New England Stonington Dragger by FriedClams - FINISHED - 1:48 POB

I love horror movies, wish someone had filmed your incident, NOT.   Would sure make a great commercial!!!     I am VERY happy that all ended well and I thank you very very much for your building log, it has been a true pleasure to follow.  It has also opened my mind to new subjects for future projects.

Do you have a new project in the making?   I for one will definitely follow your build if you start a log.   

Thank you very much for sharing.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

It's not the most spectacular boat, but precisely your model, its construction, the impressive number of details, the quality of the finish, and finally the support... make this boat one of the most beautiful models I've seen in recent years!
Bravo ! 🤪👋

Gary - the whole effect is absolute magic - a sensational little boat.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Just fabulous ! What a wonderful ship model.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Unbelievable!  Not only is your model one of the best I've seen, but the base is also outstanding.

Great work!

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Gary, this build is like a good book that you can't put down but you put off reading too quickly so as not to rush the ending. This log may have come to an end, stuffed with all your beautiful work from page one to the last but the lessons and wonderful images will live with me forever. Thank you.........Keith

Edited by Keith Black

Been watching along since the beginning, you're an artist and a genius replicating this boat's parts!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Amazing work, both the model and the comprehensive build log explaining the techniques used.   Thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful model and the knowledge and techniques used to create it.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

I'll add my voice to the growing cascade of accolades -- all of them well-deserved! A great log, and I look forward to your next project.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Really great work, Gary.

I followed along from the beginning and learned many excellent techniques along the way.

Looking forward to your next project.  I have my popcorn all ready.

Thanks again for sharing.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

I can't add much to what's already been said, but your display really sets the mood.  The shipyard worker is definitely a master stroke on an already masterful build.  I too can't wait to see what you'll build next.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This is a truly exceptional model. Absolutely wonderful. Congratulations on building a showpiece!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations on completing your masterpiece.

I guess if you put a scenic view behind the model it would be hard pressed for anyone to say it was not the real thing. 

Thanks for the inspiration.

Here's to the next one.

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments.  It is so great to share a hobby with like-minded folks.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:14 PM, druxey said:

Now, what's next? We are waiting....

On 11/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, allanyed said:

Do you have a new project in the making?

Hello Druxey and Allen.  Thanks for asking and your interest.

When I began this Stonington boat, I always had it in the back of my mind that this would be a trial run of sorts leading up to a larger and more complex Eastern-rig vessel. I always figure the scar tissue developed during one project will benefit me in the next, or at least help in avoiding a total face plant. There are numerous weaknesses and flat-out errors on every model I've ever made and that tradition will continue, but I hope to make new mistakes and not repeat ones made before. There are very few wooden hull Eastern-rig boats still floating today. They have mostly been replaced by steel hull stern trawlers, but in mid-century New England, they were ubiquitous. Based on my interests and being a mid-century New Englander myself, an Eastern-rig scallop dragger out of New Bedford seems a natural next project.

I didn't have much in the way of plans for the Stonington boat and I spent ridiculous amounts of time scrounging around in search of tidbit information.  I'm not going to do that on the next model, so I need to hunt down comprehensive plans and I know who has them.  The research library at Mystic Seaport is a rich resource of plans for vessels of all types, but the vast majority of the material is undigitized and requires on-site research.  Their archives contain the original drawings for dozens and dozens of Eastern-rig boats – but the library is closed to visitors due to Covid.  When they re-open, I will travel down to Connecticut and see what they got.

In the interim I'm going to work on some non-floating modeling and make another 1:87 mini- diorama. Early on in this log I posted photos of one of these small dioramas – a small boat building shop.

1377209995_SD52-1-Copy.jpg.d8ca6905816b8845c86d9a95d8801692.jpg

That was the second in a series. The first was this old Fordson tractor emerging from a barn. Both dioramas are the same size.

1567977056_SD52-2-Copy.jpg.e6b2767c243ac75bd88e4a8f3a8e24df.jpg

The third will be a 1920s auto repair shop and will keep me occupied until I can begin work on the scallop boat.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:19 PM, wefalck said:

I gather the boats sits on the ground between tides ? Or how is it otherwise hauled out ?

Hello Wefalck.  No, it's not in the tidal zone and your question is a good one. I looked at many photos like this and though “how did that boat get there”?

1598325817_SD52-3-Copy.jpg.eba29f15ebfd325f119d3f9f9f589da0.jpg

What was confounding to me is that the boat stands, props and cribbing are in the way of whatever placed there. How do you hold the boat up and pull the transport out from under it at the same time? I then found this video and the “well, of course” moment happened. The video is from a manufacturer of boat stands and it demonstrates the ease of how it's done. The first 45 seconds or so is product sales pitch.

Brownell Boat Stands Demonstration - YouTube

And there is always plan “B”.

928335146_SD52-4-Copy.jpg.cb628d590c0933d4e3007d2922aaaf6c.jpg

Thanks again everyone.  Stay safe.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 4 weeks later...

Gary, echoing the other comments, a wonderful model. Fantastic work and a very inspiring log all together.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year!

Vaddoc

Gary, I hope your family is enjoying the Last Dollar as much as I/we have. Merry Christmas to you and yours......Keith

• 1 month later...

Just catching up Gary, what a superb finish!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gary,

That was a phenomenal build of a Stonington dragger.  I like all working vessels of all types. I thought maybe using a link to your build would and surely does help those in my RC club that are new or advancing into the model building hobby. I especially like you weathering of the hull and deck planks and hatch covers, doors, etc. That makes a load of difference in a finished model. I am with a local MA RC club with many interests. Link below. I have built an amount of wood boat models scattered over the years. But I am also into aircraft. Thanks for your informative posts.

Bob Pacheco

http://forum.bristolcountyrc.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=239&p=1405#p1405

• 3 months later...

Gary, the Northeast Ship Model Conference will be held this October 2nd, Saturday 2021 at the Port 'N' Starboard Banquet center, New London,CT.

It would be a real treat to see your Stonington Trawler at this show. It is one of the finest models that i have ever seen and should be showed.

It you are interested please note the web site address (www.usscmsg.org/nsmc). I hope to see you there.

Tim Murphy

Hello Tim.  Thank you for thinking of my Stonington boat model in regards to showing it at the Northeast Conference this coming October.  I registered on-line several weeks ago and I will be bringing this Stonington dragger model with me.  I'm looking forward to the event and seeing all the great models displayed by our fellow modelers.  Should be fun and educational.

And I thank you for the high appraisal of the model - I only hope it doesn't disappoint in person.  See you there.

Gary 

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Gary! There is no way your model will disappoint. It’s my gold standard. Enjoy the show and I hope  you fill us in with details afterwards. 

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)