HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Hey Remco, om van te watertanden!  Translation: "to drool over."  Your hypodemic nurdles sure got a workout.

I need to make 4 of them suckers, triple sheaf fiddle blocks, more like base fiddle though ;-)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks guys. Progress is a little slow, making the blocks hasn't got me over the block yet.. I'm not mass producing the blocks other than the method described in TFFM vol 4. I've seen how Chuck does it, clever but whenever possible I like to avoid powered tools. Cutting by hand is more satisfying and I'm not on any deadline to get things finished. And doing a repetitive task helps to clear my mind, that's what the hobby is for. 

That said I had to turn the shaves on my lathe  :o

I found making bigger blocks harder than the small ones, getting them the same shape and size was necessary as it really shows.

post-20-0-79436800-1362517120_thumb.jpeg

Remco

ps Pat, you can always come over and scavenge my scrapbox ;)

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco,

Wonderful as always.  And as always.. a fine tutorial. :) 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Remco,

really wonderful. You show that it's possinle to make workable blocks in 1:48. Thanks for sharing

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Another great job as always. Thanks Remco!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks all. 

So the metal work is blackened and installed and it's time to do some rope work. Believe it or not it took me one whole evening to understand the text in TFFM how the block should be stropped and how the rope needed to be spliced. But I got it and spliced the rope properly tying the individual ropes with small fly tying rope to prevent them to unravel. This worked better than a spot of glue as the glue wears of pretty quickly once you start splicing the rope. The blocks are BIG compared to the mast. Nothing refined about it just hardware made to do a job.

post-20-0-05996300-1362915538_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-57336200-1362915539_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco, 

If that's the size the drawings call for then that's what they are supposed to be.  You'll be surprised that once the masts are mounted to the ship and the rigging and spars are on they'll look quite right.  It's the function that counts.

Looking very nice indeed.  I hope mine will look as nice as yours.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Remco,

Nice work on the stropping.  I have question.  Obviously this is block and stropping for a heavy load.  Is it actually supported/secured to the mast by that one light line? Or this just for position only?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Karl. 

Thanks Mark, it's just a line for positioning. I have to make a special cleat and rope to attach the blocks to the tops. You'll see.

Mark II, here's the how to. I used this link to understand how it works: http://www.animatedknots.com/spliceshort/index.php?Categ=splicing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

post-20-0-20050100-1363202451_thumb.jpeg

First the length I need is laid out and tied off at both ends. The tips of the ropes are dipped in CA to prevent from unraveling

post-20-0-86381100-1363202449_thumb.jpeg

The ends are brought together and tied again

post-20-0-36482700-1363202448_thumb.jpeg

Then the lines are spliced using a needle, it took some time to understand how this works as its quite confusing 

post-20-0-99455900-1363202446_thumb.jpeg

I opened the eye of the needle so I can insert the rope easily

post-20-0-14389700-1363202444_thumb.jpeg

The finished splice

post-20-0-66870200-1363202445_thumb.jpeg

The loop is glued to the block

post-20-0-43938100-1363202442_thumb.jpeg

And then seized at both ends

post-20-0-71778700-1363202440_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-07878000-1363202439_thumb.jpeg 

The result

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Wow, I did not thought, that this is possible in 1/48. Absolut incredible.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Your pictures of splicing are fantastic.  I have never seen a better explanation of the process.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Very nicely done Remco.... now you know how to do it......

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nice Splice!

Maury