HMS Sphinx 1775 by Blue Ensign - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale

HMS Sphinx 1775 Sixth Rate 20 guns ship - 1:64 Scale model from Vanguard.

This will be my latest project, a project the size and type of which, only a short while ago, I thought I would not be doing again.

I hadn’t counted on Chris Watton’s ability to beguile me in this late stage of my model building career to return to another 18th century square rigged naval ship.

However, as Jim’s prototype build developed, I thought what a fine Navy board style model this would make given the detail included in the kit, and importantly proper deck beams, and full run decks unimpeded by hull carcase bulkhead structures.

The inclusion of an engraved proper lower deck with hatches and ladderways down to an orlop deck, is a nice touch and opens further opportunities.

I will be building this kit as a Navy board style model without masts or rigging, and that way space considerations will not be a big issue.

medium_1864_0004_0002.jpg.6b2a099dd83c3ea61e3e72986fd87631.jpg

medium_1864_0004_0001.jpg.a404d57230ac5886b835c1344cca040c.jpg

Joseph Marshall paintings of Sphynx / Sphinx held by the Science Museum. (They are available for purchase as prints.)

These two perspective paintings by Joseph Marshall commissioned by George 111 will be my inspiration, as was his painting of the cutter Alert for that build.

Altho’ delivery is still a week or so away, I am gathering information, and I have some jottings about possible additions/modifications, but I won’t pre-empt the arrival of the kit.

2086372372_Sphinxlinesandprofileplan.jpg.d9dc894f2c46bce011fc5bcf6bae5446.jpg

I have also ordered the Lines and Profile plan from the N.M.M. (Ref j4272)

Apart from providing additional information, these make very attractive art works to my eye at least, and the framed print will join those of Pegasus and Cheerful on my walls.

I have also realised that my copy of The 24-Gun Frigate Pandora (AotS series – by John McKay and Ron Coleman) has much useful information relevant to Sphinx.

So, as I continue finger tapping on my desk, in eager anticipation of that large box arriving, I will entertain myself poring over the pdf of the voluminous build manual.

B.E.

11/08/2021

Can’t wait to see your interpretation of Chris’s design B.E. I’m sure it will be something special, so I’ve pulled up a front row seat to follow along.

Was happy to hear that you would be taking on this model and will definitely be following this build.  Like many other members, your Pegasus build has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration for my own build.  I am Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Sphinx.

Edited by WestPort

I'm ready to sit back and enjoy the show!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Looking forward to your take on this model in Navy Board fashion. The Marshall paintings are very inspirational!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I'm in also B.E.   I'm thinking the same build style due to space when I do mine.   Meanwhile, until delivery is chill pill time.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys for your support, I do hope I live up to our joint expectations. 🙄

@ WestPort – Thank you, glad my Pegasus build has been of use.

@ Greg - I will be using your build of Pegasus as an invaluable reference work for my deck plan layout.

@ Neill – matrimonial harmony - Good thinking, assists a build no end. 😄

@ Mark – I’m looking forward to enhancing the exposed deck beams with carlings, ledges, and knees etc;

B.E.

Edited by Blue Ensign

I'm going to be following too and can only echo what West Port said about your Pegasus build

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

HM Cutter Trial 1790 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Current Build

HMS Speedy 1782 2023 Edition - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Wow B.E.

your new project looks very inspiring, it will be a beautiful admirality model indeed...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very tempted to follow your lead (not for the first time!) and go down the Navy Board route when I get mine. 

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

A great approach to this model BE. I will really enjoy watching it develop, it will be an inspiration. I’d already thought I’d not rig it just because of the size and because so much of the deck detail is lost to view. Are you considering exposed frames?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Glenn,

I’ve got an A4 sheet of notes to myself of questions and possible mods, but I need to wait until I see the model before I commit to anything.

I’m certainly thinking of minimal deck planking and the addition of Lodging knees, Hanging knees, ledges and carlings.

On the hull I’ve mused about the possibility of Open hull framing in the area of the Orlop/ lower deck; the kit does include the Orlop deck and ladderway down from the Lower deck.

It’s a very exciting prospect, made more pleasurable by the thought that I don’t have to worry about where to put it, altho’ my younger self would probably have masted and rigged it.

Regards,

B.E.

I have entertained myself this week building Chuck’s delightful little mini kit of the double Capstan derived from his HMS Winchelsea kit.

636028004_DSC03535(4).thumb.JPG.7bc7241c3a5c35292fadce6152e5af86.JPG

3534(3)

At 1:48 scale it won’t unfortunately fit the forthcoming Sphinx build but it will sit in her case as an example of such a device of the mid-18th century.

I am ahead of the game in one respect, I have already made the 22’ Yawl which will also be supplied with the kit.

404305960_DSC00610(2).thumb.JPG.87120617121160aa2cae90c33c012d45.JPG

610(2)

At least one tiny element of the Sphinx build will be rigged.

1772333328_DSC00620(2).thumb.JPG.ab8d124c5490d45d106f8a54652ba36b.JPG

620(2)

DSC00631.thumb.JPG.2280ec34bd276c0a7ca727602fbe2356.JPG

I have already decided to have only the Pinnace displayed on the hull so the Yawl too will sit within the case of the completed Sphinx.

B.E.

20/08/2021

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

I have entertained myself this week building Chuck’s delightful little mini kit of the double Capstan derived from his HMS Winchelsea kit.

3534(3)

At 1:48 scale it won’t unfortunately fit the forthcoming Sphinx build but it will sit in her case as an example of such a device of the mid-18th century.

I am ahead of the game in one respect, I have already made the 22’ Yawl which will also be supplied with the kit.

610(2)

At least one tiny element of the Sphinx build will be rigged.

620(2)

I have already decided to have only the Pinnace displayed on the hull so the Yawl too will sit within the case of the completed Sphinx.

B.E.

20/08/2021

Following too, nice idea.

Also, i have started with a Pinnace from Chris and my plan was exactly to have her rigged.

What sources did you use for the Yawl rigging ?

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Very cool!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thank you Jacek,

I used the AotS series book The 24-gun Frigate  Pandora which gives details of the ships boats rigging. In addition to the Yawl a rigged Pinnace is also shown.

I also used Steel's references for the rigging of ships boats for the mast dimensions etc.

You will find details of my builds of small boats under the kit build logs 1751-1800 section.  (Ships Boats, Page 9, of the log index.) The Yawl build follows on from the Cutter build.

Regards,

B.E.

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

Thank you Jacek,

I used the AotS series book The 24-gun Frigate  Pandora which gives details of the ships boats rigging. In addition to the Yawl a rigged Pinnace is also shown.

I also used Steel's references for the rigging of ships boats for the mast dimensions etc.

You will find details of my builds of small boats under the kit build logs 1751-1800 section.  (Ships Boats, Page 9, of the log index.) The Yawl build follows on from the Cutter build.

Regards,

B.E.

huh, i read the Pandora AOTS some time ago but never noticed that part, thx for pointing it out 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

I'm sure you'll do Chris' kit proud BE...and I also suspect that there will be a number of further enhancements so I'll strap in for the ride.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

10 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

What is the full name of this book, BE?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

30 minutes ago, TBlack said:

You can get a copy for $188.

If you Google the title, you can get it for at least half that..

Here is one at Abe Books for $95 shipped..

If you don't have to hold a book in your hand, here is a free E-book ..   The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, It is apparently in the public domain.

There is also a free  "Steels Art of Rigging"  in the NRG resources..

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon