a problem, but there are ways to deal with them...

Years back I remember paper modelers on some of the fora arguing about them not being true paper modeling though...

Like any medium, it has it's absolutists....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

:omg:, crikey Chris, you are a glutton for punishment 😁.

Oh fantastic job by the way!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

A small amount of progress today. Further work on the gear:

f4fstrut.thumb.jpg.28c5a71518051f1283c248dbf5acf005.jpg

While waiting for these to dry, I decided to work on the numerous fairings and other bits on the lower wing surfaces, starting with two large intakes. IMO, these are over-engineered and result in no significant gain in either sturdiness or ease of construction. The Halinski Wildcat uses a mere three parts to make each of these structures; the WAK kit uses SEVEN -- three separate outer skins plus four internal frames. Despite their apparent simplicity, these were no cakewalk to make, and I'm not completely happy with how they turned out.

f4fintakes.jpg.1f4e3c054e8d781ff16c7d43afb89b6d.jpg

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Fantastic work Chris!  I'm getting PTSD from seeing pictures of your landing gear - it was a pain, to say the least, on my Tamiya build!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Fairings, fairings, fairings . . .

First we have a couple of the flat parts, a bunch of partially shaped ones, and the scribing tool I used to help shape them.

f4f50.jpg.708b580eca74cba633bf752123f2be6e.jpg

Did you know that a Wildcat has eighteen underwing fairings in five different sizes? 😑

f4f51.jpg.62972358347702b80d6257ccbec3e148.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

More work on the gear . . .

f4f52.jpg.1cfdd76d1daa48ab44d61441baae19d9.jpg

f4f53.jpg.7f1197caf674693522f8f6629de819b8.jpg

If I counted correctly, each gear mechanism will have 33 parts when completed.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Truly Amazing work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

All glued up! Putting all the parts together reminded me of my fisheries work days when we used to regularly visit a hatchery that had crisscrossing lines suspended at different heights over the raceways full of fingerling tout and salmon -- the crossing lines supposedly played havoc with the depth perception of the local kingfishers. Well, these crisscrossing rods and struts definitely messed with my depth perception as well!

f4f55.jpg.daf89e8869d5c92f72da2c4cd3bc791c.jpg

I won't place any weight on the struts until the glue has cured for 24 hours.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Beautiful! One of my flying buddies built a 1/4 scale Wildcat and the gear retraction was a pure joy to behold. Unfortunately the plane survived two flights. That gear, combined with a heavier than recommended radial motor, made for a craft with a CG way too far forward so it was a beast to fly and impossible to land gently. The second flight landing didn't seem all that rough but it wiped the undercarriage clean. It is a gorgeous craft though and your model is fantastic.

That looks awesome Chris!  Tell me you weren't tempted to slip some dowels into that  😉   Wood is just "paper ore" after all, amirite?

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat