Speedwell 1752 by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - FINISHED - Ketch Rigged Sloop

Those look really nice, can you mail me a few dozen😜

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hello Greg,

the belaying pins look very realistic. A very fine shape.
In addition, the Speedwell will be a fantastically beautiful model. The beautiful woodwork is admirable.
The standing rigging of the lower masts also looks really great. I look forward to the progress of the work.

The belaying pins are now installed in their shroud deflectors. That's a term I had never read before but that's what they're called according to Markquardt. Perhaps they're called pin rails only when affixed to the inner bulwarks. The deflectors have grooves filed on the outboard edge for the shrouds and lashings inboard and are surprisingly strong once attached.  At any rate, I was able to hone my lathe technique to turn out consistent pins. Next it's on to ratlines. Perhaps Archjofo would fly in from Germany to show me how he successfully duplicated actual practice when securing them to the outer shrouds. Personally. I believe he used Photoshop as this is not humanly possible to do.

IMG_4396.thumb.jpg.c0383b7f506b389af502ed92f8650b23.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I would diplomatically disagree with Marquandt if you are referring to an English ship. Pin racks are the term used by Steel. Very nice work, Greg.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

so very very nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Greg,

Couple weeks late but better late than never in reading up on the belaying pins.   You made my day!   I do wonder how small one can go (1:64??) before considering going to brass.   Even then, starting with the thicker rod makes a ton of sense, thank you very much for that tip.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

10 hours ago, allanyed said:

Greg,

Couple weeks late but better late than never in reading up on the belaying pins.   You made my day!   I do wonder how small one can go (1:64??) before considering going to brass.   Even then, starting with the thicker rod makes a ton of sense, thank you very much for that tip.

Allan

Just for fun I tried to turn a smaller belaying pin from the box wood and was able to turn the pin portion down to 0.010" but when I  turned the handle portion at 0.015" the pin portion whipped and separated off. perhaps you could make them in two sections as Druxey does.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for the effort Greg, very much appreciated

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

Greg and Druxey

Pins in two sections?  I looked through TFFM with no luck, then voila, there it was described in book The Fireship Comet.  Will be giving it a try next time I need belaying pins. 

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Greg wirklich tolle Arbeit und ich war so beeindruckt von deinem Bautagebuch, dass ich mir die Bücher gekauft habe, aber es wird wohl noch etwas dauern, da ich gerade erst mit La Palme angefangen habe.
Gruß Tobias

7FF7E8F3-C615-4798-96C5-BE3944C7B39F.thumb.jpeg.ece97831d64c69d9dc6ac86dc71b1b8f.jpeg

Edited by Tobias

Auf der Werkbank:

Corvette La Palme (L'Amarante) von 1744 POF nach Plänen von Ancre

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32046-la-palme-by-tobias-136-pof/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29843-le-coureur-1776-by-tobias-caf-148/

LE ROCHEFORT - Hafenyacht von 1787 1:36 von Tobias (Monographie von ANCRE)

Very impressive model. I have been fascinated with Ketch rigs for a long time, they have a uniqueness about them as there never seemed very many throughout nautical history. Most seem to have been private fishing or small cargo vessels. Enjoying your blog and looking forward to more.

Brian D. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A small Speedwell update. The lower ratlines have been installed as well as the euphroe tackle and crowsfeet. On many models I see they appear oversize. At 1/4" scale though we should be able to approximate the 1" ratline and 3/4" crowsfeet diameters. For the ratlines I use Guterman polyester Mara 120 thread (dark brown). For the crowsfeet I used 6/0 Uni-Thread, dark brown. I tried 6-0 silk for this but it just kept fraying (such is the nature of silk). I must admit that making the euphroes with their numerous no. 78 drilled holes (there are nine in the main euphroe), setting up the euphroe tackle and rigging the crowsfeet was an exercise in patience (and frustration). I was so pleased with my first attempt until I realized that I had reverse rigged one hole and had to redo the whole thing.  Onward and upward (literally)!

1.thumb.jpg.4e69f2e6edfe7484b96dfc0d9508f502.jpg2_edited-1.thumb.jpg.666b64b5d1fe732ff9203f51ffd1776b.jpg

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Finally some free time to look around.... It's just not right that such works of art are created only for the ships of a few major sea nations 🙂. And out of sheer jealousy, I decided to create plans to enable the construction of a similar jewel 🙂. I love structural models.

That looks sweet, Greg.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Greg:  What thread to you use to make your rope?

Your crows feet look fantastic.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, KenW said:

Greg:  What thread to you use to make your rope?

Your crows feet look fantastic.

All rope is from Syren Ship Model Company. I have made rope but theirs is the best around in my opinion.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Ditto congrats and 'well done' with those crows feet and the euphroe blocks - very nicely balance with fine detail.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Sweet progress, Greg!  I can't argue with you about Syren's rope.  I had considered making rope, and I will do so on a future project, but I think I will buy Chuck's rope on this go-around.  Anyway, fine line is nothing without tremendous skill, and you are doing a fabulous job.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Hi Greg

Its so nice to see you get it wrong sometimes. Makes me feel that i am part of the club. i have a  rope maker from Vanda lay that i have never used. If i do decide to install the gigging on the Thorn i will attempt to make some sized rope rather than just buying already size rope. As always your model is a work of art.  

• 3 months later...

Well gang, Speedwell is finished except for installing the anchors and adding coils over all the belayed ropes. It has been a seven-year collaboration with David Antscherl and I think the finished model has beautiful lines. She has just enough rigging to make it interesting without the repetition of a full ship rigged setup. Thanks to Chuck for his excellent blocks and rope which really dress up the model. All blocks for sails are included even though they are not present.

Thanks to all who have commented on her build over the years and I'll be back in the fall with, hopefully, a new project.

fin1_edited-1.thumb.jpg.112ff38d7a3a7ef14234b4b49274e5a3.jpgfin8.thumb.jpg.be92e4621f3457b302a0054dbe4bd2d4.jpgfin9.thumb.jpg.ac2fac7f53266d26bc56b65e151109dc.jpgfin10.thumb.jpg.6331a915b65c4095e4375e9ccb36d705.jpgfin12.thumb.jpg.526b7752a632bbb6fa1769b56880f0ec.jpgfin13.thumb.jpg.95ec0832d3aa3fa962d08248b210a37f.jpgfin14.thumb.jpg.78bad64e3f8e5a590a3053d73668dd5d.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg that is simply one of the most stunningly elegant models ever! Her lines are so nice, and your workmanship is exceptional. 

It has been a pleasure following along and learning so much. Thank you!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Absolutely masterful job, Greg and beautiful carvings David! I look forward to building this and hope I can come anywhere close to this. This build log and your books will certainly be a massive help.

Ian