HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

I am with Glenn, maybe in 3 or 4 years I will have the skill for this, but I look forward to it.  Hopefully, I am going to be trying the Cheerful in the next year so, but my skill level is still lacking so a few more intermediate skill level boats and I should be there. 

Gary

Life is to short to be serious all the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, your not doing it right.

Current Builds

18th Century Armed Longboat 

Finished Builds

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram

Since building the Triton cross section, it would be something I would definitely be interested in!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Same! I'm very interested in a high quality POF kit 😁 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

I'm in on the POF build as soon as the Winnie is completed. I would probably go with boxwood. Don't want to burn up the laser which means I would have to scratch the framing. I'm looking forward to that. Exciting stuff ahead!

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Chuck, I’m in for the POF project.  I’m sure it will be challenging, but much easier as a group project.  It’s probably my best shot at finishing a fully framed model.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Yes I'm all in! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

My next model will be a POF model. It would be wonderful to have some good choices! But first I need to get my Syren finished 😉

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thats good news.  But alas the Winnie must be completed first.  But we are getting really close.  

it wont be a huge two or 3 decker.  It will be a smaller model fully rigged.  It will be a great first time exercise in framing. 

Nothing to terribly difficult.  I am hoping Jack will be able to do all carvings as well.

Chuck

What great news! A 1/4 scale POF model of a reasonably sized ship and what's more by one of the most innovative designers.

I think there are many of us waiting for this moment!

I'm getting ready for some great hours in my future retirement 😄

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Do you have any specific ships in mind, like a 1:48 scale Niagara or a Schooner like Pilgrim Pride? The Constitution is popular but she is very complex even in smaller scales. There is the Confederacy model that seems to be doing well, I hear that one is also complex. Or would you go for something more simple like a Lobster Smack model that has more details? Whatever decision is made, I look forward to reading more about this new endeavor.

speed1.jpg

Currently under consideration....fully rigged.   Planked above the wales with frames exposed below.

DSC02041.jpg

update1.thumb.jpg.e4fe4d32fc5c8581a1b75351a67bbf6c.jpg

l5783_004.jpg

This is the Speedwell.   The model on the bottom is Greg Herbert's model.  There is a lot of info available mainly because David Antscherl and Greg have already documented it in their two book series.   In addition there are plenty of original drafts and the Contemporary model. Making a kit with laser cut pieces and CNC carvings is a logical next step in my opinion.  I cant think of a better suited "learning" subject for a POF model.  Mainly because of its size and decorative appearance.  Plus the not to burdensome number of guns and two masted rig.  I figured why not do this one before it gets pirated so a legit version could be made available of it.

See here for Greg's beautiful scratch -built version.

and here

I am hoping because of the support and available resources that there will be a great deal of interest in such a project.  Especially if many have the books but not the tools or experience or confidence to build it entirely from scratch.

Not to gunk up this build log too much but please feel free let me know if this is a subject that could be of interest.

This will make a great post Winnie subject! Looking forward to seeing this develop further!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

I chose to model her for a couple of reasons. First,  she would fit into the last available space in my study (fully rigged). Second, she's a relatively easy rig when compared to a three masted ship. But most importantly her carvings and profile make for a beautiful model. I believe that Chuck will make this kit both accessible for first time POF modelers and a beautiful representation of the NMM model.  

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Sure, after I’m done with the Winnie I just started and hope to keep my attention on to completion

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Binnacle test on the model.   This was fun to build.  I have plenty of construction photos which I will soon upload as well.  A big Thank You to David Antscherl who was kind enough to paint the friezes for the binnacle.   More to follow soon.   But breaking for dinner now.

binnacle7.jpg

binnacle8.jpg

binnacle9.jpg

I already have the Speedwell book and plans and is on my to do so I'm very interested. 

Binnacle looks great too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

im sure almost everyone finishing Winnie will have hard time to resist Speedwell. in my opinion is just a perfect in size snd ornamental beauty kind of cross for those skipping and little regretting not trying english cutter or missing its lovely rigging  - smaller than winnie, which is for instance without rig understandably. that would be years to finish :D 

planking above wales will satisfy both worlds. look of finished ship with full hint of frames below . i clap hands absolutely. 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add