HMS Bellona by yvesvidal - CAF Model - 1:48

Third quadrant, at the stern: 

DSC05816.thumb.JPG.69ead4ffb18ca77e09e30d879d804241.JPG

These maple wood strips are interesting. They are extremely flexible, allowing you to espouse pretty much all shapes, which comes handy at the stern.

In addition, after gluing them, especially when using Titebond Quick glue, the wood need to be "burnished" to embrace the exact shapes of the support. It is like burnishing a thin sheet of copper and is very unusual in the way it reacts. I am using an ice cream stick to do all the burnishing. The wood of the stick is hard and smooth and does not damage the thin planking.

Multiple coats of Wipe-On-Poly have been applied and the stern is now hard and extremely smooth to the touch. The blue color is Cerulean Blue by Liquitex (Acrylic) and that is the color I like the most after trying about 4 other Royal blues, and other blues from Model Shipways and Tamiya. I find the traditional Royal blues way too dark for my taste. On top of that blue, various decals will be applied, since the freezes on these  vessels were painted and not carved.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

3 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

These maple wood strips are interesting. They are extremely flexible, allowing you to espouse pretty much all shapes, which comes handy at the stern.

Very nice planking… what is the thickness of those Maple planks, I may want to keep these in mind for my stash of projects under the bench. I have a Sergal Peregrine Galley I picked up on eBay that is missing all  of its 1mm x 6mm Walnut planking. Would Maple  be a better choice for the top planking over Walnut? 

Great job 👏 

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

What an incredible build! The coppering will be a challenge, but she's really going to look great once that's done! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I just started on the coppering..... The beginning is not too tedious, but I am sure it will not be the same in a few days....

The tiles are made one by one, using the chopper tool:

DSC05827.thumb.JPG.899f964d0afe691bacc64fddb14f01ce.JPG

I am using 3M adhesive tape and that helps a lot as the tiles are easy to install, do not require any glue and can be burnished in position for a nice fit.

As mentioned before, the copper tiles provided by CAF are not of the right size and require the use of CA glue. Below you can see the difference in size between the CAF tiles and the ones I am building: 

DSC05828.thumb.JPG.f9c02c2278b6cd9f7c891d55c15671cf.JPG

The CAF tiles are rather expensive (I think the set for Bellona is about $500 plus shipping) and the 3M tape is a lot more affordable. The real tiles were 4 feet long by 15 inches wide. At the scale of 1/48th, it means a tile of 2.5 cm (1 inch) by 8 mm. The 3M tape is 7.98 mm wide which is perfect for this use.

I am using a wheel to mark a line of nails all around the tile. In my humble opinion, it looks more realistic than the traditional porcupine tiles provided by kit makers. Also, the holes are indented into the tiles instead of protruding out, which is contrary to the real way this was done. Copper nails were hammered into the tiles and there were no bumps visible.

The real ship required 2741 tiles and about 2.5 tons of copper nails (according to the Anatomy of the Ship book). The overlap was about 1 inch and a half, which is close to 1 mm at 1/48th scale. I am setting the tiles starting from the keel and from the stern, and overlapping them, until I reach the flotation line and the bow.

DSC05829.thumb.JPG.cafffcfa9f228e441f9d7efd45d8f71e.JPG

DSC05831.thumb.JPG.a40498e9b682174a88ad54f9a09a23e5.JPG

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Yves: Glad to see you are using copper tape. While it would have made life a lot easier if plates were provided, the copper tape allows you to tailor those plates to what you want. I have used copper tape before and had great success. Keep the great pics coming! 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

The going to size size is great and so is the way you did the dimples.  Not oversized or looking out of place.   Beautiful work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Updates will be coming very slowly, from now on, until I can finish at least one side of the hull coppering. 

DSC05832.thumb.JPG.4b5ce4dac4d27db1467a60423813ea4c.JPG

Each tile is cut, embossed and placed by hand. There is a slight overlap in both dimensions (flotation line overlapping keel tiles and bow overlapping stern tiles). A labor of love and infinite patience, but so beautiful under a dimmed light.

Yves

Did I hear that right - 500$ just for the copper tiles? Wow.....

In any case hope you've got some good music/audiobooks/podcasts to listen to while doing this work....the planking and coppering so far look really nice

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Compared to the out of scale stuff supplied by almost all the  popular kit makers, this is by far one of the nicest copper sheathing jobs seen in the build logs.  Kudos to you for scrapping the junk in the kit and making your own.

There may have been some diagonal patterns of nails inside the periphery of each piece  but not very close together.  Leaving them out though does not detract at all.    

Looking forward to  your next posts.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

18 hours ago, allanyed said:

Compared to the out of scale stuff supplied by almost all the  popular kit makers, this is by far one of the nicest copper sheathing jobs seen in the build logs.  Kudos to you for scrapping the junk in the kit and making your own.

Allan

Allan, thank you for the compliments. 

To be completely honest and precise, the Copper tiles set from CAF is $328 plus shipping (not $500 as I had said before). They basically send you 50 sheets of copper, pre-printed and pre-stamped. You still have to cut them one by one and glue them.

I never purchased the whole copper set and only asked them to send me a sample of the tiles when i purchased the Session #2, before committing to the copper purchase. I am glad I did that, as the size was not what it needed to be. CAF offered to print larger tiles for me and that may have entailed an additional cost. In the end, I decided to go with the copper tape, and I am glad I did as the installation is a lot easier and the hull will not look like it has chicken pox.

I have tiled close to a quarter of the hull, as shown below: 

DSC05833.thumb.JPG.c7f336d8a292d3acd08028809b08a881.JPG

DSC05834.thumb.JPG.ef867332bf6a66d8dfe67f2487238d17.JPG

DSC05835.thumb.JPG.b072fd171a51d3fd4c84f36aac0ff328.JPG

Each roll of copper tape is 33 meters long by 7.98 mm wide. That is equivalent to 1320 tiles of 25 mm long each. With this calculation, I should be able to tile half of the hull with one spool of copper tape, since the original vessel required about 2400 tiles to cover the entire hull. We will see how it goes. I have a second spool on hand for the other side.

Yves

I can imagine that resourcing the materials to produce a kit of this size, details and complexity is an extremely tough undertaking! But too bad about the scale issue with the plates. The coppering looks really nice so far with the tape - are you anchoring the tiles in any way beyond the adhesive backing on the tape? I've found that with the tape I have occasionally to pat the tiles down where they start to peel up from the surface....

hamilton

37 minutes ago, hamilton said:

I can imagine that resourcing the materials to produce a kit of this size, details and complexity is an extremely tough undertaking! But too bad about the scale issue with the plates. The coppering looks really nice so far with the tape - are you anchoring the tiles in any way beyond the adhesive backing on the tape? I've found that with the tape I have occasionally to pat the tiles down where they start to peel up from the surface....

hamilton

Hamilton: What I did with the copper tape on my Model Shipways Constitution is to seal it with a wipe on poly (Matt). Just enough to cover it. It helped it to adhere to the hull. 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Thanks for this tip Mike! I'll try it out next time for sure!

hamilton

On 2/27/2022 at 11:38 AM, hamilton said:

Thanks for this tip Mike! I'll try it out next time for sure!

hamilton

Hamilton: Try it on a few test plates first to see if you like how it dries and looks first. I suspect humidity isn't a factor but I live in a dry climate and the plates looked great after it dried but I dont know if there is a different result in a humid climate. And dont overdue it.. just enough to act as a sealer. 

Let me know how it turns out!

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Big milestone today, as the starboard side is fully tiled: 

DSC05836.thumb.JPG.9f72c7f04ddd4edb8e8ce4536e66dc23.JPG

Close to 1200 copper tiles went onto the hull. Each tile being 25 mm x 8 mm, cut, embossed and placed by hand one at a time. The beautiful side of the copper tape is that you can burnish each tile and make it blend with the neighboring tiles, for a more realistic aspect. Each tile is overlapping on two sides by a minute amount (usually under 1 mm).

DSC05837.thumb.JPG.f7a24d2da36ca0297225772f6b1e6be7.JPG

DSC05839.thumb.JPG.98d25ad1e1b17709f3f49f68a214130c.JPG

Now, of course, I still have the port side to cover and blend the two sides together: 

DSC05838.thumb.JPG.249b5e74adeb2f6e551c98a22c7c2c2d.JPG

Below are the reference of the copper tape used. Very inexpensive and with two packs, I should be able to cover the entire hull and may have some tiles left for the rudder.

DSC05842.thumb.JPG.ea8478f19f3baaae8bb9cffbafa031bd.JPG

Some close-ups pictures: 

DSC05840.thumb.JPG.40a66edea7a33436f2cebe879715e46c.JPG

DSC05841.thumb.JPG.6bf1771fc218fd4dadfdfeacd8c013e2.JPG

DSC05844.thumb.JPG.b490ff8df9144a0b1ac0843408d94cd8.JPG

Once both sides are ready I will let the copper tarnish to a beautiful red color and will seal it to prevent ripping the tiles and to block the oxidation to a certain amount. I have been running some tests and will be disclosing the chemical soon: no, it is not Wipe On Poly. WOP is not strong enough for such a large covering.

Without additional light, the reddish color is starting to show nicely: 

DSC05843.thumb.JPG.6551cca7d04550859ea6385dd98d70a6.JPG

Yves

Really nice looking work, Yves! Really brings her to life

hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, Step 8 of the second session is over. 

DSC05845.thumb.JPG.6f609c4dfa7881bcc86630c9208a37df.JPG

I am letting you enjoy the plethora of information and guidance that CAF model is giving to the builder: Coppering !!! It is all in the name :-)

That tedious process is finally over, with close to 2,400 tiles cut, embossed, peeled and placed by hand. The number is very close to what the real ship used and that is a testimony to the size of the model tiles (25 mm x 8 mm). I would absolutely recommend the process of using the 3M copper tape, as it is so much easier to prepare, install and glue than pre-cut tiles with CA glue. The burnishing allowed with the copper tape also permits you to finish nicely, those delicate sections where a piece of metal may not fit perfectly.

Finally, if the cost is a consideration, know that I was able to finish this enormous hull with only two rolls of tape and I have plenty left for the rudder or any repair. Cost was $43 including shipping versus the $400 for the tiles + many glue bottles that the kit copper tiles would cost you. A big thank you to all the readers that have convinced me to go with the tape.

DSC05846.thumb.JPG.63291714abd8e0f3ab2989c29dca62d1.JPG

DSC05847.thumb.JPG.a50e04baa718821947b3a7159fc138de.JPG

DSC05850.thumb.JPG.4e17564990f007c89619c7360969a44d.JPG

I am going to let it sit for a few days, as the copper is slowly tarnishing and acquiring that red and warm hue that I enjoy so much. After that I will seal it with Future Floor most likely.

Let's enjoy some pictures of the finished animal: 

DSC05848.thumb.JPG.04aee61cd8be3b673ee8acf79dcc48f2.JPG

DSC05849.thumb.JPG.df0666dab682db615be67ec5a513797d.JPG

DSC05851.thumb.JPG.acba245a00ff2ef59831b173748afc1c.JPG

DSC05855.thumb.JPG.eb129b43ee0cc7a5b9c4dbb18b52b5ba.JPG

DSC05856.thumb.JPG.bb1754d7807a51d1c86e2d059ba1ed7d.JPG

For those who would be tempted to follow this process, here is the invoice for the two rolls of 3M tape: 

DSC05853.thumb.JPG.a968de8dbf6cb5447220fb7395008531.JPG

and the product: 

DSC05854.thumb.JPG.e2f3026bb9356896d7a9cf98b3bc8154.JPG

There are some variations in the color of the tiles, which is actually rather pleasant, but the more I wait and the more everything blends nicely like the foliage in autumn.

I hope you have enjoyed that approach. I know I was very hesitant to start it and I do not regret it in any ways. The only casualty of this process is that I no longer have a full nail on my right thumb, after peeling 2400 copper tiles from their protective adhesive backing. I am going to force on the brewer's yeast supplements to re-grow that nail....

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Anyone coppering a hull should read your posts before starting the sheathing to see a realistic result.   I am not sure I love the shiny finish, but your work has enhanced your ship, whereas the extremely poor sheathing provided in nearly all kits detract from the model.  

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Wow... looks great from here, Yves.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

wow that coppering is beautiful

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Fantastic work, Yves! I can't get over how big this model is also...😲

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild