Wa’a Kaulua by Glen McGuire – FINISHED - 1/100 - BOTTLE - Traditional Hawaiian Ocean Voyager

Very cool!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

8 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

you've inspired me to definitely do an on-water presentation for my next static build.

Thanks, Ian!  I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

That is one nice diorama Glen, you may not be a florist but I think you could give Bonsai a fair old shake :)  

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

As this Hawaiian project comes to a close, I want to extend a huge MAHALO to everyone that stopped by for a quick look, suffered through the whole dang process, or anything in between. 

@Keith Black, @BANYAN, @Ian_Grant, @Knocklouder, @gjdale, @GrandpaPhil, @Canute, @mtaylor, @Javelin, @Louie da fly, @Landlubber Mike, @gsdpic, @Bryan Woods, @ccoyle, @John Fox III, @JacquesCousteau, @Thukydides@Harvey Golden, @kgstakes, @woodrat, @hollowneck, @wefalck, @Boccherini, @modeller_masa, @Ryland Craze, @_SalD_, @BrochBoating, @BLACK VIKING, @Rik Thistle, @Tomculb, @Elijah, @Archi, @ERS Rich, @DanB, @AJohnson, @Brinkman, @Jim Lad

As always, I greatly appreciate your comments that are laden with wit, humor, insight, encouragement, suggestions, and criticisms.  I’ll say it again because it’s true once again – doing these build logs on MSW makes the project feel like a team effort.  Y’all make everything I try to do a whole lot better.  A sincere thanks to each of you.

Here's the final pictures.  

Gallery2.jpg

Gallery1a.jpg

Gallery5.jpg

Gallery4.jpg

Gallery3.jpg

Gallery6.jpg

Glen that is awesome.  I had to stop cleaning the shipyard and go show the First Mate . I should be back modeling in 4 or 5 weeks . She said to tell you " your so talented " and she agrees with all of us what an amazing build. Can't wait to see you top this ,but you will lol. 

Great job.   :cheers:

Bob M.

Edited by Knocklouder
always typos

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Fantastic work Glen. 

Your plants are out of scale, 2-3 sq ft leaves? But I know you don't mind and it doesn't bother me either! 

Great work on those waterfalls, if there's 1 ghing you won't be improving anytime soon, it's those... Because you can't improve those, they're perfect, colour, opaqueness and topped off by those cotton splashes. 

Didn't notice before, but I love that splash where the water enters the "sea" inside the bottle!

Congratulations on yet another outstanding build Glen - I think this one is your best yet (among a whole lot of other outstanding builds).

That's just amazing, Glen! You always come up with the most imaginative ideas, and the execution is always superb - that cliff-face, that water! Your work is inspirational - gets me thinking I ought to do some dioramas or introduce more interesting details into my own builds. Congratulations on another magnificent build.

Steven

Absolutely stunning work, Glen!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Just picked up on this build this afternoon and read your log from the beginning.  Congratulations on another great and imaginative model. The execution of the SIB itself is wonderful, but placing it into an appropriate environment that is believable and realistic makes it extra special.  Great work!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I would hardly say 'suffering through the build' Glen; I have enjoyed every second of it; especially when you keep building these interesting and well executed projects.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

9 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Fabulous, Glen! I'm now dreaming of a tropical getaway on some idyllic beach.

Thanks, Chris!  That's what I was hoping people would think when they looked at it!

9 hours ago, modeller_masa said:

Astonishing! Congratulation!

Thank you very much, masa!

9 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Wonderful looking presentation, just great Glen. 

Thank you so much, Andrew!

7 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

I should be back modeling in 4 or 5 weeks . She said to tell you " your so talented " and she agrees with all of us what an amazing build.

Hey Bob!  That's good news.  I miss your entertaining build log updates and am glad to hear that you will be back at it soon.  Please tell your First Mate thank you for the kinds words!

6 hours ago, Javelin said:

Didn't notice before, but I love that splash where the water enters the "sea" inside the bottle!

Thank you, Roel!  I had to mangle several paint brushes to get the right angle so I could add that tiny splash inside the bottle.  I'm glad you noticed because it was a lot of work for that small effect!  Also, you are definitely right about the wall plants being out of scale.  I had a real hard time finding tiny fake plants that looked somewhat realistic.

6 hours ago, gjdale said:

Congratulations on yet another outstanding build Glen - I think this one is your best yet (among a whole lot of other outstanding builds).

Thank you for the kind words, Grant.  And thanks for being part of the journey!  I always appreciate you being part of the ride with your comments and suggestions!

3 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

gets me thinking I ought to do some dioramas or introduce more interesting details into my own builds. Congratulations on another magnificent build.

Thanks, Steven!  I hope you do choose to do a diorama on one of your builds.  With your talent, I would love to see what you come up with!  As far as adding interesting details, I'm not sure what more you could do with your mosaic ship.  It is a real work of art in the making.

2 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Absolutely stunning work, Glen!

Thank you, Phil!  And thanks for following along the whole way!

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Just picked up on this build this afternoon and read your log from the beginning.  Congratulations on another great and imaginative model.

Hey Gary!  So glad you found this and I appreciate you taking the time to go through the whole log.  Thanks for the kind words!

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

I would hardly say 'suffering through the build' Glen; I have enjoyed every second of it; especially when you keep building these interesting and well executed projects.

Thank you, Pat!  I am always grateful when you follow my builds.  You always have interesting insight and great suggestions.  And I also must thank you and @Louie da fly for expanding my Aussie vocabulary as well as warning me away from that Fosters stuff!  

Edited by Glen McGuire

Wow, that looks great! The whole concept is very imaginative, and you really pull it off. So many amazing details!

Superb work, Glen. The waterfall area is appropriately lush; reminds me of a trip the Admiral and I took to Maui and drove over to Hana. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Wow Glen!!  What a fantastic SIB and display!  I love the spirit that the diorama imparts on your SIB, really cool!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

A fantastic model, Glen.  Your miniatures are incredible an each new one is better than the last.   I'm looking forward to whatever your next project will be.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, JacquesCousteau said:

Wow, that looks great! The whole concept is very imaginative, and you really pull it off. So many amazing details!

Thank you, Mr. Cousteau!  I appreciate you following along throughout the whole project!

6 hours ago, Canute said:

The waterfall area is appropriately lush; reminds me of a trip the Admiral and I took to Maui and drove over to Hana. 👍

Thanks, Ken!  I've driven that same crazy road and have the emotional scars to prove it!!  But the scenery, in particular the waterfalls along the way make the white knuckle drive worth it.  In fact, those waterfalls along the road to Hana were my inspiration for the SIB display.

6 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I love the spirit that the diorama imparts on your SIB, really cool!

Thank you, Mike!  If you recall, it was studying your build log over and over for the Amati Hannah kit that got me going on this SIB journey!  So I will always be thankful for that!

37 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Your miniatures are incredible an each new one is better than the last.   I'm looking forward to whatever your next project will be.

Mark, thank you for the kind words and for all your encouragement along the way.

Glen, congratulations on another beautifully unique SIB. Do you have a photo of how you have your SIBs displayed?

On 2/16/2024 at 6:02 AM, Keith Black said:

Glen, congratulations on another beautifully unique SIB. Do you have a photo of how you have your SIBs displayed?

Thank you, Keith!  I've got my SIBs on some pipe shelving in the corner of my office (see pic below).  Three of my SIBs are missing from the shelves as they on on display right now at the USS Constitution museum in Boston as part of their annual ship model show.  When I get them back I'll have to add to the shelving since it was full before I completed the Wa'a Kualua.   

20240217_090542.thumb.jpg.c09c410eca677185ba6fd2c1117e5b1a.jpg  

It took my ole memory a minute to think back as to which ones are missing, it is Captain Kid, Independence, and the Kraken that are on loan. How did you ship them to Boston and were you concerned about about letting the children out of the house unsupervised? 

5 hours ago, Keith Black said:

it is Captain Kid, Independence, and the Kraken that are on loan. How did you ship them to Boston and were you concerned about about letting the children out of the house unsupervised? 

You are correct, Keith.  Those are the 3 in Boston right now.  The good news was that I did not have to worry about damage during shipping.  The bad news was that I had to drive them up there from central Texas (28 hrs each way).  The worse news is that I have to drive back up there and get them in a couple of weeks!

To your last question - yeah, there's probably some risk having them on display for 6 weeks somewhat unsupervised (there is usually a model club member or two in the exhibit rooms, but they can't keep an eye on everything).  The museum put the Kraken under a plexiglass case so it is safe, but the two others are just sitting on a table out in the open.  I was told the museum expects 10s of thousands of visitors during the exhibit with many, many busloads of school kiddos.  The biggest risk is probably young 'uns  trying to grab some of the pirate's coins out of Captain Kidd's treasure chest.  I have the bling glued down pretty well, so hopefully it's all still there when I return.      

image.thumb.jpeg.2026509949766ad622aa7fa784dab75c.jpeg