Hello All from Tom at CAF model

cafmodel

Hello all,  I'm Tom from Shanghai, China. My English is not very good. I use Google translation software to communicate

I am very grateful to MSW, the communication platform, for letting me see a lot of excellent works, for letting me see a lot of production experience, and for letting me learn and progress from it

Now I have a small studio cafmodel. We mainly develop the kit of the model,

Previously, La salamander, Le Requn, La Belle, La renommee, La jacinthe, HMS enterprise, HMS Bellona have been developed

At the beginning, I didn't pay attention to the copyright, but now I gradually understand that my product has the problem of infringement, and I think I should make changes

I make a statement

CAF models has recently been contacted by Chuck Passaro of the Nautical Research Guild. I am very thankful for his guidance. Chuck has worked with me to address my use of Ancre plans for my kits that all of you are familiar with. He has made it possible for me to meet Mr.Berti of Ancre so we can discuss rectifying the situation. He introduced me to Mr Berti. I apologize to Ancre for copying their plans without permission or compensation and through this introduction I have now come to an agreement with Ancre which now enables me to sell my kits with a legitimate relationship between us. I appreciate the time and professional relationship I now have with Chuck, Didier Berti and the NR G. Chuck has informed me that CAF models and my kits will now be welcomed on Model Ship World and I am very grateful for this. Thank you

I hope to get the understanding of Ancre publishing house that I will stop selling all infringing products before obtaining production authorization

Tom

Welcome to MSW Tom....

Yes indeed this is true...I am very excited to say.  😁

Over the last few weeks I have worked with Tom at CAF to introduce him to Didier Berti of Ancre.  It was my hope that if these two could discuss the issues at hand that some sort of agreement could be reached.   It has been and I am thrilled to announce that they have formed an agreement which takes both past sales of Ancre related kits and future sales into consideration.   I would also like to thank Kerry Jang who was instrumental in this process.   

e1f2582013.jpg

With this licensing agreement between Ancre almost finalized, I can announce officially the lifting of the ban we placed on all CAF kits.  I also welcome Tom and CAF models to MSW where I expect he will become a cherished member and hopefully sponsor.   So if you intend on building any CAF kit please do start a build log and ask Tom for assistance.   

Here is a link to the CAF website....https://www.cafmodel.com/

This should make it perfectly clear that our main focus at MSW and the NRG was indeed the act of pirating kits and the theft of intellectual property.  It was not a vendetta against any individual or country.  

We have removed all reference to CAF being banned on MSW....Everyone should enjoy building CAF kits and I insist that you start a build log when you get started!!!

Everyone....Please join me in welcoming Tom from CAF models!!!!

Chuck

Welcome, Tom!

I am so very pleased that you and Mr. Berti have been able to resolve this issue to everyone's satisfaction. I hope that your experience with Ancre may serve as a template for other Chinese designers and that we may soon see additional white-listings.

Kind regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW Tom.  We welcome you and your company.

Note from Admin:  CAF now meets all criteria as a legitimate MFG of ship model kits.   They have stopped producing all kits based on source material they did not have the rights to use, mainly from Ancre.   The kits currently available on their website including the Enterprise, are perfectly fine and original works not taken without consent from other authors, designers and mfg's.

We are currently helping Tom at CAF to acquire the proper rights through an agreement with Ancre to make any Ancre kits legally allowable.  Until such time all CAF /Ancre inspired kits are not allowed on MSW.  But we are hopeful they soon will be.  CAF has stopped mfg them and selling these Ancre related kits voluntarily after admitting he copied the material from Ancre without consent.   Negotiations are currently underway to rectify that situation.  We will make an announcement as soon as they reach an agreement.  Yes there is some leftover stock of these Ancre CAF kits available through distributors which you can buy but they are still prohibited from being built within a build log here on MSW until the agreement is finalized.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Welcome to MSW, Tom.  I'm looking forward to seeing your kits.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This is great news!  Wonderful for all involved and welcome!

Welcome to MSW, Tom. I hope you will show your development of your Fly and Coureur also here on MSW.

Thanks to Chuck and the whole team behind the scene for solving the copyricght-issues.

@cafmodel

do you have some issues with your website? If I click n the pictures I can reach some models but not by your menu. What is the current standing of your Bellona kit. I couldn't see any information about.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I just had a conversation with Tom and Ancre.  I have been made aware that this arrangement is not yet finalized.  But I am very optimistic that it will be in a very short time.  So please be patient.   There will be an announcement when everything is all wrapped up!!!  :D   I think a bit of this got lost in translation.   

Chuck

On 12/18/2019 at 3:38 PM, AnobiumPunctatum said:

Welcome to MSW, Tom. I hope you will show your development of your Fly and Coureur also here on MSW.

Thanks to Chuck and the whole team behind the scene for solving the copyricght-issues.

@cafmodel

do you have some issues with your website? If I click n the pictures I can reach some models but not by your menu. What is the current standing of your Bellona kit. I couldn't see any information about.

I will. Thank you for your attention

On 12/18/2019 at 5:14 PM, Matrim said:

This is wonderful to see happen and the parties involved (Chuck/CAF/Kerry and Ancre) all deserve credit for working together to resolve this. It's nice as well as CAF is one of the best quality producers in China so getting new kits will help the hobby.

Thank you very much. I've been dealing with other things recently. The design work has been delayed. I think I can put it into design 100% from next week

I recently took delivery of Tom’s HMS Enterprize kit.  Wow!  I saw the built up version at his home in Shanghai and was smitten.  Tom regularly upgrades the kits as he figures out a better way or gets customer feedback.  He tries to replicate the look and materials of the Admiralry models, even producing some of the carvings in bone.  Quite an amazing product.  Good quality wood, cast brass cannon, wooden carvings, etched brass, the list goes on.  The kit came in seven boxes and weighed several kilo.  

I hope the arrangement with ANCRE gets done soon.  I once tried to build Le  Salamandre from the plans.  I got a long way on it and just ran out personal steam.  I’ve seen his kit and can say it will be a lot easier to realize a ship in frame and far more precisely than I could ever do.  This model has been upgraded too, he changed how the cant frames are cut and assembled to make them easier to build and replicate actual construction.  The method of building the cutter is also improved with a resin cast jig to lat frames and planks.  

Welcome Tom, and thank you Chuck!

cheers,

Kerry

Vancouver, Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom, Welcome to MSW!  I  have been authorized by the admiral to procure some new ship models, I am extremely interested in your designs and am wondering what kind of time frame you are expecting to release your Bellona, Le Requin, La Belle, etc. What is the status of the sessions still not released?( 5th session of Bellona, 5 and 6 sessions of Le Renommee). Also are you planning on any English translations for the included documentation? I have a feeling you are going to be busy producing lots of kits once a few build logs start here on MSW..... I plan to be among them!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Tom

Thanks to you and Chuck for making this collaboration possible.
I'm building the Enterprize and I'm finally happy to be able to publish it.
See you soon

Iosto

Current build  

Enterprize

Schifetto

Completed builds:

LA BELLE

La Jacinthe French Schooner

Cherful

Tartana Gemma

Carmenia           

Salvatore Padre